Multimedia Design and Technology is an extremely riveting innovation that has brought a rapid transformation in the way we see, imagine and perceive the world around us. It has made human communication interesting by designing complex and interactive communication models and engaging films and games. If you are someone who is good with computers and has a knack for designing and creating, here is all the information that you will need about the different multimedia courses offered across the world and how a career in Multimedia and Animation can be rewarding for you.
This Blog Includes:
Multimedia Course Details
Multimedia and design are intricately linked with many diverse disciplines. These specializations include Animation, Photography, Visual Effects, Web Design, Writing, Strategic Communication, Media Arts, Digital Art and Intellectual Property. Bachelor’s and Master’s degree courses in Multimedia tend to focus on giving a wholesome understanding of all the core and allied disciplines of Multimedia Technology. On the other hand, short courses like a diploma or certificate course, concentrate on a particular form of Multimedia like Animation, Web Design, Editing, etc. Universities that offer Multimedia courses recognize the need for students to develop skills across the different fields and that’s why they offer a wide variety of subjects and electives.
Mentioned below are some of the key subjects associated with Multimedia Technology:
- Animation: Multimedia courses essentially involve learning and creating animated illustrations. Students get introduced to various concepts like 2D animation, 3D animation, typography, stop motion, etc.
- Photography: Images are a key constituent of every multimedia platform. As a result, multimedia courses involve a number of activities that polish a student’s photographic abilities. In this topic, students learn about angles, horizon, aspect ratios, basic photo editing, etc.
- Post Production: Typically, this stage takes place after the completion of a film shoot or creation of the essential parts of a video or animation. In post-production, skills of integrating the animation with sound, visual effects, motion graphics etc are taught in great detail.
- Web Designing: Animation tools play an important role in making engaging and appealing websites. Students get to grasp an in-depth understanding of web designing during Multimedia courses to explore the importance of animation in creating a website. Moreover, companies are always on the lookout for quality web animators.
- Software Training: Training in popular software applications related to multimedia is absolutely important to acquire the skills central to the field of Multimedia. Some commonly known software applications include Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Cascading Style Sheet (CSS), etc.
The eligibility depends upon the course you are pursuing. There are some multimedia courses you can pursue after 12th where some need work experience and undergraduate degree. Here is the eligibility criteria of multimedia courses:
- Minimum 50% in class 12th is required in every course.
- A bachelor degree in related field for postgraduate multimedia courses is mandatory.
- Work experience in the related field is mandatory in some universities offering postgraduate multimedia courses.
Other Key Components of Multimedia Courses:
- Film Making
- Cartoon Designing
- Design Technology
- Interactive Media
- Graphic Design
- Journalism Ethics
- Media Art
List of Multimedia Courses
Now that you are familiarized with the course details and subjects of these programs, here is a list of best multimedia courses you must consider:
- Diploma in Computing & Systems Development
- Diploma in Graphic Design
- Diploma in Creative Multimedia & Journalism
- Diploma in Product Design & Development
- Bachelor’s in Multimedia Journalism
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Interactive Digital Media
- Bachelor of Science in Digital Communications and Media
- Bachelor/Master of Science in Integrated Digital Media
- Bachelors of Fine Arts in Digital Arts and Experimental Media
- Bachelors of Arts in Interactive Media Design
- Bachelor of Design in Interdisciplinary Digital Studio
- Bachelor of Arts in Multimedia
- Master’s in Computer Graphics and Multimedia
- Master of Design in Design Studies – Visual Communication Design
- MA in Multimedia Journalism
- MA in Journalism & Multimedia Communications
- MA Public Relations & Multimedia Communications
- Master of Science in Computing Science (Multimedia)
Skills for Multimedia courses
If you can find creativity in everything and have eye for detail with great communication skills then you should definitely pursue multimedia. Some of the other skills that will help in pursuing a multimedia course are:
- Problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail
- Managerial skills
- Drawing or sketching
- Focused and eager to learn
Career Prospects and Salary
Multimedia courses prepare a student for rewarding careers in a plethora of fields. After completing a course in Multimedia, many enter the film industry or those with an Engineering background go for graphic-centric industries like gaming and animated movies and some may even choose to enter journalism, media, etc. Some of the popular career prospects are mentioned below:
- Web Designer
- Game Designer
- Digital Photography
- Film Assistant
- Advertising Graphic Creator
- Media Analyst
- Sound or Video Editor
- Recording Engineer
- Publishing Graphics Creator
- Communications Engineer
|Job Profiles||Salary per annum ( in INR)|
|Sound or Video Editor||₹320614|
|Publishing Graphics Creators||₹5,93660|
Global Universities Offering Multimedia Courses
As Multimedia has many aspects like Digital Art, Communication, Engineering and Design, universities generally offer a mix of one or more trending disciplines. Students looking for Multimedia courses should choose their specialization as per their field of interest. Some of the popular choices for various Multimedia courses are listed below:
- Solent University
- University of Kent
- Centennial College
- Bond University
- University of South Australia
- University of Toronto
- New York University
- University of Washington
- Pennsylvania State University
- McMaster University
- University of Alberta
Popular Multimedia Courses Colleges in India
There are many institutions in India offering multimedia courses at different levels such as integrated, diploma, undergraduate degrees, and post-graduate. Now that you are aware of multimedia colleges abroad, here is the list of popular multimedia courses in India:
- St. Xavier’s College
- Maya Academy of Cinematics
- Arena Animation
- Toonz Academy
- Zee Institute of Creative Art (ZICA)
- Whistling Woods International Institute
- IIFA Multimedia
- BrainZ Institute of Design
- AAFT School of Animation
- University of Mysore
To know more, check out Top Animation Colleges in the World!
BA in journalism and mass communication, graphic design, animation are some of the best multimedia courses
The duration depends on the type of study. A diploma in multimedia courses is fro 6 – 12 months, Bachelor in multimedia courses in of 3 – 4 years and postgraduate in multimedia courses is 1 – 2 year
The average salary ranges between Rs. 6,00,000 – 10,00,000 p.a.
How much are graphic designers paid in India?
The average salary of graphic designers in India is Rs. 5,00,000
You can either pursue a further specialization or work in a digital firm as Animator as Rigging Artist, Texture Artist, 3D/ 2D Animator etc.
Starting a career in Multimedia is not devoid of challenges but a good qualification from a reputed university can significantly uplift your chances of having a rewarding career. If you are unsure about which of these above-mentioned Multimedia courses is the right one for you, Leverage Edu experts can help you find an ideal course and best-fit university with the help of our revolutionary and innovative AI Course Finder, so that you can begin your career journey at the right note.