We live in an advanced world of information technology where data plays a much bigger role than you think. Modern marketplaces across the globe are data-driven and all the major decisions are based on trends, facts and statistics suggested by data scientists. Data science as a field is growing exponentially with lucrative opportunities for prospective candidates. Read our exciting blog to unravel the process of – How to become a data scientist?
This Blog Includes:
What is Data Science?
Data Science as a field of study involves a blend of algorithms, principles of machine learning and tools that are used to record, store and analyze data to obtain significant and useful information. Data scientists extract and interpret data from an extensive range of sources like log files, social media, sensors, customer transactions, to unlock useful information to influence the decisions of business and stimulate competitive advantage over other counterparts.
Steps to Become a Data Scientist
Being a Data Scientist is not an easy task, one needs to have a good set of technical skills to master this profession. Leverage Edu has formulated a step-wise guide to help you out in finding the answer of how to become a data scientist.
- It is essential to have a technical background in accordance to sign up for a profession that requires the handling of specialized tools. Thus, you need to have a science-related background.
- Earn a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university. Have your bachelor’s degree under the main fields of IT, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, or another related field. Your bachelor’s degree can lead your job in data visualization specialist, management analyst and market research analyst. Or, you can also directly go for BSc in Data Science offered by leading universities abroad.
- Get a masters degree from a recognized university in Data science or related fields. You can choose relevant fields like machine learning algorithm developer, statistics or data engineering.
- In order to get certified get exposure before you start working as a Data Scientist. Work as an Intern in business units, healthcare sectors, medical units etc. If you think there are some additional skill you need to master, take up short term certificate courses.
List of Data Science Courses
Doing a suitable course in the field can answer your query on – How to Become a Data Scientist? Given below are the courses as different academic levels:
|Bachelor of Science in Data Science||Bachelor of Data Science and Analytics||Bachelor of Computer Science in Data Science|
|Bachelor of Science in Data Science and Biochemistry||Bachelor of Science in Data Science/ Health Science||Bachelor of Science in Computer Science- Artificial Intelligence and Data Science|
|Bachelor of Data Science and Decisions / Bachelor of Law||BSc (Hons) Computer and Data Science with a Foundation Year||Data Science and Visualisation BSc (Hons)|
|Master of Engineering – Electrical and Computer Engineering (Data Science)||Master of Data Science||Master of Science in Computer Science – Computational Data Science|
|Master of Business Data Science||MS in Information Systems and Technology, Data Science and Analytics||Master of Professional Studies – Data Science|
|MSc in Computer Science – Data Science||Master of Data Science and Innovation||Health Data Science MSc|
|PhD in Computational Statistics and Data Science||Professional Doctorate Data Science||Doctor of Philosophy in Medical Biophysics – Data Science and Computational Biology|
|Doctor of Philosophy in Operations Research – Data Science and Statistics||Doctor of Philosophy in Machine Learning and Data Science||Doctor of Philosophy in Electrical Engineering- Data Science and Artificial Intelligence|
Curious to know what is taught in these courses? Find out through our exclusive blog on the syllabus of Data Science!
To do away with the confusion of how to become a data science, here is the list of popular universities you can pursue your preferable degree in Data Science.
- Pennsylvania State University – University Park
- University of Washington
- University of Edinburgh
- The University of Sydney
- Massey University
- Northeastern University
- SUNY Stony Brook University
- Griffith University
- University of Bristol
- New Jersey Institute of Technology
- University of Arizona
- Yale University
- Trinity College Dublin
- Claremont Graduate University
- University College Cork
- University of New South Wales
- University of Toronto
- Northeastern University
Now that you are familiar with popular universities and courses in Data Science, let’s take a look at job prospects it contains:
- IT Systems Analyst
- Healthcare Data Analyst
- Operations Analyst
- Data Scientist
- Data Engineer
- Quantitative Analyst
- Data Analytics Consultant
- Digital Marketing Manager
- Project Manager
- Transportation Logistics Specialist
Have a look at the Data Science Courses in India!
- Fidelity Investments
We hope you’ve found the answer to how to become a data scientist. If you think this is the best career option for you, then get in touch with Leverage Edu. We will help you find a suitable course, university and scholarship to make your dream career a reality.