One of the most common English proficiency tests recognised in American and Canadian universities and other educational institutions abroad is the TOEFL. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), administered by ETS, examines all four academic English skills — reading, listening, speaking, and writing — in the same way, that these skills are utilised in classes at colleges and universities.
TOEFL is now accepted for SDS entry in Canada. ETS has introduced the TOEFL Home edition for applicants wishing to take the TOEFL test during the pandemic from the comfort of their homes. Let’s move forward and know about the TOEFL iBT exam and much more!
To make the exam easier and more concentrated towards university education TOEFL ibt has been updated with new guidelines in 2023. The exam duration has been reduced to 2 hours and the number of tasks and questions has changed accordingly. These changes will be effective from the 26th of July 2023.
Highlights: TOEFL iBT
|Exam Name||TOEFL iBT|
|TOEFL Full Form||Test of English as a Foreign Language|
|Conducting Body||ETS (Educational Testing Service)|
|Widely Popular As||English language proficiency test|
|Generally Accepted By||Universities in the USA and Canada|
|Mode of Exam||TOEFL iBT: Internet-based test|
|TOEFL iBT Fee||US$190 (INR 16,900)|
|Score Range||Reading: 0–30
This Blog Includes:
- Highlights: TOEFL iBT
- Overview TOEFL iBT
- Why You Should Choose TOEFL iBT?
- TOEFL Exam Dates 2023
- TOEFL iBT Home Edition
- TOEFL iBT Eligibility
- TOEFL iBT Registration Process and Fee
- TOEFL iBT Exam Pattern
- TOEFL iBT Score
- TOEFL iBT Practice Paper
- Preparation Tips
Overview TOEFL iBT
TOEFL iBT (Internet-Based Test) is the most popular exam and is conducted at a TOEFL test centre. TOEFL iBT Home Edition, which is an exact replica of the TOEFL iBT test that you would take at a test centre but is administered from the privacy of your own home and is overseen online by a human proctor, administers the Reading, Listening, and Writing sections. Three days following the paper sections, you take the Speaking section online at home. A human proctor will be watching your speaking session online. There is no longer a TOEFL PBT (Paper-delivered) Test.
Why You Should Choose TOEFL iBT?
Here are some reasons why you should TOEFL iBT exam:
- Globally Acceptable- Universities notice and recognise your readiness for success when you choose the TOEFL iBT test to demonstrate your English ability. The TOEFL iBT test is the top English-language exam in the world for study, work, and immigration, and it is recognised by more than 11,500 universities and institutions throughout the globe.
- Test Your Approach- You can take the TOEFL iBT exam at the test centre or at home according to your convenience. The Paper Edition choice is now available in several nations.
- Flexible Registration Process: The ETS TOEFL exam registration process is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Candidates have several options for registering for the TOEFL exam, including in person, over the phone, by mail, or online (via an authorised agent).
- The TOEFL online registration period concludes seven days before the exam, and late registration shuts four days before the test date with a US$40 (INR 3,900) late charge. Candidates should also be aware of these dates. Candidates from India who plan to take the TOEFL must pay a US$190 (INR 16,900) exam fee in India.
TOEFL Exam Dates 2023
In accordance with the availability of TOEFL exam dates, test takers must register in advance. For the TOEFL, applicants receive 50 exam dates. Exams might have been taken at the authorised test sites prior to the pandemic outbreak. Test takers can now sit for online tests in a monitored environment at home.
Take a look at the 2023 TOEFL exam dates:
|July 2023||08, 09, 12, 15, 22, 23, 26.|
|August 2023||04, 05, 09, 19, 23, 26, 27.|
TOEFL iBT Home Edition
Most applicants prefer the TOEFL iBT because it is more convenient and requires fewer sources. For applicants who are finding it difficult to get to the TOEFL test centres because of the COVID-19 outbreak, ETS has now set up TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition. With the exception of Iran and Mainland China, the at-home edition is accessible worldwide. Both the format and the scoring system are the same as on the standard TOEFL exam. Through ProctorU, the test is overseen by a human proctor.
TOEFL iBT Home Edition requirements that must be met:
- Desktop or laptop
- Check if the browser can be downloaded and installed
- Run the ProctorU equipment check
- Use only internal or external speakers
TOEFL iBT Eligibility
ETS did not list any prerequisites that must be met in order to take the TOEFL. Candidates must review specific requirements listed on the official website before registering. ETS did not specify an applicant’s maximum age either. Candidates must graduate from any accredited Indian Board or University with a higher school (10+2) degree in order to be eligible.
TOEFL iBT Registration Process and Fee
Test takers can register for the TOEFL online, offline, or using the official TOEFL app, which is accessible on the Google Play store. The exam’s application process is open all year round. Using your ETS account to register for the TOEFL exam online or via the official app is the simplest option. Additionally, applicants can register by phone or mail to receive their TOEFL results. A few simple procedures can be taken to finish TOEFL registration. In India, the TOEFL exam costs about INR 16,900
To construct a verified profile, candidates must log in to the TOEFL website. When signing up for the TOEFL, the passport should be one of your main forms of identification. You should spell your name accurately. To complete the registration, one just needs to adhere to a few simple steps.
- Fill out the important information as required during registration
- Review the information provided by you
- Finally, pay the TOEFL iBT Application fees to complete the registration
- Registering for the TOEFL iBT examination using your ETS account is the fastest, easiest process to register. Once you finish the registration you will receive a confirmation email from ETS. Keep this email safe until test day.
Also Read: TOEFL Sample Speaking Questions
The TOEFL registration form must be mailed to the registered address by test-takers.
- The applicant must first obtain the TOEFL iBT registration form.
- Candidates must manually type out specified codes on the registration form, which are available online.
- From the alternatives listed on the form, one may begin a payment.
- The candidate must send the completed form to RRC after filling it out (Regional Registered Centers)
- They must receive mail at least one month prior to the test date.
- The candidate must call RRC at least three days before the registration deadline if they do not receive a confirmation.
TOEFL iBT Exam Pattern
Scores on the TOEFL exam range from 0-120. There are a total of 4 sections, each with a TOEFL score range of 0 to 30. Since TOEFL is a test of language competency, the ETS TOEFL mostly uses the following TOEFL exam pattern to evaluate candidates’ language proficiency:
Candidates must read two 700-word passages for the TOEFLiBT reading section and respond to 20 questions, each of which has a different question type. The goal of the Reading section is to gauge a candidate’s comprehension and reading skills. The TOEFL iBT includes reading passages on a number of topics. The TOEFL iBT Reading passages have 35 minutes of answers per passage. Scores for this section vary from 0 to 30.
There are two tasks in the TOEFL Writing section: an integrated task and a writing for academic discussions. This portion lasts 29 minutes, during which the candidates must complete two writing exercises totalling 500–600 words. The final and most difficult part of the TOEFL exam, when candidates’ listening, speaking, and reading abilities are assessed simultaneously, is TOEFL Writing. The TOEFL Writing raw score range is 0–5, which is again translated to a scale of 0–30.
There are essentially two components to the TOEFL listening section: lectures and conversations. There are a series of questions asked concerning the content that was delivered after each talk or lecture. These questions must be answered within 36 minutes by the candidates. From now on the TOEFL Listening section consists of 3 talks on a variety of broad topics pertinent to university life and 2 academic lecture excerpts, each lasting 3-5 minutes.
One independent and three integrated speaking assignments make up the TOEFL Speaking section. Three interconnected tasks and one independent task are present. The TOEFL Speaking score ranges from 0 to 30. Four tasks altogether; the first ones are about well-known subjects, while the others might include lectures, quick reads, and chats.
TOEFL iBT Score
The TOEFL iBT score ranges from 0 to 120. The overall score on the TOEFL scorecard is calculated by adding the scaled scores for each component of the test.
|Section||Score Range||Expertise Level|
|Reading||0-30||A score of 22 to 30: High level A score of 15 to 21: Intermediate level A score of 0 to 14: Low-level|
|Listening||0-30||A score of 22 to 30: High level A score of 15 to 21: Intermediate level A score of 0 to 14: Low-level|
|Speaking||0-30||A score of 26 to 30: Good level A score of 18 to 25: Fair level A score of 10to 17: Limited level A score of 0 to 9: Weak level|
|Writing||0-30||A score of 24 to 30: Good level A score of 17 to 23: Fair level A score of 1 to 16: Limited level|
TOEFL iBT Practice Paper
The TOEFL’s weaknesses and strengths must be thoroughly researched by candidates. To ensure effective guidance to attain the goal, TOEFL preparation recommendations must include a specific target score. Here are a few pointers for the test:
- For vocabulary learning, use flashcards
- Create your own sentences using 5 new words you routinely learn
- Try to complete as many practice exams as you can for better results
- Create a personalised study plan for the TOEFL
- Learn vocabulary from a variety of academic subjects
- Before attempting, always read the questions
- Learn to skim and look for passages in documents
- Read journals, novels, and more to enhance your vocabulary
- Reading challenging books is the best approach to increasing TOEFL reading scores
- When reading the situations, applicants must read slowly
- Practice taking various TOEFL practice exams every day to improve your score
However, many test-takers have described TOEFL as being difficult to prepare for, while the reading component of IELTS is thought to be considerably simpler than TOEFL. Both of these tests differ depending on the test-taker and how well their English language skill is.
The validity of the TOEFL score is for only two years.
ETS has kept the fee of the TOEFL iBT® Special Home Edition test at par with the test centre rates, i.e. US$185. To increase test-taker accessibility, ETS has covered any additional costs.
The typical TOEFL score is 90. It might be between 85 and 95. A TOEFL score of over 100 is regarded as good.
Candidates who want to prepare for IELTS or any other language proficiency test, can Build a plan with Leverage Edu‘s Leverage Live classes and our top trainers and strengthen your English score as well as your application so that you can secure your spot in your dream college.
Fulfil your dreams of studying abroad with Leverage Edu, to get a free counselling session, reach us at 1800572130.