For students who are exploring academic programs abroad, Singapore is a prime destination. With numerous pristine Universities and rich cultural heritage, the lion city of Singapore attracts scores of international students around the world. One of the most sought-after fields globally, Engineering courses are amongst the choicest programs offered by the technical institutes and universities in Singapore. If you are planning to study a diploma, bachelor’s or master’s in Engineering in Singapore, then you have surely come to the right blog! Let’s explore the top Engineering Colleges in Singapore and the quality educational programs they have on offer.
Must Read: Singapore Student Visa
This Blog Includes:
- Why Pursue Engineering in Singapore?
- Engineering Colleges in Singapore: Eligibility Criteria
- Top Engineering Colleges in Singapore
- Engineering Colleges in Singapore: Fees
- Nanyang Technological University
- National University of Singapore
- Singapore Management University
- Singapore University of Technology and Design
- Singapore Institute of Technology
- Cost of Studying
Why Pursue Engineering in Singapore?
Apart from the ethnic lifestyle and unique food cuisines of Singapore, there are many benefits of choosing to study in Singapore. Here are some of them:
- Cost of higher education in Singapore is much more affordable than in developed countries like the USA and UK. The universities also provide different types of scholarships to those who excel in international entrance exams or possess a brilliant merit record.
- To support international students, the Government of Singapore offers a Tuition Grant Scheme which subsidizes tuition fees for students who choose to work in the country for at least 3 years.
- Apart from the native language of Singapore, English is also sposken commonly in the Country as a primary language. It is convenient for students to commute, communicate and pursue their part-time employment opportunities without facing language barriers.
- Singapore has a culturally diverse environment with people from different ethnicities and backgrounds who coexist with each other. This translates into the students developing a sense of comfort and acceptance of other beliefs, supplementing their academic growth with personal growth.
Engineering Colleges in Singapore: Eligibility Criteria
To get admission in one of the Engineering Colleges in Singapore, students must qualify on some eligibility criteria prescribed by the Universities. Each University has its own set of requirements, however, some of the common requirements for Engineering colleges in Singapore:
- For undergraduate Engineering programmes, universities only require applicants to have a good academic record, especially in high school. Some courses may require the students to appear in entrance exams.
- For graduate engineering programs, students should have completed a Bachelor’s degree in the relevant field of further study and a good score in gateway examinations like GRE and GATE.
- For all courses, universities require students to qualify in English proficiency examinations like IELTS and TOEFL, while some academic institutions might only require good scores in English examinations at the school level.
- To pursue specialised 1-year IT Diploma courses, students must have a valid employment pass in Singapore, along with a bachelor’s degree in Engineering.
Also Read: Study in Singapore Without IELTS
Top Engineering Colleges in Singapore
Among the many available Institutions spread across the country, here are the Best Engineering Colleges in Singapore:
|National University of Singapore||11||1|
|Nanyang Technological University||13||3|
|Singapore Management University||511-520||99|
|Singapore University of Technology and Design||–||–|
|Singapore Institute of Technology||–||–|
Engineering Colleges in Singapore: Fees
The fees for the top engineering colleges in Singapore are tabulated below.
|Name of Universities||Fees|
|National University of Singapore||5,05,400 – 12,16,000 INR|
|Nanyang Technological University||11,42,300 – 34,42,700 INR|
|Singapore University of Technology and Design||14,71,300 – 14,87,100 INR|
|SIM University||3,38,000 – 17,84,400 INR|
|Management Development Institute of Singapore (MDIS)||6,15,900 – 13,80,000 INR|
|Singapore Institute of Technology||14,36,300 – 14,90,400 INR|
Nanyang Technological University
Founded in 1981, Nanyang Technological University featured 11th globally in the QS World University Rankings 2021 and is amongst the best universities and ranks 3rd in Asia. It is a public University, regarded by most as the best in the country to pursue Engineering. At the top of our list of major Engineering colleges in Singapore, NTU is especially known for its diverse Undergraduate programs, offering the following programs to its students:
Top Undergraduate Engineering Programs at Nanyang University are offered in
- Aerospace Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Electric and Electronic Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Marine Engineering
- Information Engineering and Media
The University also offers work-study programs for skill development and to equip students with essential industrial exposure and a practical learning curriculum.
National University of Singapore
Founded in 1905, the National University of Singapore is one of the oldest and most reputed Universities in the country. With its three main campuses in Kent Ridge, Outram and Bukit Timah, the institution offers traditional four-year Bachelor of Engineering degrees in the following disciplines:
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Marine Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Industrial & Systems Engineering
To complement these traditional degrees, the University offers unique specialization courses which is one of the top reasons why international students consider it amongst the best Engineering colleges in Singapore. These are complementary to the general course, offered to the students during the last two years of the four-year course. Prominent ones among these are:
- Aeronautical (Mechanical Engineering)
- Digitalisation in Urban Infrastructure (Civil Engineering or Environmental Engineering)
- Internet of Things (Computer or Electrical Engineering)
- Robotics (Biomedical, Computer, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering)
Singapore Management University
Singapore Management University has a dedicated faculty for Engineering studies, which is referred to as the School of Information Systems. One of the choicest Engineering colleges in Singapore, it has an exceptionally high employment rate of 97.8% while offering specialised IT courses at the undergraduate level under a B.Sc degree in the following subjects:
- Information Systems
- Computer Science
- Computing and Law
It also offers specialized higher education courses at the master’s and PhD level, some of which are:
- M.Sc Computing
- M.Phil Information Systems
- Masters of IT in Business (QS Rank 1 in Asia)
- Doctor of Engineering
Apart from this, Singapore Management University is also known for its Management and Social Sciences school, imparting higher education in all career fields.
Singapore University of Technology and Design
Founded by MIT professor Thomas L. Magnanti in 2009, Singapore University of Technology and Design is an autonomous institute imparting specialised education in Engineering, Architecture and Design. As one of the specialised technical and Engineering colleges in Singapore, the institution has developed its own unique educational curriculum for undergraduate students with Engineering courses spanning across the total duration of three and a half years. The courses are uniform for the first three semesters, after which students choose a specialization they want to pursue from their four pillars of study:
- Architecture and Sustainable Design
- Engineering Product Development
- Engineering Systems and Design
- Information Systems Technology and Design
The University is also well known for its research programs, which are run in collaboration with MIT. There are two-year master’s programs as well as student exchange programs, where students complete one year of their education from the USA.
Singapore Institute of Technology
Established in 2009, Singapore Institute of Technology is another preferred one in the list of top Engineering colleges in Singapore and is renowned for its modern approach towards education. It offers unique specialization degrees to students, mainly at the undergraduate level. These degrees are highly job-specific and application-based, teaching students the intricacies of the industry of their choice. These courses are as follows:
- Aircraft Systems Engineering
- Marine Engineering
- Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering (Land and Building Services)
- Telematics (Intelligent Transportation Systems Engineering)
- Civil Engineering, MEngTech
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering, MEngTech
Apart from the aforementioned ones, take a look at some other renowned colleges in Singapore which are popular for Engineering programs:
- SIM University
- National Institute of Education
- Design Technology Institute(DTI)
- The Logistic Institute-Asia Pacific
- Curtin University of Technology
- James Cook University
- Singapore Institute of Engineering Technologists
- PSB Academy
- Shines College
- German Institute of Science and Technology
Cost of Studying
The cost of stufying engineering in Singapore is comparatively higher for top ranking universities as compared to off beat universities. The cost of studying can be divided in three cateries, tuition fees, university costs, and cost of living. The university costs may be inclusive of application fee, service fee, etc. The university costs range from S$ 400 – S$ 800/month (INR 21,805- 43,618). The cost of living may include various expenses that are tabulated below.
|Monthly Rent||INR 10,000-18,000|
|Transportation (Bus/Train)||INR 7,000|
So, this wraps up all the leading Engineering colleges in Singapore. Being one of the best countries for Engineering courses, Singapore offers quality education and specialised technical programs equipped with research prospects and real-world exposure. Planning to study in Singapore? Reach out to our Leverage Edu experts and counsellors and we will assist you in picking the best course and university as well as sorting out the admission process and crafting impressive SOP and LORs to ensure that you get successfully shortlisted. Book a free meeting with us today!