Management Information System (MIS) is a system designed in order to study people, technology, organizations and the relationships among them. MIS provides selected decision-oriented information needed by management to plan and evaluate the activities of the organization. Needless to say, Information systems is one of the most promising fields today. MIS is a graduate-level degree program. The UK acts as a major destination for students for a degree in MIS because of the state-of-the-art education infrastructure and quality of education that it provides. Read this blog to understand more about pursuing MIS in the UK.
Explore: February Intake Universities in UK
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study MIS in UK
- Top 10 Universities for MIS in UK
- Top MIS in UK Programs
- Other Prominent Universities Offering MIS in UK
- Eligibility for MIS in UK
- Application Process of MIS in UK
- Documents Required
- Scholarships Available
- Career Scope After MIS from UK
Why Study MIS in UK
An MIS degree is a mixture of computer science and information systems with a focus on business. The importance of management information systems is increasing day by day. Pursuing an MIS in UK is one of the most popular options considered by international students. The UK provides students with the most suitable methods, techniques and approaches in order to help them understand the technical as well as the management work in the field. Here are a few advantages of pursuing MIS in UK.
- The UK helps students to pursue a degree in information systems from one of the best schools in the world.
- It prepares students for both research posts as well as for management and consultancy options.
- The diverse student population in the UK helps students in networking opportunities and helps them learn about different cultures.
- United Kingdom is home to some of the best research facilities in the world.
The average tuition fees of a masters in the UK is INR 18.62 lakhs for a full-time course whereas it is INR 9.32 lakhs for bachelor’s courses. This is just an estimate and it varies depending upon course or the university you might apply for.
Top 10 Universities for MIS in UK
Mentioned below for your reference is a list of top 10 universities to pursue MIS in UK:
- The University of Manchester
- University of Nottingham
- Warwick Business School
- The London School of Economics and Political Science
- Cranfield University
- University of Glasgow
- University of Southampton
- Newcastle University
- Aston University
- Queen Mary, University of London
Must Read: Study in UK
Cranfield University is one of the top universities for pursuing MIS in UK. The course provides them with an ideal environment under which the students can learn in order to secure a good job in their chosen field. The university helps them in strengthening their research skills by making them work alongside a strong research team and with leading academics as well as industrial practitioners.
University of Glasgow
MIS in UK program at the University of Glasgow helps the students with an in-depth understanding of the technical terms and the contemporary business and management issues. They encourage innovative thinking and help in developing analytical and interpretive skills through practical exercises.
The MIS in UK program has been developed in collaboration with the industry partners which ensures that this program will provide the students with the specialist skills which are relevant in the market. Their vast majority of modules are very hands-on and involve applied learning activities which helps the students to develop a practical skill set.
The University of Manchester
MIS in the UK from The University of Manchester is a unique blend of management and information system. It helps students train for both managerial and information tech roles. The course revolves around planning, development implementation, and management of information systems. The university is ranked 7th in the UK and 11th in the world for development studies (QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021).
Warwick Business School
Warwick Business School is one of the prestigious institutions offering MIS in UK. The course is more focused following on a practical and professional approach rather than theoretical learning. The course develops skills managerial skills, strategic planning, and the use of digital technology used in various organizations. The university also admits students from different undergraduate streams and has close relationships with top MNCs like EY, Barclays, PA Consulting, Fetch.ai, Google, and Deloitte.
Top MIS in UK Programs
There are various MIS in UK programs for the benefit of students. We have made a comprehensive list of the top MIS in UK programs. They are mentioned below:
- MSc Management of Information Systems & Digital Innovation
- MSc Management and Information Systems
- MSc Management and Information Systems
- MSc in Information Management
- MSc in Information Systems and Operations Management
Must Read: MBA in Information Technology
Other Prominent Universities Offering MIS in UK
The UK is one of the popular choices among students for pursuing higher education. One of the reasons being all institutions offer quality education and best-in-class faculties. Other than the top 10 institutions, here are other prominent universities offering MIS in the UK:
- Royal Holloway, University of London
- University of Sheffield
- Queen Mary, University of London
- Heriot-Watt University
- University of Portsmouth
- University of Huddersfield
- Liverpool John Moores University
- De Montfort University
- University of Greenwich
- University of West London
- Kingston University
- University of South Wales
- University of Bedfordshire
Eligibility for MIS in UK
The eligibility criteria to qualify for the MIS in UK course is mentioned below:
The eligibility criteria for MIS in UK degree programs depend on the university. Every university has a set standard of eligibility requirements that must be met by every applicant. Here are the common eligibility criteria for MIS in UK:
- An applicant must have a 3-4 bachelor’s degree from a recognized university in the related field in the first division. (60-80%)
- All applicants have to submit English proficiency test scores such as IELTS and TOEFL. The score of IELTS should be overall 6.5 or above and the TOEFEL score should be above the overall 90 or above.
- All applicants have to submit valid GMAT/GRE scores
- Applicants will the basic knowledge of information systems, IT, Quantitative methods, and business administration are preferred.
Application Process of MIS in UK
- UCAS – All the students interested in pursuing MIS in UK have to register through UCAS. UCAS is an admission service that is used to apply at UK universities. (https://www.ucas.com/)
- Username and password – After registering with UCAS you will receive a username and password.
- Choose your course – Select the course you wish to pursue from the list.
- Application Form- Applicants have to fill out the application form through UCAS. The application form will include:
- A course of your choice
- Personal Details
- Educational Qualifications
- Personal statement
- Application Submission – After completing your application you have to submit the application form and pay the required application fee of £20
- Track your application – If the applicant is selected he/she will receive the mail. Applicants can also track the progress of their application UCAS track or through the university application tracker.
- Interview round – Some universities call applicants for a personal interview round. Due to covid-19 interviews are conducted virtually, we will update if these norms change.
Here is a list of necessary documents required at the time of submitting your application:
- Official academic transcripts
- Scanned copy of passport
- CV/ Resume
- Letter of Recommendation
- English language proficiency test scores
- Statement of Purpose
- Two Reference Letters
- Postgraduate applicants have to submit a translation of the degree certificate in case the degree certificate is in another language other than English.
There are various scholarships available for students who want to pursue MIS in UK. Candidates can apply for these scholarships and avail their benefits. The scholarships for MIS in UK programs are listed below:
- Queen Elizabeth Commonwealth Scholarships
- Commonwealth Shared Scholarships
- JN Tata Endowment
- Postgrad Solutions Study Bursaries
- Marshall Scholarships
- Commonwealth Scholarships
Career Scope After MIS from UK
There is high demand for MIS graduates all over the world along with the UK itself. MIS graduates can find jobs in the areas of creating and sustaining complex financial computing systems. Both undergraduates and postgraduates can grab a good job with a pretty good salary as well. An average salary for an MIS employee varies between INR 30 lakh p.a. And INR 60 lakh per annum. You will have a lot of career opportunities working in the UK itself with a lot of exciting work culture. However, the average salary of an MIS employee varies from job to job as well as from region to region. For example, a salary of an MIS employee working in London earns a lot more than an MIS employee working in Hertfordshire even if their work is the same.
Here are some top job profiles with their annual salary in the UK:
|Job Profiles||Salary per annum (GBP)|
|Business Application Developer||£30599|
|Business Intelligence Analyst||£38,995|
Also Read: Career in Information Security
No, it won’t have any academic score but the university should be informed about it.
The students must have a 6.5 or above IELTS score to pursue MIS in UK.
Yes, students can work up to 20 hours per week.
Yes, all universities require valid GMAT/GRE scores for pursuing MIS in UK
No, provisional degrees are not accepted, you should have your official degree certificate.
You will need a Tier 4 (General) student visa for studying in the universities in UK
We hope that this blog was able to help you get familiarized with pursuing MIS in the UK. Confused about which program is best for yourself? Our Leverage Edu experts will help you find the right course and university as per your interests and career aspirations! Sign up for a free session now!