All of us dream to study abroad but very few of us get the chance of transforming this dream into reality. The UK is a popular study abroad destination and is an educational hub with some of the best universities in the world. However, studying abroad means taking language proficiency tests like IELTS and TOEFL. If you want to save yourself from taking these tests and are looking for an alternative like Duolingo, then this blog is just for you! Here in this blog, we talk about Duolingo accepted universities in UK. Read on to know more!
|Conducted For||English Proficiency for higher studies|
|Result||Within 24-48 hours|
This Blog Includes:
- What is the Duolingo English Test?
- Benefits of Taking the Duolingo Test
- Why Study in UK?
- Duolingo Exam Pattern
- Duolingo Accepting Universities in UK
- Duolingo Accepting Universities in UK for Fall 2023 intake
Must Read: Universities Accepting Duolingo Scores
What is the Duolingo English Test?
Duolingo, like other English proficiency exams, evaluates applicants based on four criteria: reading, writing, listening and speaking. Earlier many universities do not use to accept Duolingo English proficiency exam scores. However, with the pandemic causing global disruption and everything changing to digital means, several universities have begun exploring alternatives to traditional English proficiency examinations. Because the exam centres were closed, IELTS and TOEFL could not be administered. As a result, the number of educational institutions in countries like the UK, USA, Canada and more is accepting Duolingo results is increasing at an alarming rate. Now, any person with a camera, microphone, speakers, and reliable internet can take the test from the comfort of their home.
Benefits of Taking the Duolingo Test
If you want to appear for Duolingo and want to find out Duolingo accepted scores in UK, then you should first know the benefits of taking this test. They are listed below:
- Accessibility: This test can be taken from within the comforts of your home.
- Affordable: The Duolingo test is more affordable as compared to other English language proficiency tests. The Duolingo test cost is just $49 (INR 3,605), whereas other tests cost $200 (INR 14717).
- Time Duration: The time duration of the test is just 45 Minutes! It is must shorter than other tests that have a minimum time of 2 hours, 45 minutes.
- Faster Results: The results for this test come within a short span of 24-48 hours. Therefore, the results provided here are much faster as compared to other English language proficiency tests.
- Mock tests: There are multiple mock tests available at Duolingo before you take the actual test. It helps in preparing you better for the final test.
- Acceptance: This test is accepted in over 3000 institutes in the world and 68 of them are in the UK.
Why Study in UK?
Before we move on to find out about Duolingo accepted universities in UK, let us quickly brief ourselves about why should you choose UK as your study destination. The reasons are listed below:
- Global environment: Since UK is one of the most popular study abroad destinations, you are likely to find a wide variety of people from different countries over here. The exposure you will get here by meeting people from different countries and cultures, will do you good and help in enhancing your personality,
- Outstanding academics: Some of the oldest and most prestigious universities are in UK. Not only are these universities reputed but also have some brilliant teachers who make the process of learning better and fun!
- Work opportunities: To help develop a good work ethic, students in UK get the opportunity to work from the very beginning. Just last year, the Government of UK announced a Graduate-Route, under which if you successfully complete your undergraduate or postgraduate course, all international students will be permitted to stay back in UK and work for up to 2 years.
Duolingo Exam Pattern
Before knowing the top Duolingo accepted universities in UK, let’s first quickly try to understand the exam pattern of the same. The test offered by Duolingo is an adaptive test which means that the test keeps on getting more difficult with more right answers and vice versa. The test measures different aspects of the English language through:
- Completing missing letters from a section of a text
- Finding out real English words from the fake ones
- Typing the statement which the candidates hear
- Describing an image
After this, the candidates are required to take a video interview wherein they can speak on any one of the two topics and the same process happens with writing as well. The score comes on a scale of 10-160 within 2 days of completion of the exam. Apart from all this, even schools accepting Duolingo scores benefit from a much larger applicant pool, providing them with a comprehensive approach to look at the students by looking at their video interviews, written samples and their scores.
Duolingo Accepting Universities in UK
A total of 68 Universities in UK accept the Duolingo test for English Proficiency. Mentioned below are some of the Duolingo accepted universities in UK for university admissions:
- Anglia Ruskin University
- Bangor University
- University of Bristol
- Brunel University
- University of Birmingham
- Queen’s University Belfast
- Brunel University
- Middlesex University
- University of Hertfordshire
- Leeds Beckett University
- Plymouth University
- University of Lincoln
- University of Portsmouth
- Kingston University
- London South Bank University
- University of Westminster
- Solent University
- University of the West of England, Bristol
- University of Leicester
- University of East of Anglia
- University of West of Scotland
- University of Strathclyde
- University of South Wales
- University of Aberdeen
- Staffordshire University
- University of Surrey
- University of Bangor
- Glasgow Caledonian University
- Nottingham Trent University
- Hult International Business School
- Bishop Grosseteste University
- University of Hertfordshire
- London College of Contemporary Arts
- University of Bath
- Birmingham City University
- University of the West of Scotland
- Sheffield Hallam University
Let us now look at some of these universities in detail.
University of Edinburgh
Founded in 1582, the University of Edinburgh is spread over 5 acres. It ranks sixth amongst the oldest universities in the UK and is one of the Duolingo accepted universities in UK. If you are able to prove that you cannot appear in a test centre due to Covid 19, your Duolingo scores will be duly considered here. The cut off is 115 and it is university-wide. However, the cut off may go up to 145, depending upon the course chosen by you.
Must Read: University of Edinburgh Acceptance Rate
University College London
Home to about 18,000 international students, the University of London has a global vision and falls within the best colleges in the UK. The Duolingo scores here may vary and depend upon the course you have chosen. However, a score of 115+ is considered Stanadrad Level, any score above 125+ is Good, and 135+ is considered Advanced.
Also Read: Best Universities in London
Anglia Ruskin University
With a vibrant campus, Anglia Ruskin University is well known for its MBA programmes with specialisations in healthcare management, international business and hospitality management; it is one of the Duolingo accepted universities in UK. It started accepting scores for the said test from 2020. The minimum score needed will depend on the proficiency levels given by Duolingo.
University of Birmingham
Establish in 1990 by Queen Victoria, the University of Birmingham has been a part of some of the greatest discoveries by the researchers of this university, gaseous diffusion to name one. It has also made major contributions to the field of cancer studies. It accepts Duolingo scores but they will vary based upon the course you want to get enrolled in.
Must Read: Your Guide to MBA in Birmingham
Duolingo Accepting Universities in UK for Fall 2023 intake
The following are the universities accepting Duolingo for the fall intake 2023 in UK
- University of Birmingham
- University of Sheffield
- University of Warwick
- The University of Exeter
- Imperial College London
- University of Glasgow
- Cardiff University
Planning to pursue your academics in any of the above universities for the January intake? Check out the upcoming Mega UniConnect, World’s First & Largest Online University Fair by Leverage Edu and explore various universities to get on-spot applications!
A Duolingo score of 120 or higher is considered good. According to the Duolingo IELTS conversion, it is comparable to a traditional IELTS grade of 7 or above.
While any exam’s difficulty is subjective, the Duolingo English Test is as “challenging” as other English tests such as the TOEFL and IELTS since test results correspond to a test taker’s English competence. Having said that, many students prefer the Duolingo English Test format since it is more convenient and less stressful.
This was all about Duolingo accepted scores in UK. We hope it answered all your queries and you can now apply to study in UK without worrying about preparing for IELTS or TOEFL. If you need any admission related help or guidance, get in touch with our experts at Leverage Edu by calling at 1800572000.