Aspiring to gain international exposure into your field of interest? There are varied parameters that you must fulfill while making a plan to pursue an academic program abroad. Amongst the crucial eligibility requirements for an international academic institution, English proficiency scores are usually asked by colleges and universities abroad especially in top study destinations such as the UK, US, Canada, Australia, etc. One such English language proficiency test is the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) which evaluates your reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills. If you are preparing for this exam and need a well-devised study plan to ace it, then you have certainly come to the right place. This blog brings a detailed study plan on how to clear IELTS in 3 months with a higher band score.
This Blog Includes:
IELTS Exam Pattern Highlights
Before imparting you with a comprehensive guide on how to crack IELTS in 3 months, let’s first take a look at its paper pattern which is as follows:
|Name of the Section||Duration||Number of Questions|
|Reading||60 minutes||3 sections, 40 questions|
|Writing||60 minutes||2 questions|
|Speaking||11-14 minutes||Face-to-face Discussion|
|Listening||30 minutes||4 sections, 40 questions|
Section-Wise Study Plan to Crack IELTS in 3 Months
Now that you are aware of the pattern as well as bifurcation of marks and number of questions, we have designed a section-wise analysis on how to crack IELTS in 3 months.
As the name suggests, this section is aims to assess your reading skills by providing you with reading comprehension questions. It encompasses different type of questions for IELTS Academic and General Training. For all those wondering about how to crack IELTS in 3 months, it is important to know that the reading section contains a mixed bunch of questions like MCQs, gap fillings, short answers, inference from pictures etc. hence, you must focus on practising various kinds of comprehension passages to effectively prepare for this section.
- To ace your reading abilities, you must inculcate the habit of reading a newspaper daily through the 3-month preparation period.
- Starting from the first month, put an essential focus on the sentence structure as well as learn at least five new words every day as well as try to adopt a formal tone for your answers.
- Spend at least a week going through numerous comprehension passages in mock tests and analyse their structure thoroughly.
- Practice one set of sample test every day to understand the structure as well as gearing yourself up to efficiently answer different questions.
- In the second month of preparation, train yourself to create an efficient outline of different passages as well as learn to highlight the important keywords that might assist you in writing a high-scoring answer.
- Towards the end, when only 1-2 weeks are left, spend at least an hour every day reading online blogs and articles on contemporary topics which might occur in the exam.
Mistakes to avoid in the IELTS Reading
Must Read: IELTS Reading Tips & Preparation Strategies
Speaking section is considered the trickiest one of all. Unlike the other language proficiency exams, the speaking test of IELTS is conducted as a face-to-face session. Thus, it is important to confidently answer all the questions. Generally, the duration of this test is 10-15 minutes wherein you have to answer every question asked by the examiner. To thoroughly prepare this section, you must go through some IELTS Speaking Questions. Take a look at the study plan you can follow in order to learn how to crack IELTS in 3 months.
- From the day 1, spend 20 minutes daily to read aloud a passage from any newspaper, book or magazine etc with an imperative focus on your enunciation and pronunciation.
- As you will begin to notice the strong and weak points in your speaking ability, take out an hour every day to jot down the key aspects where you need improvement.
- Coming closer to the 4th or 5th week, start watching debates and bulletins conducted on English news channels to familiarize yourself with the contemporary IELTS Speaking Topics as well as to grasp their tone, style and enunciation in terms of speaking.
- From the ninth week onwards, practice speaking on different questions from mock tests while standing in front of a mirror. Continue this on a daily basis and ensure that make notes of your improvement.
- Throughout the 3-month period, carry out your daily conversations in English and seek feedback from others on your speaking abilities.
- On the exam day, make sure that you use a formal tone to answer questions and include relevant examples while speaking on different topics.
IELTS Speaking Tips | Score Band 8 in IELTS Speaking | Leverage Edu
Quick Read: Grammar for IELTS
The IELTS writing section comprises an essay question that requires a lengthy answer. Apart from this, there is another question based on a diagram, picture or chart on which you must pen down your answers. While understanding the process of how to crack IELTS in 3 months, the key to acing the writing section is to stay updated with the latest happenings, work consistently on your grammar and vocabulary as well as practising mock tests regularly.
- Spend the first two weeks improving your grammar by going through its basic rules and grasping the intricacies of sentence structure.
- By the 3rd week, go through a few IELTS tests and practice beginner-level questions.
- With the start of the 2nd month, you must switch to advanced IELTS Essay Topics for the remaining 4-8 weeks of preparation.
- Spend the last month by practising 1 essay and 1 description answer daily setting a timer and then evaluate your essays.
- Stay conscious of the use of a conversational tone in your essays and train yourself to adhere to a formal tone.
IELTS Writing Tips | Leverage Edu
Need help with this section? Check out: IELTS Writing Tips
This section aims to assess your listening abilities and how attentively you can focus on an audio recording. Candidates are provided with questions in an audio format and then they are required answers to the questions. It constitutes of different questions like fill in the blanks, short answers, one-line answers etc.
- Daily practice one set of the sample from IELTS practice tests or you can also look for listening samples online.
- For the first two weeks, learn to adapt the pace and formal language of the recordings by playing them twice for a sample.
- By the end of the first month, start practising with two audio recordings every day.
- For the 5th to 8th week, it is important to train yourself with playing an audio recording only once.
- In Week 9, practice with two audio recordings without any pause and carry out proper self-evaluation.
- Focus on how the narration has begun.
- Jot down important pointers while listening.
- Craft a precise and concise answer. Concentrate on the introduction of situations and characters.
- Revise your answers thoroughly to locate any grammatical or spelling marks which might make you lose marks.
IELTS Listening tips to get 8+ Band Score
Also Read Best Books for IELTS Preparation
What is a good IELTS Score?
The IELTS Score is decided as per the result you receive under each section of the exam. However, a combined grade of 7 is considered as one of the good IELTS grades out of 9. However, your target should depend on the university and country you wish to study in.
IELTS Preparation Books
While you gear up for IELTS, you ought to have the perfect notes and study materials in order to ace the exam. There are numerous high-quality books with all the relevant contents and audio files to accelerate your preparation for IELTS. Here are some of the popular books for IELTS preparation that you must have in your collection:
|Listening and Speaking Skills by Barry Cusack and Sam McCarter||Click Here to Buy|
|IELTS General Training & Academic Study Guide||Click Here to Buy|
|IELTS Preparation and Practice: Reading and Writing Academic Student Book||Click Here to Buy|
|Success to IELTS: Tips and Techniques||Click Here to Buy|
|IELTS Reading Tests by Sam McCarter||Click Here to Buy|
|Check Your English Vocabulary for IELTS by Rawdon Wyatt||Click Here to Buy|
|Improve Your IELTS Writing by Norman Whitby and Sam McCarter||Click Here to Buy|
|Cambridge Grammar for IELTS||Click Here to Buy|
|Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score||Click Here to Buy|
IELTS Preparation Material
One and only tested and proven best IELTS preparation tip is to practice. Practice will make you perfect and you will be able to ace your test. Check out IELTS preparation material that will help you ace the test:
- Listening sample 2 task Multiple Choice
- Listening sample 4 task Sentence Completion
- IELTS Listening Recording 9
- Listening sample 6 task Matching
- Academic Reading sample task – Matching features
- Academic Reading sample task – Multiple choice (more than one answer)
- Academic Writing sample task 1A
- Academic Writing sample task 2B
- Speaking sample task part 1 – Recording
- Speaking sample task part 3 – Prompt
Leverage Edu Rockstars
Here are some of our students who scored their dream IELTS score with expert guidance at Leverage Live, have a look at their journey:
Our Student, Abhay Achieved a Whopping Band 8 in IELTS
Another Amazing Achiever at Leverage Live, Niharika Scored a Striking Band 8!
Discover more stories here – IELTS Success Stories
Subscribe to Leverage IELTS for more such information
IELTS have a score band of 9.
An overall grade of 7 is considered as one of the good IELTS grades out of 9. However, your target should depend on the university and country you wish to study in.
The reading section in IELTS is 60-minutes.
Hopefully, this blog helped you draft an effective study plan on how to crack IELTS in 3 months. Are you still confused about how to get a higher band in your IELTS exam? Sign up for an online demo session with our Leverage Edu and we will help you sort out your preparation schedule as well as requisite study material along with equipping you with necessary exam tips to ace IELTS with flying colours.