Pursuing bachelor level courses not only offers a platform for students to build a strong foundation in the field of their choice but also helps in identifying their interests within the domain. However, to advance in the chosen field, enrolling in a postgraduate degree program has now become a necessity. Be it in the IT companies or organisations in the Sustainable Energy, Policy Making, Engineering, etc sectors, the need for efficient and professional candidates who can contribute to the firm has increased. While there are several professional degrees available such as Master of Science, MBA, MiM, MS and so on, one of them is the MIS Course which offers a wide range of opportunities in the corporate world. So, if you also want to know whether MIS a good career option or not then, here is a blog that will shed light on various aspects of this program!
This Blog Includes:
What is an MIS Course All About?
Masters in Information Systems or MIS course is concerned with the study of establishing a relationship between people, technology and the organisation and handling most of the business-related operations like strategic decision making in a more efficient way. The main aim of MIS is to work towards making the customer’s experience more delightful by making innovative, technological changes in the working and operation of the company.
|Course Name||Masters in Information Systems|
|Entrance Exam||GMAT, CAT|
|MIS Duration||1 – 2 years|
|Eligbilty||Bachelor degree from recognized institution in first divison|
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Popular Countries||USA, UK, Canada|
|Popular Job Profiles||Database Administrator, Business Application Developer, Systems Analyst|
MIS course is much more than just programming and writing codes. Available in the form of a Master of Science and MBA, it comprises both, core subjects along with electives. Some courses might include an individual project or dissertation while some can involve an internship. Here are some of the subjects covered under the MIS course:
- Business Communication
- Advanced System Analysis and Design
- Enterprise Application Development
- Advanced Database Management
- Economic Analysis
- IT Project Management
- Principles of Finance
- Business Information Security
- IT Architecture and Cloud Computing
List of MIS Courses
Now that you are familiar with the basic prerequisites and the subjects taught in Information System programs, let us now have a look at the MIS courses and the universities which offer it.
|University of British Columbia||MSc in Business Administration in Management Information Systems|
|Technical University of Munich||MSc in Information Systems|
|London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)||MSc in Management of Information Systems and Digital Innovation|
|Purdue University||MSc in Business Analytics and Information Management|
|University of Dallas||MBA Information and Technology Management|
|CUHK Business School||MSc ITM|
|University of Colorado, Denver||MSc in Information Systems|
|University of Mannheim||Masters in Business Informatics|
|The University of Sydney||Master of Information Technology Management|
|National University of Singapore||Master of Computing (Information Systems)|
Apart from the above-mentioned academic institutions, here are some other universities you can consider to pursue an MIS course:
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Georgia State University
- Australian National University
- ESSEC Business School
- University of Alberta
MIS Course in Canada
Canada is ranked among the top 10 countries to pursue the MIS course. Canada is popular among the students in India and around the globe for its excellent education system and is the best student-friendly and also the safest country.It’s the dream of millions of students to study in Canada. Here are some of the universities in Canada to pursue MIS:
- University of British Columbia
- Queen’s University
- Concordia University
- York University
- Athabasca University
Also Read : MIS in Canada
MIS Course in USA
From IVY league colleges to other top-ranked universities, the USA is a top priority of every student planning to study abroad. The flexibility offered in courses to combine and mix up various modules attracts students from all over the world. If you are planning to study in the USA for an MIS course, here are is the list of top universities:
- University of California Berkeley
- Carnegie Mellon University
- University of Washington
- University of Maryland
- University of Buffalo
Also Read : MIS in USA
MIS Course in UK
The UK may be considered a hub for MBA courses but the institutions in UK have various more courses to offer such as MIS in the UK is one of the most sought-after courses. UK degrees are recognized worldwide and a multicultural environment helps students gain various skills. Here are the universities offering MIS in the UK:
- The University of Manchester
- University of Nottingham
- Warwick Business School
- The London School of Economics and Political Science
- Cranfield University
- University of Glasgow
- University of Southampton
- Newcastle University
- Aston University
- Queen Mary, University of London
Also Read : Study in UK Without IELTS
MIS Course in Germany
From being one of the affordable countries to universities offering free education to its international students. Students from every corner of the world are applying to Germany. There is no language barrier because most of the courses are in the English language as well. If you are planning to study in Germany and opting for MIS, here is the list of some universities:
- Ludwig Maximilian University
- Heidelberg University
- Humboldt University of Berlin
- Free University of Berlin
- University of Göttingen
- University of Hamburg
- University of Stuttgart
Also Read : Admission Requirements to Study in Germany
MIS Course in Australia
Australia has emerged as a popular study destination for the past few years. The cost of living in Australia is quite affordable compared to other countries. The courses in Australia have a more practical approach that builds strategic and critical thinking skills in students. Here are some universities that offer MIS:
- The University of Melbourne
- The University of Sydney
- Monash University
- Macquarie University
- Australian National University
Also Read : Study in Australia for International Students
MIS Course in India
There are institution in India offering MIS and related courses at postgraduate and post graduate diploma level as well. Here is the list of all institutions offering MIS in India:
- Indian Institute of Management Calcutta
- Indian Institute of Management Bangalore
- Indian School of Business (ISB)
- Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
- Amity International Business School
- Indian Institute of Management Lucknow
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi
- University of Delhi
- Symbiosis Center for Management and HRD – Pune
MIS Course Eligibility
The candidates who want to apply for MIS courses need to have an undergraduate degree either in the same domain or related field. However, some colleges might require it to be in the same field.
- Some academic institutions might also stress on having a threshold of GPA as a criteria for admission.
- Business knowledge or proficiency in programming might also be needed. However, this requirement may vary from one university to another. Thus, it is better for the candidate to research well before applying to any college.
- While having at least 1-2 years of work experience is a mandatory requirement in a wide range of universities, in others, it might not be required at all.
Note: The students who would be selected as per the scores and criteria mentioned above, would be called by the institutes for a personal interview.
MIS Application Process in India & Abroad
- Visit the official website of the university you are applying to for the MIS course.
- Register and create your admission account using your email id, mobile number, and password.
- Fill up your personal details (Name, Age, Gender, Date of Birth)
- Fill up your academic details and pay the required application fee.
- Appear for the entrance exam (CAT, SNAP, GMAT). Students interested in pursuing MIS abroad should have valid GMAT/GRE scores and English proficiency test scores such as ILETS, TOEFL, PTE.
- In the case of MIS in India, after the result of the entrance exam, students are allotted admission seats based on their academic performance, entrance exam result, and in some cases after a personal interview round.
- Students that have applied for MIS abroad will have to appear for a virtual personal interview round due to covid- 19 after fulfilling all the eligibility requirements and will receive an offer letter from the university if the applicant is selected.
Here is the list of documents required during the application process of MIS in India and Abroad
MIS in India
- Academic Transcripts
- Caste Certificate
- Application Form
- Date of Birth Certificate
- Migration/Transfer Certificate
- Scores of the entrance exam
- Official academic transcripts
- Scanned copy of passport
- CV/ Resume
- Letter of Recommendation
- English language proficiency test scores
- Statement of Purpose
- Two Reference Letters
- Postgraduate applicants have to submit a translation of the degree certificate in case the degree certificate is in another language other than English.
MIS graduates are in demand not just in India but at international level as well. MIS is not just about coding and involves managerial roles as well. According to Forbes, MIS ranks 6th on their list for best Master’s Degrees for jobs, with an early career salary of $64,400. If you are wondering what are the career opportunities or job profiles that you can get after completing MIS, here is the list of popular job profiles with their salary structure:
|Job Profiles||Salary per annum (in INR)|
|Information technology consultant||₹925927|
It depends on the university you have selected to pursue MIS course. However, MIS is not just restricted to coding and involves Finance, Business, Economics and Data Base Management as well.
Some of the popular job profiles are Web Developer, Information Security Manager, Business Application Developer etc.
Popular countries for pursuing MIS is the USA, Canada, UK.
Yes, with the technology and business changing everyday. It is a unique blend of technology and managerial skills that helps individuals grow at every level.
Yes, there are options to study abroad without IELTS. However, check the university website because it is different for every university.
If you want to know anything more about the MIS course or colleges that offer this program then reach out to our experts at Leverage Edu through an E-meeting. Be it fro filling application or finding a scholarship, the professionals will provide assistance throughout the admission process.