Nanotechnology has an increasing impact on many aspects of our daily lives due to which career opportunities in this field are expanding incredibly. Working in nanotechnology means you’re working with engineering, chemistry, physics, and biology. Application of nanoscience and nanotechnology are delivering in both expected and unexpected ways to benefit society. With the advancement in nanotechnology, various sectors like homeland security, medicine, transportation, information technology, food safety, environmental science, and energy are considerably improving. International students are opting for nanotechnology courses to acquire scientific knowledge of nanoscience equipping them with the skills to create new products. Considered to be a multidisciplinary scientific education, it becomes crucial to provide top-quality professionals and experts with a generic background in the field of science and technology. This blog brings you a complete list of Nanotechnology courses, universities as well as the career scope it entails!
This Blog Includes:
What is Nanotechnology?
Nanotechnology, also known as nanoscience, is the study and application of extremely small substances or nanostructures used in the field of science. The term ‘nanotechnology’ was coined by Norio Taniguchi, a professor at Tokyo University of Science in 1974. It’s interesting to imagine the size of nanotechnology which is around 10 -9 of a meter (which is extremely small).
|A nanometer is one thousand millionth of a meter|
|1nm = 10 -9 of a meter|
Everything around us is matter like food, clothes, houses, etc and atom is known to be the smallest particle in matter. However, the size of the atom is so small that it cannot be seen with naked eyes, so scientists came up with the Atomic Force Microscope (AFM) and Scanning Tunnelling Microscope (STM) to see atomic particles. This is when the age of nanotechnology began.
Over 100 years ago, artists back then actually used alternate-size silver and gold particles as nanoscale materials which would develop colours in the stained glass windows of churches. They were unaware of the fact that the substances used were actually changing the composition of the material. Now, engineers and scientists are extracting ways to create nanoscale materials because of their lighter weight, higher strength, greater chemical reactivity and increased control of the light spectrum.
Reasons to Study Nanotechnology Courses
Check out the top reasons why you should pursue Nanotechnology courses:
- Nanotechnology is one of the fastest-growing fields of science and technology catering to growing career opportunities all across the world.
- It is a multi-disciplinary area to master your skills in physics, chemistry, biology, and mathematics in order to create a stimulating experience.
- Nanotechnology is used everywhere and possesses a revolutionary impact on the technology of science.
- Major universities and colleges which are globally recognised are offering opportunities for international students to study nanotechnology courses.
- Nanoscience and technology are predicted to develop potentially enormous economic impact.
- Nanotechnology has a societal impact on computer and microelectronics revolution.
- Nanomedicines are used by developing countries to help prevent several health issues and find possible treatment for diseases.
- Moreover, it is also being used in a variety of purification and industrial processes.
- With the application of nanoscience in traditional energy sources, scientists are using nanotechnology to create affordable, clean and renewable energy sources to reduce toxicity burdens on the environment.
There are various courses in Nanotechnology offering individuals to develop skills and knowledge to contribute to the field of science and technology related to nanoparticles. Below is a list of bachelor courses to pursue a career in nanotechnology:
|Education Level||Nanotechnology Courses|
|Bachelor’s Level||B.Sc in Nanoscience|
B.Sc in Chemistry with Nanotechnology
B.Sc (Hons) in Nanotechnology
Bachelors in Chemistry with Green Nanotechnology
B.S. in Nanosystem Engineering
|Master’s Level||M.Sc in Nanotechnology|
M.Sc in Nanoscience and Technology
M.Tech in Nanotechnology
M.Tech in Nanotechnology and Nanomaterials
M.Tech in Material Science and Nanotechnology
|Doctoral Level||Ph.D. in Nanotechnology|
Ph.D. in Nanoscience and Technology
Nanotechnology Courses: Top Universities and Colleges
Some of the top global universities and colleges offering a comprehensive study in the field of nanotechnology or nanoscience are listed below:
- Nanyang Technological University
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- University of California, Berkeley
- Stanford University
- Seoul National University
- National University of Singapore
- Tsinghua University
- Peking University
- University of Science and Technology of China
- Harvard University
- Soochow University (China)
- Fudan University
- Jagiellonian University
- Dublin Institute of Technology
- Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology
- University of Chicago
- University of Cambridge
- University of California, Los Angeles
- Huazhong University of Science and Technology
- La Trobe University
Nanotechnology Courses: Job Opportunities
Students with a specialisation in nanotechnology study nanomaterials, microbiology, and proper safety techniques. Nanotechnology is used in the varied field such as engineering, medical, food industries, etc. Other areas where nanotechnology is used are:
- Electronics or Semiconductor Industry
- Aerospace Industries
- Sporting Goods
- Material Science including polymers, packaging, textiles etc
- Food Quality Control and Packaging
- National and Military Security
- Federal Lab Research
- Energy Capture and Storage
Nanotechnology is a highly technical field with an immense demand for scientists, engineers, and technicians. Below is a list of job avenues that you can explore in this field:
- Applications Engineer
- Director of Research
- Director of Product Marketing
- Manufacturing Engine
- Research Scientist
- Research & Development Engineers
- Product Marketing Engineer
- Mechanical Engineer
- Optical Engineer
- Optical Assembly Technician
- Optics and Holography Technician
- Sales Manager
- Market Development Manager
- Product Marketing Manager
- Technical Program Manager
Are you someone willing to explore the science of miniatures and creating working systems at the molecular level? Then, studying nanotechnology courses will bring immense career opportunities for you. If you are still unsure about nanotechnology as the right career path for you, our experts at Leverage Edu can assist you in delving deeper into your interests and passions and find suitable educational prospects in nanoscience.