The dairy industry plays a pivotal role in the development of the economy of not just India, but many other countries across the world. Milking cows, packing milk in plastic packages, traveling daily to distribute the packed products is a stereotype that has engulfed the industry. But, with the advent of technology, there are scores of other activities undertaken in this sector. Due to their short shelf life, dairy products go through a wide range of processes before arriving at your doorstep. So, if you want to kickstart a career in Life Sciences, then Dairy Technology is a path you can explore! Without further ado, let us now go through the details you need to know about this field and how you can build a successful career in it.
This Blog Includes:
One of the most important components of Food Engineering, dairy technology deals with the handling and processing of milk and its products, right from the production phase to consumption. This field uses the principles of Physics, Chemistry, Engineering, and Economics to help increase the shelf-life of the products without compromising on quality and quantity. Food Chemistry, Environmental Sciences, Animal Husbandry, Quality Assurance, Dairy Processing, Storage and Packaging, etc are some of the areas where students are trained.
Various Courses in Dairy Technology
The aspirants who look forward to pursuing a career in Dairy Technology need to enroll in a course that can equip them with the right knowledge and skills. Encompassing the elements of engineering and technology, the graduates are awarded a degree such as BTech/Bachelor of Engineering/Bachelor of Science [BSc], etc, for undergraduate programs and MTech/MEng/Master of Science [MSc] for post-graduate courses. Let us have a look at the programs offered at both the levels:
|BSc Dairy Technology
BTech Dairy Technology
BEng Dairy Technology
|MTech Dairy Chemistry
MTech Dairy Technology
MTech Animal Biotechnology
MTech Dairy Engineering
Register here for a free study abroad consultation session now!
Popular Universities: India & Abroad
With the rise in demand for professionals adept in the concepts pertaining to dairy technology, some of the most prestigious universities across the world have started catering to the young minds by offering scores of courses in this field. Apart from providing the necessary industrial exposure, universities listed below have left no stone unturned when it comes to high-quality education and world-class facilities.
- Dalhousie University
- The Ohio State University
- Taratahi Institute of Technology
- California State University, Fresno
- Wageningen University
- VHL University of Applied Sciences
- South Dakota State University
- University of Georgia
- Michigan State University
Being the largest Milk producer in the world, India is undisputedly a place to pursue courses related to dairy technology. An array of colleges and universities offer many degrees and short term courses. Enlisted are some of these educational institutes:
- Indian Council for Agricultural Research [ICAR]
- Maharana Pratap University of Agriculture and Technology
- Guru Angad Dev Veterinary and Animal Sciences University
- Anand Agricultural University
- Indira Gandhi Krishi Vishwavidyalaya
- National Dairy Research Institute
- Sri Venkateshwara Veterinary University
- Sanjay Gandhi Institute of Dairy Science and Technology
Dairy Technology Courses Important Subjects
Let us take a look at some of the important subjects of dairy technology courses to understand the field in greater depth-
BTech in Dairy Technology:
|Dairy Extension Education||Dairy Plant Design and Layout||Food Chemistry|
|Dairy Engineering||Dairy Process Engineering||Economic Analysis|
|Fat Rich Dairy Products||Fundamentals of Microbiology||Food Technology|
|Food Engineering||Chemical Quality Assurance||Principles of Dairy Machine Design|
MTech in Dairy Technology:
|Steam & Refrigeration Engineering||Dairy Plant Management||Dairy Plant Management|
|Experimental Design||Dairy Plant Instrumentation & Process Control||Instrumentation and analytical techniques|
|Computer Programming||Advances in Dairy Chemistry||Advances in Dairy Processing|
Dairy Technology: Eligibility Criteria
Every university that offers courses in dairy technology mandates certain eligibility parameters that the prospective students need to fulfil. Though the eligibility criteria vary from one university to the other, given below are some of the general conditions the students must adhere to:
- For admission to undergraduate courses in Dairy Technology, the candidates must have passed their 10+2 level of studies in the Science stream with either BiPC subjects or MPC subjects from a recognized educational board, with a minimum score as mentioned by the prospective university.
- For admission to post-graduate courses, the students must hold a bachelor’s degree in a field relevant with a minimum required percentage as mentioned by the university.
- Apart from the educational qualifications, the candidate must have cleared language proficiency tests like IELTS, TOEFL or PTE and should have a valid GRE scorecard [to study master-level courses abroad]
- A letter of Recommendation[LOR], Statement of Purpose[SOP], Transcripts, Updated CV/Resume will also form an essential part of the application process.
Note: The prerequisites for Indian universities will vary. It is advised to go through their websites for an overview.
Today, dairy technology has turned out to be one of the most offbeat yet challenging careers which generally employs highly-qualified trained personnel. On pursuing a course in this field, the graduates can find themselves working in both private and government sectors in various job profiles. Some of the most common work profiles have been listed below:
- University Professor
- Dairy Scientist
- Research Assistant
- Dairy Consultant
- Dairy Supervisor
- Dairy Technologist
- Quality Analyst
- Product Development Manager
- Dairy Medical Officer
Here are some of the popular recruiters to target for those who have a degree in dairy technology-
- Reliance Industries
- Indian Tobacco Company
- Heritage Foods
- Vadilal Group
- Mother Dairy
- Vasudhara Dairy
- Britannia Industries
- COMFED (Sudha)
- HJ Heinz Company
Just like certain nutrients help in the overall development of a human body, a good university and course help in building a successful career in the chosen field. If you are looking forward to pursuing a career in dairy technology or any other related fields but are confused about which program to enrol in then take the assistance of Leverage Edu. Our expert mentors will guide you in choosing a course that best suits your interests and skillsets through a psychometric test!