Owing to the popularity of MBA programs, there is a wide range of specializations that have sprouted for those wanting to pursue this degree. Ranging from Healthcare Management to Airport Management, you can pursue a Master of Business Administration degree in a wide range of areas of study. The arena of Management itself has branched out into many sub-disciplines such as Power Management, Media Management, Material Management, and Aviation Management, amongst others that are available in different types of MBA courses across the globe. Concerned with the domain of logistics and supply chain management, the Operations Management MBA is another specialized course offered under this degree and aims to impart students with the knowledge of efficiently managing business practices in an organization. This blog will provide you with a complete guide on what the Operations Management MBA degree entails, the eligibility requirements you need to fulfill as well as the top universities you can pursue it from.
|Course Name||MBA in Operations Management|
|Course Duration||2 Years|
|Eligibility||50% in graduation from any stream|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam, Direct Admission|
|Entrance Exams||CAT, MAT, SNAP, XAT, GMAT, etc|
|Course Fees||INR 4,00,000 – INR 9,00,000|
|Top Colleges||IIT Madras, IIT Roorkee, IIT Kharagpur, etc|
|Salary||5 LPA to 30 LPA|
This Blog Includes:
- What is an MBA in Operations Management?
- Why Study MBA in Operations Management?
- Types of MBA in Operations Management
- MBA Operations Management Online
- MBA in Operations Management Syllabus
- MBA in Operations Management Subjects
- Eligibility Criteria
- Entrance Exams
- Documents Required
- Admission Process 2023
- Top Business Schools for MBA in Operations Management
- MBA in Operations Management Colleges in India
- MBA in Operations Management Scope
- Job Opportunities and Salary
- Top Companies that Hire Graduates of MBA in Operations Management
What is an MBA in Operations Management?
Operations management is an amalgamation of the two fields of logistics and supply chain management. It is concerned with the management of the inventory of an organization through the supply chain. In a commercial firm, operations managers organize, plan, and supervise the production and manufacturing processes. Further, they also ensure that the firms turn the investment into great revenue. After completing your Operations Management MBA, you can explore career profiles where you would be overseeing the production and outputs, obtaining goods and services from outer sources, and ensuring the sustainability of the organization while keeping in mind the judicious use of resources. Moreover, as an Operation Manager, you would also have to critically handle the extreme situations arriving with the clients related to the shortage of resources and skyrocketed expectations.
Why Study MBA in Operations Management?
- Pursuing Operations Management MBA, you will get to know about the different processes that are vital to the functioning of a company and how they can be effectively and efficiently carried out together in a seamless manner.
- For an industrial firm, there is a demand for coordination for ensuring a smooth flow of different processes and this is why logistics is a crucial area of study that focuses on maintaining and regulating the different activities under the supply chain.
- Further, you will also get the opportunity to study the global perspective regarding industry trends and awareness of financial regulations.
- Students will get to learn the strategies to solve the intricate complexities with respect to risk management as well as various other concepts such as manufacturing strategies, product design, logistics, operation strategies, plan design, and layout combined with data analytics.
Types of MBA in Operations Management
There are different types of MBA in Operations Management, along with their eligibility criteria and admission criteria
|Types of MBA||Eligibility||Admission Criteria|
|Executive MBA||Bachelor’s degree and work experience||Merit/Entrance Based|
|Distance MBA||Bachelor’s degree with 50% and
work experience of 2 – 3 years
|Online MBA||Bachelor’s degree||Merit-Based|
|Part-time MBA||Bachelor’s degree with 50%||Merit/Entrance-Based|
MBA Operations Management Online
Many people nowadays are interested in pursuing an online MBA. It’s tailored to workmen who don’t have time to go to college but want to continue their education from the comfort of their own homes. An online MBA in operations management is well-known throughout the country and adds great value to a resume.
- IGNOU is a prestigious university where you may get an MBA in Operations Management. The institute is well-known for its distance learning and online programs.
- Candidates who get an online MBA in operations management are prepared to work as executives in government agencies, businesses, and other organizations.
- To pursue an MBA degree online, candidates must have a bachelor’s degree with a minimum aggregate score of 50%, with a 5% relaxation for reserved categories.
MBA in Operations Management Syllabus
The syllabus for MBA in Operations Management will vary but here is a general syllabus for MBA in Operations Management in India:
Corporate Legal Environment
Production Planning and Control
|Semester-3||Logistics & Supply Chain Management
Human Resources Management
Research Methodology and Statistics
MBA in Operations Management Subjects
The operations management MBA course ranges from 1-2 years and there is no such specific duration of the course as it varies from one university to another. Here is a list of the core subjects that are generally a part of this degree program:
- Business Statistics
- Operations Research
- Project Management
- Material Management
- Supply Chain Management
- Financial Accounting and Management
- International Logistics
- Enterprise Resource Planning
- Marketing Management
- Human Resource Management
- Information Technology and System Management
- Technology and Innovation Management
For those wanting to pursue MBA in Operations Management, the essential prerequisite is to have the following:
- Minimum schooling of 10+2 along with an undergraduate graduate degree preferably in Commerce-related fields.
- Most universities also prefer candidates with a significant work experience of a minimum of 2 years or more in the relevant field of specialization.
- Also, there are various exams for MBA abroad that you should know about especially GMAT which is usually required by almost every university and business degree offering this degree. Further, English proficiency tests such as IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE might also be required.
For candidates looking forward to taking admission to an MBA in Operations Management in some best-known Indian universities, the following are the exams they are required to take prior to their admission.
State-wise Entrance Exams
National Level Entrance Exams
- Official academic transcripts
- Proof of Standardised GMAT/GRE Score
- Submission of Essays if asked by the university
- Valid passport
- Scholarship documents (if applied)
- Education loan documents (if applied)
- Proof of test scores like IELTS or TOEFL
- Letter of Support
- Personal Statement
- Letter of Recommendation
Admission Process 2023
Step 1: Select the University and the Course
The foremost thing is to select an MBA in Operations Management course and the university you wish to pursue your undergraduate, postgraduate, or Ph.D. Then, check all the necessary details including an overview of the course, cost of studying & living, work permit rules, and other important information.
Step 2: Gather All-Academic and Language Requirements
This step includes a collection of academic transcripts, proof of English proficiency test scores like TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo, SOP, LOR, student visa, copies of passport, and degree certificates. However, GMAT is not a mandatory requirement, but it is suggested that you appear for the exam.
Step 3: Start Applying
After collecting all the supporting documents, it’s time to fill up the application form. Fill in all the professional and personal information carefully. Once you have completed the application form, check all the details thoroughly and select a suitable time to submit your saved application.
Step 4: Wait for the Offer or Conditional Letter
Finally, wait for the offer letter from the selected university. The application process takes a few weeks for evaluation. After receiving the offer letter, do the initial research for accommodation, and apply for student loans and grants.
Top Business Schools for MBA in Operations Management
There are numerous business schools and institutions around the globe that offer an array of Operations Management MBA courses. Below we have mentioned the major universities you can choose from in order to pursue this degree:
- Harvard University
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Purdue University
- The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
- Stanford University
- IE Business School, IE University
- London Business School
- HEC Paris
- University of Michigan
- Northwestern University
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- Ohio State University
- Indiana University
- Cornell University
- Arizona State University
MBA in Operations Management Colleges in India
Below are well-known Indian colleges that offer MBA in Operations Management in India:
- Faculty of Management Studies, IIT Delhi
- Indian Institute of Foreign Trade
- Amity University, Noida
- Delhi School of Business
- Amity University, Mumbai
- National Institute of Management
- BITS School of Management
- SP Jain Institute of Management and Research
- Christ University
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Pune
MBA in Operations Management Scope
After finishing your master’s degree in Operations Management, you can discover varied career prospects where you would be expected to handle, oversee and advance routine business projects aiming to reduce the expenses of the company and efficiently increase the profits. Below mentioned are some of the sectors where you can find immense job opportunities with a degree like Operations Management MBA:
- Financial Institutions
- Management Consultant
- Information Technology
Job Opportunities and Salary
As a result, the number of qualified experts has increased, making MBA in Operations Management. The following are some of the most common roles for candidates with a degree in MBA in Operations Management:
|Brand Manager||47.30 lakhs|
|Business Consultant||45.05 lakhs|
|Logistic Analyst||33.03 lakhs|
|Data Analyst||35.29 lakhs|
|Data Scientist||61.57 lakhs|
|Operation Analyst||42.79 lakhs|
|Procurement Analyst||44.30 lakhs|
Top Companies that Hire Graduates of MBA in Operations Management
- Nissan Motor Company
- McKinsey & Company
- JP Morgan & Chase
- L & T
Some of the job titles for graduates who have pursued an MBA in Operations include Brand Manager, Operation Manager, Data Analyst, Operations Analyst, etc.
The other specializations offered in MBA include MBA in Finance, Marketing, HR, and Entrepreneurship among others.
The skills which are necessary for an MBA in Operations Management to have strong communication skills, good motivating skills, exceptional organizational skills, and strong negotiation skills.
Still thinking why you should opt for Master of Business Administration? Check out our blog on top reasons to consider pursuing MBA.
Thus, we hope that this blog has helped you understand the key essentials of an Operations Management MBA. If you are planning to pursue an MBA degree in the coming year, our Leverage Edu experts are here to guide you throughout the application process for the upcoming January intakes to ensure that you get successfully shortlisted into your dream university abroad and get a step closer to fulfilling your career aspirations.