North India’s Punjab region has always been a hub of educational diversity. Be it for Engineering courses or programs like MBBS, It houses the country’s premier educational universities that are known for their educational excellence. At the same time, the Government of Punjab is committed to strengthening its schools, colleges, and universities and is thus helping meritorious and deserving students by offering Punjab Scholarships. To pursue higher education form coveted academic institutes of Punjab, one has to qualify university-specific or national level entrance exams. One of these is the PUCET exam which is conducted by the revered Panjab University. This blog will take you through the important information pertaining to PUCET 2020 and its related components.
|Name||PUCET (Panjab University Common Entrance Test)|
|Conducting Body||Panjab University, Chandigarh|
|Exam Frequency||Once a year|
|Mode of Exam||Offline|
|Exam Variants||PUCET UG and PUCET PG|
|Time Duration||70 Minutes for each section in UG exam|
90 Minutes for PG Exam
|Mode of Language||English|
|Questions Type||Objective in UG Exam |
Objective and Subjective in PG Exam
|Marking Scheme||2 marks for every correct answer|
|Negative Marking||Deduction of 0.25 marks for every incorrect answer|
This Blog Includes:
- What is PUCET Exam?
- PUCET Dates 2021
- Eligibility Criteria
- PUCET Exam Pattern
- PUCET Syllabus
- How to Apply for PUCET?
- Application Fee
- Documents Required
- Admit Card
- PUCET 2019 Cut Off
- PUCET Exam Centres
- Best Books for PUCET
- Things to Keep in Mind
- How to Prepare for PUCET?
What is PUCET Exam?
PUCET is a university level entrance examination organised by Panjab University, Chandigarh. The main aim of the test is to provide admission for Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Doctorate courses to students across disciplines. Aspirants who wish to seek admission in Bachelor of Science [BSc Hons] and Bachelor of Pharmacy [B. Pharm], the PUCET UG entrance exam is conducted through a proper choice Based credit system. The university also conducts PUCET-PG for those who want to enrol in master-level courses like LLM, MA Economics, MCom, MBA, etc. The other details relevant to the exam have been explained in the following paragraphs.
PUCET Dates 2021
Since the dates of PUCET entrance examination is in proximity. Students are advised to be familiar with all the vital information pertaining to the examination. Tabulated below are the PUCET dates.
|Category||PUCET – UG||PUCET – PG|
|Registration Begins||3rd week of April 2021||3rd week of April 2021|
|Last Date to Apply||3rd week of May 2021||3rd week of May 2021|
|Admit Card Releases||4th week of May 2021||Last week of May 2021|
|PUCET 2021 Exam||27th June 2021||12th & 13th June 2021|
|Answer Key||1st week of June 2021||2nd week of June 2021|
|Result 2021||2nd week of June 2021||3rd week of June 2021|
|Counselling Begins From||June 2021||June 2021|
In order to appear for the PUCET, it is a prime responsibility for a candidate to adhere to the eligibility criteria guidelines. Not fulfilling the eligibility parameters can lead to the cancellation of the application by managing authority. The below-given information will help you understand the eligibility criteria of PUCET.
An application seeking admission in Punjab University, Chandigarh through PUCET has to be of Indian origin.
The basic qualification for applying for PUCET is 10+2 from a recognized board. While the General Category candidates must have scored 50% in 10+2, 45% marks should have been secured by SC, ST, OBC, PWD candidates. Furthermore, an applicant should have passed class 12th in Science stream with Physics, English, and Chemistry and one of the subjects like Mathematics, Biology, Biotechnology.
Candidates should be 17 years and above as on 31st December at the time of admission formalities.
To appear for the PUCET PG exam, it is important for the candidates to have a UG degree in the required field with minimum required marks. Along, with this candidates must attain the minimum required marks in the exam.
Note: The eligibility criteria for PUCET PG will vary according to the course you want to pursue. It is advised to go through the website to understand the parameters.
PUCET Exam Pattern
Making a distinctive space in any university is a daunting process altogether. To pass an examination with flying colours, one should be well versed with both, syllabus and exam pattern. The below-mentioned information will take you through vital details pertaining to the PUCET examination pattern including marks distribution.
Before you go on to understand the exam pattern of the PUCET UG exam, here are some important points-
- The UG exam will have sections like Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology, Computer Science, etc out of which candidates are expected to choose a suitable combination as per their subjects in 10+2
- The medium of the exam will be English only
|Subject||Total Questions||Total Marks||Duration|
|Paper – I Physics||60||120||70 minutes|
|Paper – II Chemistry||60||120||70 minutes|
|Paper – III Biology||60||120||70 minutes|
|Paper – IV Mathematics||60||120||70 minutes|
|Paper – V Biotechnology||60||120||70 minutes|
|Paper – VI Computer Science||60||120||70 minutes|
For the PUCET PG exam, the exam pattern as well as the sections of the exam will differ as per the subject you choose. However, below we have mentioned the exam pattern for MCA (Masters of Computer Applications) for the indicative purposes-
|Reasoning and Aptitude||10|
You should be accustomed to the essential topics that are important to cover for clearing the PUCET examination. We are listing down the important topics from BiPC subjects and Mathematics, you need to thoroughly practice.
|Physics||Physical-world and measurement, Kinematics, Law of motions, Work Energy|
and Power, Motion of Systems and Particles and rigid body gravitation,
properties of bulk matter, Thermodynamics behaviour of perfect gas and
Kinetic theory and oscillation and Waves, etc.
|Chemistry||Structure of Atom, Classifications of Element and Periodicity in Properties,|
Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure, Hydrogen, S-blocks elements,
Organic chemistry- some basic principle and techniques, Thermodynamics,
Equilibrium, Redox Reactions, Hydrocarbons, etc.
|Biology||Diversity in Living World, Structural Organization in Animals and Plants,|
Cell Structure and Functions, Plant Physiology, Human Anatomy and
|Mathematics||Sets, Relation and Functions, Principle of Mathematical Induction,|
Binomial Theorem, Sequence and Series, Conic Sections,
Introduction to Three- Dimensional Geometry, Limits and
Derivatives, Mathematical Reasoning, Statics and Probability, etc
Candidates must understand that the detailed syllabus of the PUCET exam will vary as per the course you choose, hence, you may refer to the official website to check for it. However, below we have tabulated the PUCET PG syllabus for the common sections-
|General Knowledge||Verbal Ability||Reasoning|
|Government and Politics||Foreign Words Noun & Pronoun Errors||Blood Relations|
|Business and Economy||Reading Comprehension||Artificial Language|
|Awards and Honors||Idioms & Phrases||Cubes and cuboids|
|Personalities||Etymology & Roots||Directions|
|Science & Technology||Subject-Verb Agreement||Analogies|
|Indian History and World History||Antonyms-Synonyms||Alphanumeric series|
|Arts & Music||Prepositions and Conjunctions||Input-Output|
How to Apply for PUCET?
- Visit the official website for PUCET UG and PUCET PG.
- Click on the Register option
- Enter the required information – Name, date of birth, contact information.
- Login ID and password will be generated.
- Login to fill the rest of the application form – Personal & academic details.
- Select the course & exam center of your preference
- Upload the documents – Photograph, signature & thumb impression
- Complete the application form by submitting the application fee.
To complete the application process applicants have to pay a certain amount of required fees.
|Category||Amount (In INR)|
- Online Payment: Applicants can pay through online mode via credit/debit card or internet banking
- Offline Mode: Applicants can also pay through offline mode via SBI bank challan. Print out the bank slip and pay the application fee at the nearest SBI branch
- The application fee is non-refundable.
- For additional courses, applicants have to pay Rs 575.
Candidates may need the below mentioned important documents during the application process and counselling. Stated below is the list for the same-
- Provisional seat allocation letter
- PU CET admit card 2020
- Class X marks sheet
- Class XII marks sheet
- Medical examination report
- Category certificate (if applicable)
- PwD certificate (if applicable)
Applicants are issued admit cards a few weeks before the entrance examination. Students can download the admit card online. Here is how you can download your PUCET admit card:
- Login to your account using your Login ID & password.
- Click on the admit card option.
- Check all the details on admit card are correct & download it
- If there are any issues in the details of your admit card, raise a ticket at the concerned authority and resolve it.
- No applicant is allowed to enter the examination hall with the admit card.
- Take two printouts of the admit card.
PUCET 2019 Cut Off
To help candidates have a better idea about how will be the cut off for the year 2021, we have stated below the cut off for some of the courses of UG and PG level-
B.Sc Mathematics 2019
|Category||Total Merit Marks||CET Percentile Marks|
|General (Unreserved category)||24.91||11.56|
B.Sc (Biotechnology/ BioPhysics/ Botany/ Zoology/ Biochemistry/ Chemistry/ Microbiology/ Anthropology/ Geology/ Physics/), B.Pharmacy 2019
|Category||Total merit Marks||CET Percentile Marks|
|General (Unreserved category)||28.56||14.46|
Here is the 2018 cut off for the PUCET PG exam-
|Unreserved||20% of total marks|
(M.A. English and History – 35% of total marks
Masters in Disaster Management – 37.5%)
|OBC/SC/ST/PWD||15% of total marks|
(M.A. English and History – 30% of total marks)
PUCET Exam Centres
PUCET 2021 will be conducted across 4 test centres in Punjab:
- Muktsar Rural
Best Books for PUCET
There are a variety of books available for reference. They are easily available in local markets or you can order them online. Applicants can also refer to the previous year’s question papers.
- Panjab CET 12 years solved papers
- Arihant Organic Chemistry
- Quantitative Aptitude by Arun Sharma.
- Physics by H. C Verma. (Vol 1&2)
- Physics by OP Agarwal (Vol 1 & 2)
- A Guide to Critical Legal Studies by Mark Kamen.
- Last 10 years PUCET solved question bank.
- Mathematics by SL Loni (Plane Geometry)
- Arihant ISC Chapter-wise Solved Papers Chemistry class 12th
Things to Keep in Mind
- Carry admit card & valid identification card to the examination center
- Do rough work on the allotted area
- Applicants should try to attempt the question he/she is confident about, Marks are deducted for every wrong answer.
- Complete your application form, any information left incomplete, the university won’t accept the application form of that applicant.
- Applicants of the reserved category must upload their caste certificate to avail concession on the application fee.
How to Prepare for PUCET?
- Students should attempt mock tests & sample papers. This helps to evaluate their performance, identify strong and weak areas and improve those areas.
- Consistency is the key, try to be consistent with your PUCET exam preparation, plan your day in a way that at least you spare one-two hours dedicated to the PUCET examination.
- Don’t just mug up new topics, it is essential to revise the previous topics in order to avoid confusion in topics & also improves your memory of those topics.
- Make notes of important formulas. Making notes will help in the quick revision of all important topics.
- A day before your exam don’t over exhaust yourself, it is important to keep your mind calm. On the day before your exam relax and revise in a way that you are done before night and able to sleep properly.
No, PUCET is an offline-based examination.
25 marks are deducted for every wrong answer.
Applicants can only pay application fees offline at SBI branches.
The application fee is non-refundable.
There is no requirement for sending the application offline.
An applicant must not be below the age of 17.
Apart from the regional educational institutions, scores of national-level academic institutions also conduct their own entrance exams. And be it PUCET or other such tests, to score well, you should devise a study plan that lays emphasis on both, your strengths and weaknesses. Choosing a career line after 12th can certainly be confusing. Take the psychometric test specially designed by experts at Leverage Edu which will help you understand what path you should pursue based on your likings, skills, and knowledge!