Aeronautical engineers meticulously design and construct aeroplanes and helicopters that are used for commercial aviation as well as for defence and disaster management purposes. Students looking to explore the lucrative field of Aeronautical Engineering can discover their interests through varied diploma courses and certificate programs available in this specialisation. If you are planning to pursue a Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering, read through this blog to know about the top colleges to explore, eligibility criteria as well as career scope it entails.
|Course||Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering|
|Basic Eligibility||Qualification of class 12th or 10th (in some courses) examinations with Science stream subjects|
|Entrance Exam||Aircraft Maintenance Engineering Common Entrance Test (AME CET)|
|Job Profiles||Airframe Design Engineer, Integration Engineer, etc.|
|Employment Sectors||Aviation Organizations, Flying Clubs, Government and Private Airlines, etc.|
|Average Fees||INR 2 Lakhs to 4 Lakhs|
|Average Salary||INR 4-6 Lakhs per annum|
This Blog Includes:
- Course Overview
- Eligibility Criteria
- Diploma Aerospace Engineering Course Duration
- Diploma in Aerospace Engineering Syllabus
- Top Univeresities Abroad for Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering
- Top Colleges in India
- Future Scope
- Average Salary
Commonly offered as a 2-3 year program, a Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering aims to impart students with the foundational knowledge of aeronautics, design and development of aircraft as well as its service and testing. You will also be familiarized with how different types of aircraft work and operate and are meticulously devised and created. This diploma course is perfect for high school graduates aiming to explore their interests in aeronautics as it will help you gain a basic knowledge of what this specialisation is about and you will be assessed if it aligns with your aspirations and interests.
In order to apply for a Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering, it is essential to know the admission prerequisites you will be asked to fulfil. To help you get an overview of these criteria, we have enlisted the common eligibility requirements for a Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering:
- Students must have completed 10th or 10+2 in Science stream from a recognized board and with minimum 45% marks or as per specified by their chosen institution.
- Applicants are also required to qualify the AME CET exam to get admission in one of the top colleges in India.
- If you are planning to study a Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering in India, many universities might conduct their own entrance exams for admission.
- For those aspiring to study this course abroad, you will be required to provide language proficiency scores of IELTS/TOEFL, etc. along with a Statement of Purpose (SOP) and optional Letters of Recommendation (LORs).
Note: The aforementioned requirements are only indicative and general eligibility criteria. Actual course requirements might vary as per the program and university.
Diploma Aerospace Engineering Course Duration
The Diploma in Aerospace Engineering programme is a 2 to 3-year diploma programme with 4 to 6 semesters in which students gain theoretical and practical knowledge about aircraft and spacecraft.
Diploma in Aerospace Engineering Syllabus
Mainly concerned with the design and development of aircraft and their associated structures, Aerospace Engineering encompasses a wide range of disciplines that aim to study the mechanics of how aircraft function and can be designed. Though the actual course offerings might vary as per your chosen course and university, here are some major subjects covered which are commonly studied in a Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering:
- Aircraft Instrumentation System
- CAR (Civil Aviation Regulation)
- Aircraft maintenance and practice
- Aircraft system
- Aircraft structure
- Avionics and Aircraft Radio System
- Aircraft Structures Servicing Lab
- Maintenance Management
- C- Programming lab
- Avionics Lab
- Aircraft system servicing lab
- Project work (working model)
- Aircraft Electrical System
- Aircraft Instrument System Lab
- Aircraft Materials
- Applied Mathematics
- Applied Science
- Basic Aerodynamics
- Computer-aided Engineering Graphics
- Engineering Graphics (conventional)
- English Communication
- Fluid Mech and Pneumatics Lab
- Basic Computer Skills Lab
- Basic Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Basic Electrical and electronic engineering Labs
- Industrial Visit
- ISAP Lab
- Jet Engine Lab
- Jet Engine Theory
- Materials Testing (NDT) Process Lab
- Organizational Management
- Piston Engine Lab
- Piston Engine Theory
- Fluid Mech and Pneumatics Aircraft Inspection and Documentation
Top Univeresities Abroad for Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering
Below we have enlisted some of the major aviation engineering colleges and universities in the world which you must explore to study this diploma program abroad:
- Fanshawe College, Canada
- Confederation College, Canada
- University of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- The Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands
- New Zealand International Commercial Pilot Academy
- Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology, New Zealand
- Teesside University, England
- Air New Zealand Aviation Institute, New Zealand
- University Centre Farnborough
- Ardmore Flying School, New Zealand
- International Aviation Academy of New Zealand
The following sections elaborate on some of the popular diploma in Aeronautical Engineering courses offered by these universities:
University of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
The Diploma of Engineering Technology in Aeroplane Maintenance offered at the University of Kuala Lumpur is a three year accredited diploma programme. It focuses on teaching students about complex aircraft structures and systems. It also includes industrial training which gives students much-needed industry exposure. A large chunk of students readily works in companies involved in repair and maintenance, aircraft vendors and avionics repair.
Fanshawe College, Canada
Aviation Technology- Aircraft Maintenance and Avionics is only one of the many disciplines within aeronautical engineering in which Fanshawe College offers its diploma programmes. This particular programme involves aircraft maintenance of general aviation aircraft as well as charter planes and helicopters. The programme also provides 24 months of accreditation into the license of Aircraft Maintenance Engineer. It includes maintenance training in avionics and electronic systems.
Confederation College, Canada
For those looking for options in Canada, the Diploma Aerospace Manufacturing Engineering Technology is also a great option. It is a three-year diploma developed after industry consultation. It emphasizes fields like designing, materials, composites, and manufacturing. The department has state-of-the-art laboratories where students get hands-on with aircraft components.
Top Colleges in India
There are numerous aviation institutes, colleges and universities around the world which offer diploma courses in Aeronautical Engineering. Here are the major colleges and universities for Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering in India:
- Bhubaneswar Engineering College, Bhubaneswar
- Indian Institute of Aerospace Technology and Management, Secunderabad
- Singhania University
- Shri Venkateshwara University
- Swami Vivekananda University, Sagar
- Parul University, Vadodara
- Bhuvan Polytechnic
- Apex University
- Hindustan Electronics Academy, Bangalore
With a diploma in Aeronautical Engineering, you can either explore job opportunities in the Aviation industry or further pursue higher studies with courses like BSc Aeronautics, BSc Aviation, etc. There is immense scope in Aeronautical Engineering for proficient engineers and getting a higher qualification can also help you build a flourishing career in research. Here are the major job prospects for those with a degree or diploma in Aeronautical Engineering:
- Design Engineer
- Logistics Engineer
- Manufacturing Engineer
- Thermal Design Engineer
- Quality Manager
- Aerospace Designer
- Airframe Design Engineer
- Aircraft Production Manager
- Reliability Engineer
Following the completion of the diploma in Aeronautical Engineering, there are several opportunities for placement in the industry, some of which are given below:
- Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO)
- Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO)
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL)
- National Aerospace Laboratories (NAL)
- Aircraft/ spacecraft Manufacturing Companies
- Aircraft/ spacecraft Part Manufacturing Companies
- Civil Aviation Department
- Maintenance Repair and Overhaul (MRO) organizations.
Being fresher, your starting salary would depend on variable factors like skills, knowledge of the domain, marks secured, performance in the interview, etc. On average, the salary of freshers would be around INR 25,000- 45,000 a month or a standing package of INR 4 Lakhs to 5 Lakhs per annum. Because the aviation business in India is expanding, the salary will rise as you gain expertise. It is an excellent time to start a career in the aviation industry.
There are a variety of universities around the world that offer a diploma in aeronautical engineering or related disciplines. A lot goes on when shortlisting universities from faculty and course structure to evaluating career prospects, so it is not a straightforward task. Let the experts at Leverage Edu guide you so that you enter the perfect university and build an awesome career.