Did you ever spend your childhood evenings looking up at the planes passing by, wondering where they would go? Are you someone who was fascinated by the design of aircraft? If you are a student of physics and are interested in the study of aircraft, its functioning, structure and other scientific technicalities then you should consider a course like BSc Aeronautics which deals with the manufacturing, flying and the other details related to them. A course like BSc Aeronautics will open up the right career paths for you, so here is all the information that you will need.
This Blog Includes:
Aeronautical Engineering is a branch of science that involves the study, design, manufacturing and operating machines that are capable of air flight. A course like BSc Aeronautics is an undergraduate program that deals with the in-depth study of the mechanics, operations and designing of an aircraft. If you’re interested in flying, studying the theoretical and practical details behind the functioning of an aircraft then you should probably opt for a course like BSc Aeronautics. You should be good in areas like mathematics and physics, calculus plays an important role in studying this course. You should be aware of the key subjects of physics like projectile motion, aerodynamics and thermodynamics in order to ease your way into the course. Aeronautics is different from aviation, aeronautics include lighter than aircraft and ballistics vehicles as well whereas aviation does not deal with these areas of study. This course does not limit itself to operating an aircraft, it also includes the theoretical aspect, management, and techniques involved in developing an aircraft.
|Course Name||Bachelor of Science [B.Sc] (Aeronautical Science)|
|Admission Process||Entrance Based|
|Entrance Exam||GATE, AME CET|
|Eligibility||More than 65% in 10+2|
|Popular Job Profiles||Flight Instructor, Airline Pilot|
Here are a few key components of this course that you will be studying in detail throughout the course:
- Aircraft Systems: This field of study looks at the various complex systems involved in the functioning of an aircraft, it involves a detailed study of aircraft gears, safety systems and other important factors that decide the airworthiness of an aircraft.
- Aircraft maintenance and inspection: This course involves the basic inspection of an aircraft and its maintenance within a given framework of time. This area also includes keeping a record of various inspections for future use. The regulation for this are specified by an authority.
- Theory of flight: This is a theoretical subject which deals with the theoretical aspects of an aircraft and its dynamics with the air. This is an important paper because it deals with theoretical aspects and gives you a basic understanding of how basic principles of physics are important in the practical aspects of this course.
- Aerodynamics: Aerodynamics involves the study of interactions between gases and moving bodies. This is an important paper as it deals with how an aircraft must be designed in order to have a smooth flight and landing, and how the structure will help its motion in creating a well-structured aircraft that interacts with the various atmospheric forces like air pressure, smoothly.
- Thermodynamics: This branch of science deals with the study of energy and workings of a system. This field of study helps us in understanding the basics behind various gears of an aircraft like the turbine engine, propellers, etc.
Here are a few other subjects that you will be studying while pursuing your BSc Aeronautics:
- Aircraft Management
- Aircraft fuel and Lubrication System
- Aircraft Hydraulics and Pneumatic Systems
- Digital Electronics
- Technical Planning and Recording
- Aircraft Landing Gear
- Aviation Safety
Though the actual course requirements might differ as per the course and university, here are some general prerequisites you must know before applying for BSc Aeronautics/Aeronautical Engineering:
- The applicant must have completed their 10+2 in science stream (with MPC subjects) from a recognized board and with minimum marks specified by their chosen university.
- If you are planning to study a BSc degree in Aeronautical Engineering, you will be also required to provide language proficiency test scores like IELTS/TOEFL/PTE, etc. along with a Statement of Purpose (SOP) and Letters of Recommendation (LORs).
There are an array of universities and colleges around the globe offering Aeronautical Engineering courses at undergraduate and postgraduate level. Here are the major universities offering BSc Aeronautics/Aeronautical Engineering:
- Clarkson University
- University of Witwatersrand
- University of Sydney
- University of Leeds
- City, University of London
- University of South Wales
- Royal Military College of Canada
- Loughborough University
- University of Salford
- Staffordshire University
- University of Southampton
To know more, check out Aeronautical Engineering colleges in the World!
Top 10 colleges for BSc Aeronautics in India
You can pursue the aeronautic course from India as well as abroad. The colleges in India offer aeronautics courses at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Here is the list of top 10 colleges for Bsc Aeronautics in India:
- Srinivas University
- The Bombay Flying Club’s College of Aviation
- Indian Institute of Aircraft Engineering
- Jamia Millia Islamia
- Wingsss College of Aviation Technology
- Nehru College of Aeronautics and Applied Science
- Mumbai University
- NIT Delhi
- Orient Flight School
- Fly tech Aviation Academy
For admission into BSc, Aeronautics applicants have to appear for the entrance examination. There is no single particular examination for admission in the aeronautics course. The entrance examination depends on the university you wish to pursue the course. Here is the list of entrance exam accepted in institutions offering BSc Aeronautics :
GATE is conducted by IIT Bombay every year in 27 subjects. The exam consists of Multiple choice questions and conducted online.GATE scores are valid for a 3-year duration. Many of the colleges offering BSc in Aeronautics accepted GATE scores for admission.
- AME CET
AME CET is conducted by the different institutes for admission into Aircraft maintenance courses. The entrance exam consists of 90 multiple choice questions and for every wrong response, one mark is deducted. The exam is conducted both online and offline.
Wondering if you possess the required skills to pursue a BSc in Aeronautics? With strong willpower, determination, and eagerness to learn you will surely succeed in building a career in a related field. Here are some skills that are an added advantage :
- Ability to lead
- Quick decision making
- Alertness and attention to detail
- Quick learner
- Physical Fitness
- Take ownership of tasks
- Normal color vision
- Manual, technical and mechanical aptitude
- Ability to solve arithmetic quickly
Courses like these can open the gates for a very successful as well as well paid job. This course will help you find your true potential in the field and give you exposure in the same. Here are a few job prospects that one can pursue after finishing a degree in BSc Aeronautics:
- Flight Engineer
- Flight Operator
- Flight Instructor
- Air Traffic Controller
- Airline Pilot
The question that comes to every student’s mind is how much will I earn after completion of the course? Students that have graduated after completion of BSc Aeronautics are able to land decent-paying jobs. Here is the salary structure of top job profiles:
|Job Profile||Salary (in INR) per annum|
|Air Traffic Controller||₹2,50,000|
|Airline Pilot||₹ 5,70,049|
You can either go for further studies or work in the aviation sector.
BSc Aviation is related to airport management and operation whereas BSc Aeronautics is related to engineering.
Yes, there are no such restrictions and you can pursue BSc Aeronautics.
You can work as an airline pilot, flight operator, flight instructor, etc.
The average cost ranges between Rs. 2 lakhs to Rs.3.5 lakhs
There is no common entrance exam.
Coming to a decision about your career can be quite challenging as it is difficult to understand whether a particular course is the right fit for you. If you are someone who is confused about whether this course is an ideal choice for you, let the experts at Leverage Edu help you make a decision that takes into account your strengths and interests.