One of the lesser-known engineering branches, the exceptionally vast field of Aeronautical Engineering encompasses the construction and designing of aircraft and spacecraft. From launching space missions to creating supersonic aircraft designs, Aeronautical Engineers develop engineering solutions and machinery designs for government and private aviation organisations. There are several universities around the world that offer the traditional bachelor’s degree, master’s degree programs and short-term diplomas in Aeronautical Engineering. If you are passionate about the world of aircraft and spacecraft, here is a detailed blog on the Aeronautical Engineering colleges across the globe and their offered programs in this field.
This Blog Includes:
- Course Structure
- Top Aeronautical Engineering Colleges Abroad
- Other Aeronautical Engineering Colleges Abroad
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA
- Purdue University, USA
- Imperial College London, UK
- California Institute of Technology, USA
- University of Glasgow, UK
- University of Toronto, Canada
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
- Cornell University, USA
- Aeronautical Engineering Colleges in India
- Aeronautical Engineering Eligibility Criteria
- Popular Specialisations
Aeronautical Engineering is based on a practical and theoretical blend of learning. The coursework involves tutorials, field trips and lab practices to include every aspect of the field. It deals with the development and designing of aircraft, studying principles associated with the field and research based on previously existing models. It is a fascinating course that brings together different disciplines to guide its undertakers about two major overlapping branches which are Aerospace and Astronautical Engineering.
Here is the complete list of Aeronautical Engineering subjects!
Top Aeronautical Engineering Colleges Abroad
Aeronautical engineering is a highly sought-after profession. It is one of the most popular alternatives for individuals seeking fantastic possibilities in engineering fields. There are several institutions worldwide that offer bachelor’s and master’s degree programs in Aeronautical Engineering. Choosing the best one is a difficult process, which is why we have compiled a list of the finest Aeronautical Engineering colleges from across the world based on their QS World University Rankings.
|University/College||Location||QS World University Rankings 2021: Mechanical, Aeronautical & Manufacturing Engineering|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||USA||1|
|University of Cambridge||UK||3|
|Nanyang Technological University||Singapore||5|
|University of California Berkeley||USA||6|
|Delft University of Technology||Netherlands||7|
|Imperial College London||UK||8|
|National University of Singapore||Singapore||9|
|University of Oxford||UK||10|
|University of Michigan||USA||12|
|Georgia Institute of Technology||USA||14|
|The Polytechnic University of Milan||Italy||15|
Other Aeronautical Engineering Colleges Abroad
Apart from the aforementioned top-ranking Aeronautical Engineering colleges from different parts of the world, here is another list of some renowned universities that have excellent courses and programs in Aeronautical Engineering.
- Cornell University, USA
- University of Toronto, Canada
- University of Glasgow, UK
- California Institute of Technology, USA
- Purdue University, USA
- Georgia Institute of Technology, USA
- University of Illinois, USA
- Texas A&M University, USA
- Princeton University, USA
- University of Colorado, Boulder, USA
Let’s now know about some of the above-mentioned Aeronautical Engineering colleges fro around the world in detail:
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA
Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics
Programs Offered: Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering; Master of Science in Aeronautics and Astronautics
The Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics, MIT is one of the oldest Aeronautical Engineering Colleges to offer undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Aeronautics and Aerospace Engineering. It practices a holistic approach to teach students about aerospace and other Engineering-related systems. The department has worked extensively towards finding suitable solutions to existing aeronautics-related problems and also encourages students to create innovative aerospace vehicles, technologies and systems.
Purdue University, USA
School of Aeronautics and Astronautics
Programs Offered: Undergraduate program in Aeronautics and Astronautics; MS in Aeronautics and Astronautics; PhD in Aeronautics and Astronautics
The eminence of Purdue University can be gauged by the fact that amongst its long list of successful astronauts from the university include Neil Armstrong, the first man on the moon. The university offers the 5th best graduate engineering program in the United States along with various bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees. Within its masters, it offers both thesis and non-thesis tracks and a diverse list of research areas.
Imperial College London, UK
Department of Aeronautics
Programs Offered: Master of Aeronautical Engineering; Master of Aeronautical Engineering with a Year Abroad
The Imperial College London offers 4-year master’s degree programs in Aeronautical Engineering which incorporate laboratories-based coursework as well as individual design and research projects. The final two years provide highly specialised training of developing aircraft. Further, the Master of Aeronautical Engineering with a Year Abroad lets you train at either France, Germany, Singapore, Switzerland or the USA for a year.
California Institute of Technology, USA
Department of Aerospace, Graduate Aerospace Laboratories (GALCIT)
Programs Offered: Master in Aeronautics; Master in Space Engineering
The postgraduate programs in Aeronautics and Space Engineering offered by the illustrious GALCIT at the California Institute of Technology encompass the field of Space Technology as well. The specialisations offered in these master’s degree programs include Fluid Mechanics, Propulsion and Bio-inspired Design, Solid Mechanics and Materials and Space Engineering. It also offers several scholarships and funding options.
University of Glasgow, UK
School of Aeronautical Engineering
Programs Offered: Bachelor of Aeronautical Engineering; Master of Aeronautical Engineering
Regarded as one of the most coveted Aeronautical Engineering colleges in the United Kingdom, the University of Glasgow remains a top study destination for pursuing courses in Aeronautics and Aerospace Engineering. Moreover, international students are required to have English language certification to gain admission at the university.
University of Toronto, Canada
Institute for Aerospace Studies
Programs Offered: Master of Engineering in Aerospace Science and Engineering; Master of Applied Science in Aerospace Science and Engineering; Doctor of Philosophy in Aerospace Science and Engineering
If you are looking for Aeronautical Engineering colleges in Canada, the University of Toronto is amongst the best colleges in Canada and offers a wide range of degree courses in the field of Aeronautics and Aerospace Engineering. Graduates of the institute have gone on to work in top-notch international aerospace companies. The department also has numerous industry and academic tie-ups with organisations and institutions around the world.
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
College of Engineering
Programs Offered: Undergraduate program in Aerospace Engineering; Master of Engineering in Space Engineering; Master of Science in Aerospace Engineering; Doctor of Philosophy in Aerospace Engineering
The College of Engineering at the University of Michigan is amongst the best Aeronautical Engineering colleges in the USA. Established more than a century ago, the college offers a wide range of bachelor’s, master’s as well as doctoral courses in Aerospace Engineering.
Cornell University, USA
Sibley School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Programs Offered: Undergraduate program in Mechanical Engineering with a concentration in Fluids/Aerospace Engineering; Master of Engineering Program in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Cornell University is one of the leading Aeronautical Engineering colleges in the US and offers undergraduate as well as the master’s programs in Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering. These programs are highly flexible and allow students to specialise as well as gain knowledge across different disciplines. Moreover, a prior degree in Engineering is required to apply for the postgraduate programs offered at the university.
Also read: Aerospace Engineering in Germany
Aeronautical Engineering Colleges in India
Now that you are familiar with global colleges offering various courses in Aeronautical Engineering, now let us take a look at some of the popular institutions of India. Here are the top Aeronautical Engineering colleges in India:
|Aeronautical Engineering Colleges in India||Location|
|Indian Institute of Technology [IIT]||Kanpur|
|Indian Institute of Aeronautical Engineering||Dehradun|
|Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology||Thiruvanthapuram|
|Punjab Engineering College||Chandigarh|
|Manipal Institute of Technology||Manipal|
|Madras Institute of Technology||Chennai|
|Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science||Chennai|
|School of Aeronautics||Delhi|
|Dayanand Sagar College of Engineering||Bengaluru|
|Kumaraguru College of Technology||Coimbatore|
|University of Petroleum and Energy Studies||Dehradun|
Top Aeronautical Engineering Colleges in Delhi NCR
Given below is a list of some of the top Aeronautical Engineering colleges in the Delhi NCR region:
- National Institute of Aeronautical Engineering Research and Management, New Delhi
- Amity University, Noida
Top Aeronautical Engineering Colleges in Chennai
Here is a list of some of the best Aeronautical Engineering colleges to study in Chennai:
- Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology
- Madras Institute of Technology
- Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science
- Dr. MGR Educational and Research Institute
- Bharath Institute of Higher Education and Research
- GKM College of Engineering and Technology
- St Peter’s University
Top Aeronautical Engineering Colleges in Bengaluru
Let’s explore some of the best and highly renowned Aeronautical Engineering colleges that are present in Bengaluru:
- Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering
- Dr Ambedkar Institute of Technology
- Nitte Meenakshi Institute of Technology
- Acharya Institute of Technology
- International Institute for Aerospace Engineering and Management, Jain University
- Acharya Polytechnic
Top Aeronautical Engineering Colleges in Hyderabad
Here is a list of top Aeronautical Engineering colleges in Hyderabad:
- Malla Reddy College of Engineering and Technology
- Institute of Aeronautical Engineering
- MLR Institute of Technology
- GITAM School of Technology
- Mahaveer Institute of Science and Technology
Top Aeronautical Engineering Colleges in Coimbatore
Here is a list of top Aeronautical Engineering colleges in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu:
- Kumaraguru College of Technology
- Sri Ramakrishna Engineering College
- Hindusthan College of Engineering and Technology,
- Nehru Institute of Technology
- Park College of Engineering and Technology
Aeronautical Engineering Eligibility Criteria
An undergraduate degree typically costs between Rs 1 and 5 lakhs per year, whereas a postgraduate program typically costs between Rs 2 and 10 lakhs per year. A diploma program in Aeronautics costs between Rs 60,000 and Rs 1,000,000 per year. If students choose to study Aeronautical Engineering from overseas, the cost of education will be more than the average projected values stated above. Any candidate interested in pursuing Aeronautical Engineering must meet the following qualifying requirements:
- Many engineering institutions in India provide Aeronautical Engineering courses for which, JEE Main and JEE Advanced scores are required for admission as Aeronautical Engineers.
- The fundamental qualifying criteria for aeronautical engineering are a minimum of 70% – 75% in PCM in Class 12.
- Diploma holders in aviation maintenance engineering can get degrees after passing the Aeronautical Society of India‘s examinations.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Aeronautical Engineering with aggregate marks of at least 50% is required for entrance to Postgraduate and Doctoral programs.
- Many universities, including IITs, IISc, and science research organisations, accept GATE scores as admission to Master’s degree programmes.
- Students who wish to pursue Aeronautical Engineering from abroad must be proficient in Mathematics and Physics in order to get admissions into top universities for bachelor’s programs.
- For masters abroad, students must be having a valid bachelor’s degree in the same or similar domain with at least 55% aggregate marks from a recognized university or college.
- The student might also require exam scores like GRE, or any other test accepted by the university.
- Apart from that, the students must be having a competitive IELTS, TOEFL, PTE score too if they prefer to study in an English-speaking country.
Here is a list of popular specializations that you might choose from while pursuing a degree in Aeronautical Engineering:
- Aircraft Structures and Materials
- Aircraft Maintenance, Repair, and Overhaul
- Aerodynamics and Fluid Dynamics
- Structural Design and Engineering
- Aerospace Propulsion
- Navigational Guidance and Control Systems
Russia is at the top of the list for the best countries to pursue aeronautical engineering. It offers a large number of programs in aerospace and aeronautical engineering which are valued worldwide. As a developed country, it has lucrative degrees for students from all over the world.
The most advantageous course to pursue in aeronautical engineering at the undergrad level is BE Aeronautical Engineering which is a 3-4 years course and includes in its curriculum important concepts and specializations related to the field of aeronautics and aviation.
All private and government aviation corporations hire Aeronautical Engineers for a large number of jobs. This could include manufacturing, testing and development. The scope of Aeronautical Engineering is ever-expanding and poses stimulating employment opportunities to people pursuing a career in this field.
It takes about 3-4 years to earn a degree in aeronautical engineering, complete with theoretical and practical knowledge. The duration varies in the course being pursued, the country in which the student is studying and the structure of the modules.
Thus, the above-mentioned Aeronautical Engineering colleges are amongst the leading institutions offering specialised degree and diploma programs in this extensive field. You can always take the help of Leverage Edu‘s AI Course Finder to browse through an array of courses offered in Aeronautical and Aerospace Engineering around the world and it will also help you select a suitable course and university that can equip you with the right knowledge and exposure into the world of aircraft.