Cornell University is a part of the prestigious Ivy League Universities and has a high acceptance rate. From the admission process to managing the cost of study, pursuing your dream course at an Ivy League institution. To make it easier and affordable for deserving students, Cornell University provides a number of financial aid to offer financial assistance to students. Let’s explore everything you need to know about Cornell University scholarships from eligibility requirements to the application process.
|Type||Private Research University|
|Location||Ithaca, New York, United States of America|
|No. of Campuses||4|
|Application Fee||$80 (INR 6,339)|
|English Language Requirements||IELTS: 7.0
TOEFL iBT: 100
TOEFL PBT: 600
This Blog Includes:
- Tuition and Living Expenses at Cornell University
- Scholarships for Students from India
- Tata Scholarship – Cornell University
- How to Apply for Cornell University Scholarships?
- Cornell University Scholarships for UG PG Students
- External Scholarships at Cornell University
- Other Scholarships
Tuition and Living Expenses at Cornell University
If you are planning to study at Cornell University, it’s very important to keep a track of tuition costs and living expenses to budget and manage accordingly.
Cost of Study
The tuition fee varies for different courses. But the table below mentions the amount of studying the following degrees that can range up to $114,632 (INR 8583888)
|Degree||Tuition Fees per Year||In INR|
|Graduate School||$20,800 – $29,500||INR 15,51,316 – INR 22,00,183|
|Professional Degrees||$39,466 – $114,632||INR 29,43,472 – INR 85,49,541|
Cost of Living
The average cost of living on-campus at Cornell University ranges from $22,726 – $24,594 ( INR 16,97,199 – INR 18,34,282) per year. Check out Leverage Edu’s Cost of Living to find out a detailed breakdown of living in the United States and manage expenses accordingly.
Scholarships for Students from India
There are a number of grants and scholarships that are offered to Cornell undergraduate students. Before applying, students must keep in mind that:
- There is no merit aid or athletic scholarship awarded at Cornell. All grant aid is need-based only.
- There is no minimum or maximum amount of gift aid that can be awarded to the students.
- External scholarships are eligible to replace loan or work components of the aid package but external scholarships do not reduce the parent contribution.
Have you heard about the popular Leverage Edu scholarship worth INR 5,00,000? Yes, you read it right, Leverage Edu is offering an overseas scholarship exclusively for Indian students. Apply now!
Cornell University Grant
Cornell Grants are available to students with financial needs. The aid comes from several sources such as university endowments, alumni gifts, and a general fund. Things to keep in mind before applying:
- There is no minimum or maximum amount of grant awarded.
- There is no standard “income bracket” or cut-off for grant aid recipients.
- The eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Cornell University grants are awarded after non-university funds, work-study, and loans.
- Students are automatically considered for these funds when they apply for financial aid; they don’t need to perform any separate application process.
*Please note that International students who have indicated on their applications that they will not be applying for financial aid and are admitted are not eligible to apply for financial aid at any time as undergraduate students at Cornell University.
Did you know that Cornell University awarded the world’s first degree in journalism
Also Read: MBA at Cornell University
Students who are eligible for Cornell University Grants may also be eligible to receive a named endowed scholarship. Endowed scholarships are established by individuals who care deeply about Cornell and its students. Some donors are Cornell alumni, who were themselves the beneficiaries of student aid. Keeping in mind that:
- A named endowed scholarship does not change the total amount of financial aid awarded.
- Funds awarded through endowed scholarships replace the amount of any Cornell grant or self-help component (loans and work-study) on a dollar-for-dollar basis based on fund restrictions.
- Scholarships are awarded to those students who meet the criteria that are specific to each fund.
- Students are automatically considered for these funds when they apply for financial aid.
- Selection is based on a student’s match with a donor’s criteria.
*Students who anticipate the need for financial assistance at any point during their undergraduate course of study at Cornell can apply for aid when they apply for admission.
Tata Scholarship – Cornell University
The Tata Scholarship supports approximately 20 scholars/students at any given time and ensures that excellent Indian students can have access to Cornell, regardless of their financial circumstances. The scholarship is awarded annually. The recipients of the Tata Scholarship receive the scholarship for the duration of their undergraduate studies at Cornell University.
Did you know that Cornell University is an Alma mater to India’s most influential industrialist and philanthropist Ratan Tata?
To apply for the Tata Scholarship at Cornell University, the student must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Should be a citizen of India
- Should have attended secondary school in India
- Should be offered admission to Cornell as an undergraduate student, however, preference will be given to qualified students accepted to the following
- College of Architecture, Art, and Planning
- College of Engineering
- Applied Economics and Management major in the Cornell SC Johnson College of Business
- Colleges in the biological sciences, physical sciences, and other “hard” sciences, social sciences
- Should be eligible for need-based financial aid
How to Apply for Cornell University Scholarships?
To apply for financial aid/scholarships, international students are supposed to complete the College Scholarship Service (CSS) profile at Cornell University. The following are the documents you must keep while applying for the scholarship/financial aid and to complete the CSS Profile:
- Tax returns
- W-2 form/ records of Current Income
- Records of untaxed income and benefits
- Assets and Bank Statements
Cornell University Scholarships for UG PG Students
The majority of financial aid is provided through need-based grants, rather than Cornell University Scholarships. Furthermore, undergraduate students at Cornell are given greater financial aid than graduate students. 267 million dollars and 146 million dollars were awarded to students starting Cornell undergraduate and graduate programs, respectively, in 2018-19.
Undergraduate Students: The average Cornell grant for a first-year undergraduate student in the Class of 2022 was $40,686, with the highest grant being 76,997 dollars. The stipend covers about half to ninety percent of tuition and fees.
Graduate Students: Merit-based Graduate student scholarships at Cornell are program-specific and based on admissions applications. International students enrolled in the Cornell Masters of Engineering program, for example, are eligible for the Knight Scholarship (up to USD 40,000) and the MEC Scholarship (up to USD 20,000). ( USD 20,00- up to full tuition).Graduate students who are selected for assistantships and fellowships are granted USD 28, 036 per year.
External Scholarships at Cornell University
Various private groups invest in these kids’ studies to assist them to achieve their aim of obtaining a Cornell education and degree. This has resulted in a large growth in the number of foreign students from nations such as India, China, Brazil, and others throughout the years. The following table lists some of the external Cornell University scholarships available to Indian students:
|JN Tata Endowment Scholarship||INR 1,00,000- INR 10,00,000|
|Aga Khan Foundation Scholarship||Full tuition fees ( 50% award & 50% loan)|
|KC Mahindra Trust Scholarship||Varies; interest-free loan scholarship|
|OPEC Fund for International Development Scholarship||Full tuition fees & Partial living expenses|
There are several other scholarships that Indian students who want to study at Cornell University can apply for.
These scholarships are offered to Masters and Research students. The student applying for the Fulbright Scholarship must be an international student and should be pursuing a masters or research academic program. The scholarship benefits and grants vary for different courses.
OPEC Fund for International Development Scholarship
The student must be a citizen of developing countries such as India. The student must be pursuing a relevant bachelors or masters program. The OPEC Fund for International Development Scholarship provides students with a full-tuition fee and partial living expenses.
JN Tata Endowment Scholarship
The student applying for the scholarship must be a citizen of India. This scholarship is offered to Indian students wanting to pursue a master’s program. The student must have scored at least 65% in their undergraduate program.
KC Mahindra Trust Scholarship
Every year, the KC Mahindra Scholarship and grants are awarded to Indian citizens who have excelled academically but come from financially disadvantaged circumstances and are unable to fund their studies. Students interested in pursuing Post-Graduate Studies Abroad at a recognized institution or institute can participate in the program.
Aga Khan Foundation Scholarship
Every year, the Aga Khan Foundation Scholarships provide opportunities for students from impoverished nations to study in the United States. Scholarship recipients can apply to colleges in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, France, and Portugal.
Some popular majors offered at Cornell University are Engineering, Business, Management, Marketing and Sciences.
Cornell University has been ranked #22 by the QS World University Rankings 2022.
Are you planning to study abroad but not sure where to start from? Contact our Leverage Edu for end-to-end assistance from application to Visa process. Call us at 1800 57 2000 and book your FREE 30-minutes counseling session today!