The USA is one of the most sought after study abroad destinations in the world. It has a vibrant economy and offers a diverse cultural experience. With so many opportunities on offer, it is no wonder that an increasing number of students are looking to study abroad in the USA each year. If you are also looking to study in the USA, then you have come to the right place! Read on for a list of available PhD scholarships in the USA for international students.
This Blog Includes:
- List of PhD Scholarships in the USA
- Scholarship Details
- Yale University Scholarships USA
- Fullbright Scholarships
- AAUW International Fellowships
- Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship
- Franklin Mosher Baldwin Memorial Fellowship
- Josephine de Karman Fellowship Trust
- NCITD International Trade Scholarships
- Campbell Fellowships for Transformative Research
- IBM PhD Fellowship Awards Program
List of PhD Scholarships in the USA
We have compiled a list of fully funded PhD scholarships for international students offered by accredited universities across the USA. These funded PhD scholarships cover your tuition fees and stipend as well as provide travel allowance, health insurance coverage and accommodation.
|Name of the Scholarship||Amount||Deadline||Who can Apply|
|Yale University Scholarships USA||$50,000 (INR 37.19 Lakhs)||As per the course||Open to All|
|Fulbright Scholarships||$35,000 (INR 26.03 Lakhs) for master’s students, funding for PhD-students and scholars differs.||Feb-Oct 2022||Open to All|
|AAUW International Fellowships||$20,000 (INR 14.87 Lakhs)||December||Only for Females|
|Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship||$10,000 (INR 7.43 Lakhs)||December||Only for Females|
|Franklin Mosher Baldwin Memorial Fellowship||$15000 (INR 11.15 Lakhs)||February||Open to All|
|HHMI International Student Research Fellowships||$43,000 (INR 31.98 Lakhs)||February||Open to All|
|Josephine de Karman Fellowship Trust||$25,000 (INR 18.59 Lakhs)||January||Open to All|
|NCITD International Trade Scholarships||$1000 (INR 74,386)||March||Open to All|
|Campbell Fellowships for Transformative Research||$4500 (INR 3.34 Lakhs)||November||Only for Females|
|IBM PhD Fellowship Awards Program||$6000-25000 (INR 4.46-18.59 Lakhs)||November||Open to All|
Given below are the details of the above-mentioned PhD scholarships in the USA.
Yale University Scholarships USA
PhD students at Yale University are normally fully-funded for a minimum of five years. During that time, the students receive a twelve-month stipend to cover living expenses and a fellowship that covers the full cost of tuition.
At Yale, students typically receive an annual stipend of $30,000-$34,000 (INR 22.31-25.29 Lakhs). Most of their students also receive a TA or RA appointment, which provides an additional $20,000-$25,000 (INR 14.87-18.59 Lakhs) per year.
These appointments provide you with valuable teaching experience and free up your time to attend conferences and pursue other activities. Some programs also offer summer funding as well.
Also Read: Yale vs Princeton
The Fulbright Foreign Student Program enables graduate students, young professionals and artists from abroad to study and conduct research in the United States at US universities or other academic institutions. International students from 155 countries around the world participate in this prestigious program each year.
The program offers grants for US study that include:
- Tuition and fees (for 9-month programs or variable)
- A living stipend (for 9-month programs)
- Round-trip transportation (for 9-month programs)
- Health insurance (for 9-month programs)
- Other costs (including books, supply fees and dependent care expenses) are not included.
You can check the attached chart for specific costs for each program type. There may be additional costs for some study abroad programs depending on individual needs.
AAUW International Fellowships
As one of the oldest and largest international fellowship programs, the AAUW International Fellowships have a long history of providing women with much-needed support as they pursue graduate study in the US. The program’s deep commitment to supporting women, while also promoting global understanding, makes it a unique, priceless experience for its recipients.
AAUW International Fellowships are highly competitive PhD scholarships in the USA and require an application by December 1st.
The fellowship includes:
- $20,000 (INR 14.87 Lakhs) stipend
- English language proficiency is must
- Full tuition and fees at most universities in the US
Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship
The Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship is awarded to female students who demonstrate academic excellence, a commitment to leadership in computer science, and a passion for increasing the number of women in computer science.
The scholarship supports women who are pursuing careers in computer science or related technical fields. Recipients receive a $10,000 (INR 7.43 Lakhs) award for the upcoming academic year, including summer if applicable.
The scholarships are awarded based on the strength of each candidate’s academic background and demonstrated leadership. All scholarship recipients and finalists will be invited to attend the Annual Google Scholars’ Retreat in Mountain View, California.
Also Read: Scholarships For Girls in 2021
Franklin Mosher Baldwin Memorial Fellowship
This PhD scholarship in the USA is meant to help develop future leaders in the scientific study of humankind. The fellowship has a particular focus on fostering collaborative research and training projects with developing countries and underrepresented minorities in the United States.
To be eligible for the fellowship, you must:
- Be a citizen of a developing country.
- Be currently enrolled in or recently accepted into an accredited graduate program in anthropology, archaeology, physical anthropology or primatology.
- Plan to return to your home country after completion of your studies in the United States.
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4-point scale (B).
- Have completed at least two years of college-level coursework toward your degree before beginning graduate studies.
- Demonstrate strong potential for a career in research related to human origins and evolution.*
The fellowship includes:
- $15,000 (INR 11.15 Lakhs) annual stipend for up to three years.
- Tuition and fees up to $5,000 (INR 3.71 Lakhs) per year.*
- HHMI International Student Research Fellowships
The International Student Research Fellowships are open for international students to pursue research with the help of a $43,000 (INR 31.98 Lakhs) grant. The fellowship is supported by the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. You can apply for this fellowship if you are studying in an accredited American institution and willing to work on projects in biomedical sciences.
Nominees must demonstrate exceptional talent and innovation in research for the biomedical sciences.
To be eligible for an HHMI International Student Research Fellowship (ISRF), you must:
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of a country other than the United States;
- Be entering your third, fourth, or fifth year as a full-time student at an accredited American institution where you are pursuing your doctoral degree;
- Demonstrate exceptional talent and innovation in research for the biomedical sciences.
Josephine de Karman Fellowship Trust
The Karman Fellowship offers $22,000 (INR 16.36 Lakhs) annually to eight graduate students who are pursuing a PhD at an accredited university in the United States. International learners without US citizenship are welcome to apply. Special consideration is given to PhD students in the humanities.
The Karman Fellowship Trust provides financial support to students who will be entering their final year of study or who have recently graduated. The awards are granted on a competitive basis; only outstanding candidates are accepted into the program. Research fellowships are awarded for studies in science, engineering and mathematics in the United States and Canada by the National Academy of Sciences on behalf of The Josephine de Karman Fellowship Trust.
NCITD International Trade Scholarships
The National Council on International Trade Development offers $1,000 (INR 74,486) scholarships to students pursuing non-US master’s or PhDs in areas related to international trade, political science, international affairs, international business, economics or law.
To be eligible for this scholarship, applicants must carry a minimum GPA of 3.0 and submit two letters of recommendation. They must also write a 2,500-word personal narrative about how they plan to make a positive impact on international trade in the future. All entries will be judged based on academic performance, career goals and contributions to the field of international trade.
Campbell Fellowships for Transformative Research
Offering a stipend of $4,500 (INR 3.34 Lakhs) per month, the Campbell Fellowships for Transformative Research are awarded through the School of Advanced Research (SAR) for international female PhD scholars who are researching the circumstances of women in global developing nations.
Scholarships are available to international female graduate students. Applicants must be fluent in English and enrolled at a US university.
- Be enrolled in a doctoral program at the time of application and during tenure of the fellowship
- Have completed the equivalent of a US master’s degree or its equivalent by the start of her fellowship
- Be proficient in English and have an excellent command of written English
- Have demonstrated experience or potential for conducting research on women’s issues in global developing countries
IBM PhD Fellowship Awards Program
The IBM PhD Fellowship Awards Program is an intensely competitive program attracting exceptional doctoral students worldwide who wish to study, intern, or conduct research in the United States. PhD students must have an interest in computer science, electrical engineering, cyber security, mobile computing, data analytics, social technologies, or material sciences. For consideration, candidates must have completed at least one year of their PhD program, reside in any nation except US embargoed countries, and meet visa requirements.
The awards are full scholarships in the USA for the recipient to pursue their PhD degree. The recipient will receive a stipend and travel allowance in addition to health insurance and tuition reimbursement. Recipients can also be considered for additional educational benefits such as repayment of student loans after one year of employment with IBM.
Hope these details about PhD scholarships in the USA help. Did you know Leverage Edu provides scholarships upto INR 5 lakhs to fuel your study abroad journey? Apply for Leverage Edu’s Study Abroad Scholarship today. If you need help with your study abroad admissions, call us at 1800572000.