One of the popular prestigious scholarships for Indian students planning to study abroad, the Fulbright scholarship program operates in more than 150 countries and has witnessed more than 370,000 participants since its establishment which includes people from various walks of life. Originally beginning after World War II, this scholarship program is exclusively those planning to study in the USA for graduate-level programs. Since its inception, a large number of students, teachers, researchers, scholars, scientists and professionals have opted for this scholarship and 60 Fulbright scholarship alumni have also been awarded Nobel Prizes. Want to know about the application process, deadline and requirements for this scholarship? Scroll down to explore all the key details about the Fulbright Scholarship program for Indian students for the year 2020-21.
This Blog Includes:
What is a Fulbright Scholarship?
The Fulbright Scholarship Program was founded by the United States Senator J. William Fulbright after World War II in 1946. It is one of the internationally acclaimed scholarship programs and aims at improving the exchange of ideas and language, intercultural relations, diplomacy among the people of the U.S and other countries. This eminent program allows 8000 grants every year which serves approximately, 1,200 to U.S. scholars, 4,000 to foreign students,1,600 to U.S. students, 900 to foreign visiting scholars, and many others to teachers and professionals.
Here are some of the top advantages you can avail by opting for the Fulbright Scholarship Program:
- The Fulbright scholarship facilitates students, teachers and researchers to carry out their studies and research in the U.S.
- It covers the tuition fee, book and research allowance, cost of living, sickness and health expenses.
- It also provides a 24/7 support line for emergency situations.
List of Fulbright Scholarships
Following are the major Fulbright Scholarships for Indian students:
- Fulbright-Nehru Fellowships
- Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program
- Fulbright Teaching Excellence and Achievement Program
- Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program
- Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowship
- Fulbright Distinguished Awards in Teaching Program for International Teachers
- Fulbright Scholar-in-Residence Program
Amongst these, Fulbright-Nehru Scholarship programs are the most popular amongst Indian students, researchers, teachers and professionals. Here are the major Fulbright-Nehru Scholarship and Fellowship programs:
- Masters Fellowship
- Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Academic and Professional Excellence Fellowship
- Foreign Language Teaching Assistants Program
The eligibility requirements of the Fulbright Scholarship are as follows:
- The applicant should be a resident of India with a remarkable academic/professional background and should excel in their fields.
- The person should have a good medical record.
- The applicant won’t be permitted for a permanent U.S residency (green card).
- The applicant should be present at the USIEF office in Delhi for the interview round.
- The applicants who are pursuing a full-time employment opportunity should be eligible for leave for the duration of their program.
- The candidate should have to submit an undertaking stating that they will be returning to India after the completion of the fellowship program.
- Candidates should be proficient in English Language and must submit their scores for Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) their application.
- Candidates must have a 3-year work experience pursuing paid employment opportunities.
- For the Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowship, the candidate must complete a 4-year undergraduate degree or have a completed Master’s Degree from a recognized university.
The documents essential for submission vary according to the applicant’s country and type of scholarship. However, these are the basic documents required for the Fulbright scholarship program:
- Academic and Professional transcripts from all the degrees studied.
- Online application form
- 3 Letters of Recommendation (LORs)
- GRE score
- A Proof of English Language proficiency through IELTS or TOEFL score
Now that you are familiar with the essential requirements and documents checklist, take a look at the detailed application process for Fulbright Scholarship 2020:
- It is important to know that you can only apply to one scholarship category at a time and plagiarism is strictly unacceptable for the submission of your application.
- The applications must be submitted on the following website: https://apply.iie.org/ffsp2021
- Once you click on ‘create your account’, make sure you enter the name exactly as mentioned on your passport.
- The application must be submitted on the website mentioned and make sure you record the email address and password.
- You may re-enter and make the required changes but once you submit the application, it cannot be undone.
- Fill the rest of the tabs of the application carefully and according to your preference of fellowship needed.
Things to Keep in Mind
While applying for the Fulbright Scholarship, candidates should keep the following points in mind to nail the selection process:
- The applicant should possess effective communication skills.
- The candidate should propose their future ideas to increase and improve intercultural relations among countries through the Fulbright project.
- The academic/ professional competence of the candidate should be good.
- The candidate should have a constructive research topic and a strong reason to conduct it.
- The candidate should have professional maturity, leadership qualities, motivation strategies, social-cultural adaptability and flexibility.
Hope this blog provided you with the important details of the Fulbright fellowship program. Planning to study in the USA? Our Leverage Edu experts are just a click away from helping you find the best course and university along with sorting out the application process as well as finding a suitable scholarship program to fund your higher education! Sign up for a free session with us today!