Today scholarships are not just about the stipend but have become prestigious awards that vouch for your academic strengths. A scholarship can also help you build a bright future reflecting on your qualifications as a student. Getting a scholarship is not an easy task, you need to have a consistent academic record along with meeting the eligibility criteria of the particular scholarship. There are several scholarships awarded on the basis of various factors like academic excellence, economic situation and sports. For the students of north-east India, The North Eastern Council Scholarship grants a stipend and books to those planning to study and pursue their higher studies in any part of the country. Let’s explore more about the key essentials of the NEC scholarship through this blog.
|Name||North Eastern Council- NEC Scholarship|
|Amount||Up to 30,000 INR p.a.|
|Eligibility||Students of Manipal, Mizoram, Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Tripura, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Sikkim|
|NEC Scholarship 2022 (Tentative)||August 2021|
|Closing Date for 2021||January 20, 2021|
|Last date for Defect/Institute Verification||February 4, 2021|
This Blog Includes:
What is NEC Scholarship?
The North Eastern Council is a statutory advisory body consisting of the eight states of North East India, i.e. Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura and Sikkim. The NEC comes under the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. This body discusses the matters that are of common interest to these states. The NEC Scholarship is provided by the council to students who are permanent residents of any of these eight states and are planning to pursue a diploma, an undergraduate degree or a postgraduate degree in any part of the country in fields specified by the Council. The scholarship also includes a stipend and book grants which depend on the degree program you are planning to pursue.
How to Apply Online?
The application process for the scholarship is fairly easy. You need to register through the National Scholarship Portal, fill the form and upload the necessary documents. The documents required for the application are as follows:
- Permanent Residence Certificate
- Recommendation by the head of the institution
- Marksheets of qualifying exams
- Category Certificate (if applicable)
Number of Scholarships
Here are the total number of scholarships offered under NEC scholarship for North-eastern states:
|State||Total NEC Scholarships||Diploma||Degree||PG Degree||MPhil/PhD|
The NEC Scholarship has strict eligibility criteria and is awarded to students who are planning to pursue their higher studies in a specific field. Here are the basic eligibility requirements that you need to fulfil to apply for this scholarship:
- You must be a permanent resident of any of the eight states that belong to the NEC.
- The institute should be recognized by the Ministry of Human Resource Development.
- Selection of the candidates will be done on the basis of merit.
- The number of stipends allocated on a program depends on the fund allocation by the state government.
- M.Phil and PhD candidates will be awarded the stipend and book grants based on their topic of research which must be relevant to the region of North-East India.
- The various fields of study that a scholarship covers are based on the requirements in a particular industry hence it includes practical courses and fields that are more industry-oriented.
Here are the qualifying exam for each NEC scholarship for diploma, degree, PG degree, and MPhil/PhD students:
|Diploma||Must have scored a minimum of 60% aggregate in HSLC or HSSLC or the state or central board secondary school leaving exam|
|Degree||Must have scored a minimum of 60% aggregate in HSLC or HSSLC or the state or central board secondary school leaving exam|
|PG Degree||Must have scored a minimum of 60% aggregate in a degree-level exam in any subject [of BA/BBA/BSc/BE/BTech/BCA/MBBS/LLB] from a recognized academic institution|
|PhD or MPhil||Must have scored a minimum of 60% aggregate in a postgraduate degree from a recognized university|
Students pursuing the following courses are can apply for the NEC merit scholarship. The money awarded to students is also mentioned along with it:
- Diploma Students: 20,000 INR p.a.
- Degree Students: 22,000 INR p.a.
- Postgraduate Students: 25,000 INR p.a.
- MPhil/PhD Students: 30,000 INR p.a.
Documents Required for NEC Merit Scholarship
- A certificate of family income
- A caste certificate issued by recognized authorities
- Bonafide Certificate
- PRC signed by concerned DC
- Copy of Adhar Card
- Copy of Bank Passbook
- Recognition letter either issued by AICTE or equivalent authorities
Benefits of the Scholarship
Since the scholarship is provided for specific fields that have a shortage of adequate trained manpower in the region, the students can choose from wide-ranging careers included in the scholarship. Apart from the stipend, you will also get a credible source that can vouch for your academic record. This will not only help you in exploring better career opportunities but will increase your chances of getting a scholarship for higher education.
The NEC scholarship aims to proffer you with an immense exposure into your chosen field and keeps you motivated to maintain a consistent academic record. These scholarships are important in the development of the state and add value to the human resources of a state, hence making you an asset for the state itself. The stipend acts as financial aid and helps you save up a significant amount of monetary funds. The aim is to look at the scholarship as an achievement that will help you build a bright future.
Renewal of NEC Scholarship
NEC Scholarship recipients have to renew their scholarship in every academic year of their chosen program. Here are the terms and conditions for renewing the NEC Scholarship:
- Students are required to fill the renewal form on the official website of National Scholarship Portal (NSP)
- You will be asked to provide previous year exam marksheets or pass certificate for the renewal application.
- For MPhil/PhD students, the latest progress report by their guide or research supervisor should be submitted and must be countersigned by the registrar of the institute.
- A student is only eligible for scholarship renewal if they have passed or are promoted to the next year. If you are passed but not promoted to the next year, you are eligible for renewing the scholarship on the given condition that you have no backlogs whatsoever.
- If there is any break in the scholarship during the academic year, the student will not be eligible for the renewal and can only apply for the next level program as a new applicant. [There is an exception for this condition in terms of medical cases, when you will be asked to provide a medical certificate issued by the District Medical Officer or Junior Director of National Health Services.]
- If you have requested to change the subject after getting the scholarship, then your request might not get accepted if you have availed the scholarship for the previous course.
- If you have changed the university/college after getting the scholarship, then your renewal application will not be considered.
If you are looking for scholarships that are awarded to students abroad, don’t forget to check out: Scholarships for Indian Students
Thus, NEC Scholarship is a great educational opportunity for students of North-east India and provides them with a boundless exposure in their field of interest. If you are in search of the right scholarship that can fund your dream of studying abroad, Leverage Edu counselors can help you explore different scholarship opportunities and find an ideal one to actualize your career aspirations.