Today scholarships are not just about the stipend but have become prestigious awards that vouch for your academic strengths. A scholarship can also help you build a bright future reflecting on your qualifications as a student. Getting a scholarship is not an easy task, you need to have a consistent academic record along with meeting the eligibility criteria of the particular scholarship. There are several scholarships awarded on the basis of various factors like academic excellence, economic situation and sports. For the students of north-east India, The North Eastern Council Scholarship grants a stipend and books to those planning to study and pursue their higher studies in any part of the country. Let’s explore more about the key essentials of the NEC scholarship through this blog.
|Name||North Eastern Council- NEC Scholarship|
|Amount||Up to 30,000 INR p.a.|
|Eligibility||Students of Manipal, Mizoram, Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Tripura, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Sikkim|
|NEC Scholarship 2022 (Tentative)||August 2021|
|Closing Date for 2022||January 20, 2022|
|Last date for Defect/Institute Verification||February 4, 2022|
|Total Number of Scholarship||1600|
|Awarding Authority||North Eastern Council, Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region, Government of India Shillong|
This Blog Includes:
What is NEC Scholarship?
The North Eastern Council is a statutory advisory body consisting of the eight states of North East India, i.e. Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura and Sikkim. The NEC comes under the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. This body discusses the matters that are of common interest to these states. The NEC Scholarship is provided by the council to students who are permanent residents of any of these eight states and are planning to pursue a diploma, an undergraduate degree or a postgraduate degree in any part of the country in fields specified by the Council. The scholarship also includes a stipend and book grants which depend on the degree program you are planning to pursue.
How to Apply Online?
Eligible candidates can apply for the scholarship through the following steps –
Step 1: Click on the ‘Apply Now‘ button below.
Step 2: Read the guidelines carefully, select the undertaking, and ‘Continue‘.
Step 3: Select the state of domicile, scholarship category (Post Matric), scheme type (scholarship scheme), gender, write the applicant’s name, date of birth, mobile number, email ID.
Step 4: Provide the bank details (Bank name, IFSC Code, Account Number)
Step 5: Select Aadhaar or Bank Account Number as identification detail and click on the ‘Register’ button.
Step 6: The mobile number will be verified and an OTP will be generated.
Step 7: Now, log in using OTP and fill the form.
Step 8: An application ID and password will be generated. Use that for future references.
Note: All the applicants are advised to fill the form correctly, no changes can be made once submitted. The applicants are also advised to fill in only one application as multiple applications will lead to the cancellation of the form.
Number of Scholarships
Here are the total number of scholarships offered under NEC scholarship for North-eastern states:
|State||Total NEC Scholarships||Diploma||Degree||PG Degree||MPhil/PhD|
The NEC Scholarship has strict eligibility criteria and is awarded to students who are planning to pursue their higher studies in a specific field. Here are the basic eligibility requirements that you need to fulfil to apply for this scholarship:
- Be a permanent resident of any of the North-Eastern states (Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim, and Tripura)
- Get admission in diploma, degree, postgraduate, MPhil, or Ph.D. programme
- Have an annual family income of less than INR 8 lakh from all sources
- Have passed HSLC/HSSLC/Secondary School Leaving /Senior Secondary Leaving Certificate examination from a recognized State/Central Board with a minimum of 60% marks in aggregate (For Diploma courses)
- Have passed HSSLC/Senior Secondary Leaving Certificate examination from a recognized State/Central Board with minimum 60% marks in aggregate (For Degree courses)
- Have passed a degree level examination in any discipline (B.A./B.Sc./B.E./B.Tech./M.B.B.S./LLB/BCA/BBA etc.) of any recognized Institute/ University with a minimum of 60% marks in aggregate (For Postgraduate courses)
- Hold a PG degree from any recognized University with a minimum of 60% marks in aggregate (For M.Phil./Ph.D. programmes)
Here is the qualifying exam for each NEC scholarship for diploma, degree, PG degree, and MPhil/PhD students:
|Diploma||Must have scored a minimum of 60% aggregate in HSLC or HSSLC or the state or central board secondary school leaving exam|
|Degree||Must have scored a minimum of 60% aggregate in HSLC or HSSLC or the state or central board secondary school leaving exam|
|PG Degree||Must have scored a minimum of 60% aggregate in a degree-level exam in any subject [of BA/BBA/BSc/BE/BTech/BCA/MBBS/LLB] from a recognized academic institution|
|PhD or MPhil||Must have scored a minimum of 60% aggregate in a postgraduate degree from a recognized university|
Scholarship Closing Date: 30th November 2021
Last Date for Defect Verification: 15th December 2021
Last Date for Institute Verification: 15th December 2021
Terms and Conditions: NEC Scholarship
- The scholarship will not be available for internship or any
- A student shall only be considered for a scholarship in the year of commencement of his/her course. For the subsequent year of course, only renewal will be allowed.
- A sponsored candidate under full employment during the period of study or working/in-service candidates shall not be eligible to receive the scholarship.
- The scholarship for M.Phil. will be available for 2 years and for PhD scholarship shall be for 3 years.
- There will not be any reservation/quota on the basis of category/religion/gender.
Students pursuing the following courses are can apply for the NEC merit scholarship. The money awarded to students is also mentioned along with it:
- Diploma Students: 20,000 INR p.a.
- Degree Students: 22,000 INR p.a.
- Postgraduate Students: 25,000 INR p.a.
- MPhil/PhD Students: 30,000 INR p.a.
Documents Required for NEC Merit Scholarship
- Recommendation letter from the Head of the Institute
- Permanent residence certificate
- Undertaking by the candidate that no other scholarship is being availed
- Undertaking by the candidate to refund the scholarship amount in the case of submission of false information
- Attested copies of all the relevant certificates and mark sheets
- Recognition letter of the course and institution where the candidate is currently pursuing education
- PhD and MPhil candidates need to enclose a research synopsis.
- Income certificate and affidavit for any additional income source
- Attested copy of caste certificate
- Attested copy of domicile certificate
- Age proof such as a Birth certificate or Class 10 board certificate
- Residential proof such as PAN card/ voter ID/ aadhar card/ electricity bill
- Copy of the first page of the bank passbook
Benefits of the Scholarship
Since the scholarship is provided for specific fields that have a shortage of adequate trained manpower in the region, the students can choose from wide-ranging careers included in the scholarship. Apart from the stipend, you will also get a credible source that can vouch for your academic record. This will not only help you in exploring better career opportunities but will increase your chances of getting a scholarship for higher education.
The NEC scholarship aims to proffer you with immense exposure to your chosen field and keeps you motivated to maintain a consistent academic record. These scholarships are important in the development of the state and add value to the human resources of a state, hence making you an asset for the state itself. The stipend acts as financial aid and helps you save up a significant amount of monetary funds. The aim is to look at the scholarship as an achievement that will help you build a bright future.
Renewal of NEC Scholarship
NEC Scholarship recipients have to renew their scholarships in every academic year of their chosen program. Here are the terms and conditions for renewing the NEC Scholarship:
- Students are required to fill the renewal form on the official website of National Scholarship Portal (NSP)
- You will be asked to provide previous year exam marksheets or pass certificate for the renewal application.
- For MPhil/PhD students, the latest progress report by their guide or research supervisor should be submitted and must be countersigned by the registrar of the institute.
- A student is only eligible for scholarship renewal if they have passed or are promoted to the next year. If you are passed but not promoted to the next year, you are eligible for renewing the scholarship on the given condition that you have no backlogs whatsoever.
- If there is any break in the scholarship during the academic year, the student will not be eligible for the renewal and can only apply for the next level program as a new applicant. [There is an exception for this condition in terms of medical cases, when you will be asked to provide a medical certificate issued by the District Medical Officer or Junior Director of National Health Services.]
- If you have requested to change the subject after getting the scholarship, then your request might not get accepted if you have availed the scholarship for the previous course.
- If you have changed the university/college after getting the scholarship, then your renewal application will not be considered.
The DTE will select the candidates based on their merit. The state government of the respective North-Eastern region is responsible for selecting the candidates after publishing an advertisement. Listed below are the selection criteria for the NEC merit scholarship:
- NEC scholarship is a merit-based program.
- It considers the academic merit prescribed for each of the courses for the final selection of candidates.
- The candidates should follow the selection procedure displayed in Annexure 5 of the official NEC scholarship notification.
- The stipulated NEC scholarship amount is disbursed by the state government directly to the candidate’s institute.
- The Directorate of Technical Education (DTE) begins scrutinising the scholarship applications by December (tentative) every year.
- The list of the shortlisted candidates is prepared by January (tentative) every year.
- After the final selection, the candidates will receive the sanctioned NEC scholarship amount.
- The NEC scholarship amount is disbursed to the selected candidates through ECS Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT).
If you are looking for scholarships that are awarded to students abroad, don’t forget to check out: Scholarships for Indian Students
Students fulfilling the eligibility criteria of the scheme guidelines of NEC Merit Scholarship of Ministry of DoNER are eligible to apply for these scholarships. These are available on the National Scholarship Portal.
Yes, the scholarship shall be admissible to the students whose parent/guardian’s annual income from all sources shall not exceed Rs 8.0 lakh.
No, all existing and eligible beneficiaries of the scholarship are required to fill up the renewal form on NSP every year during their entire course period. Every renewal of the scholarship is for a period of one academic year only, if not otherwise specified.
Thus, NEC Scholarship is a great educational opportunity for students of North-east India and provides them with boundless exposure in their field of interest. If you are in search of the right scholarship that can fund your dream of studying abroad, Leverage Edu counsellors can help you explore different scholarship opportunities and find an ideal one to actualize your career aspirations.