BTech Mechatronics Engineering is an exciting branch of engineering that integrates mechanical, technical and computer operations. This makes Mechatronics Engineering the perfect course for students seeking a broad, interdisciplinary engineering education. In this blog, we delve into the details of this course including the syllabus, eligibility, admission process and scope after graduation.
|Full form||Bachelors of Technology in Mechatronics Engineering|
|Further Study Options||M.Tech, MSc, M.E.|
|Job Options||Automotive Engineer, Control System Engineer, Software Engineer, Robotics Engineer, Aerospace Engineer, Mechanical Design Engineer, etc.|
|Salary||The average annual salary ranges between INR 4 -12 Lakhs (India)|
This Blog Includes:
- What is B.Tech in Mechatronics Engineering?
- Skills Required
- Subjects Under B.Tech in Mechatronics Engineering
- Top Universities for B.Tech Mechatronics Engineering Abroad
- Eligibility Criteria
- Scope after B.Tech Mechatronics Engineering
- Top Recruiting Sectors
- Job Profiles
- Average Salary
- Courses after B.Tech Mechatronics Engineering
- Top Universities for B.Tech in Mechatronics Engineering in India
What is B.Tech in Mechatronics Engineering?
It is a 3-4 year undergraduate program that aims to help students develop expertise and knowledge in electrical and mechanical fields to produce simpler, smarter ideas to develop smart electromechanical devices and integrated systems present in our daily lives. Some of the equivalents to this course include BSc/BE in Mechatronics Engineering/ Mechanical Engineering/ Electrical Engineering.
Having a basic knowledge of the sector and the following skills is ideal if you are interested in pursuing BTech in Mechatronics Engineering.
- Basic knowledge of Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry and their application.
- Engineering and Technology: Knowledge about mechanical, technical and computer engineering concepts and applying them to design and produce products and solutions.
- Designing Equipment or Technology: Design new prototypes and improve current products through knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Knowledge about computer-aided design (CAD) to design 3D models and study their mechanisms.
- Programming: Basic knowledge about programming languages like C, C++ or Python
- Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Undertaking production and processing of prototypes, design and products.
- Matlab: It’s a program designed for engineers to analyse and design systems and products to solve problems.
- Solving Complex Problems
- Thinking Critically
Subjects Under B.Tech in Mechatronics Engineering
Subject taught under mechatronics engineering include:
- Engineering Mathematics
- Electronics engineering
- Electrical engineering
- Chemistry for Engineers
- Digital Electronics
- Mechanics and Materials
- Process engineering
- Engineering Projects
- Programming engineering
- Electromagnetics engineering
- Engineering Mechanics
- Instrumentation and Control engineering
- Materials & Design
- Engineering Analysis
- Machine Elements
- Mechatronic Systems
- Power Electronics and Applications
Read More: Best Engineering Courses For Future
Top Universities for B.Tech Mechatronics Engineering Abroad
Universities offer various B.Tech/BSc/BE courses in mechatronics/ mechanical engineering/ electrical engineering/ computer engineering that help you pursue your career as a mechatronics engineer. Here is a list of those top 15 universities around the world:
|University||QS World Ranking 2021||Country|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)||1||United States|
|Stanford University||2||United States|
|University of Cambridge||3||United Kingdom|
|ETH Zurich – Swiss Federal Institute of Technology||4||Switzerland|
|Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (NTU)||5||Singapore|
|University of Oxford||6||United Kingdom|
|University of California Berkeley (UCB)||7||United States|
|Imperial College London||8||United Kingdom|
|National University of Singapore (NUS)||9||Singapore|
|Harvard University||11||United States|
|Georgia Institute of Technology||13||United States|
|California Institute of Technology (Caltech)||14||United States|
|Delft University of Technology||15||Netherlands|
To be eligible for BTech Mechatronics Engineering:
- Students must have passed class 12th in science stream with core subjects as Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics from a recognized board. Minimum marks to enter the program are specified by the university.
- Universities abroad usually require a GRE score to consider you for admission to engineering courses.
- If you are planning to study abroad, you have to give English language proficiency tests like IELTS/ TOEFL/ PTE and clear the minimum score requirement specified by the chosen university.
- For applying to universities in India, you must qualify in an entrance exam like JEE Mains, JEE Advanced or a State-Level entrance exam or a University-specific entrance exam.
If you need help with applying for a BTech Mechatronics Engineering program, you can contact Leverage Edu for end-to-end counselling.
Scope after B.Tech Mechatronics Engineering
After completing a BTech in Mechatronics Engineering degree, it is helpful to gain as much work experience as you can through interning in fields such as robotics, automation and mechanical, electrical and technology-related areas. This helps in securing a job as it helps to broaden and test your skills, which is what an employer is looking for.
Top Recruiting Sectors
Mechatronics Engineers can work in the field of telecommunications, robotics, AI, biotechnology, cybersecurity, computer science, nanotechnology, CAD, automation, aircraft engineering and consumer products and packaging.
Mechatronics engineers can pursue the following jobs:
- Automotive Engineer
- Control System Engineer
- Data Logging Engineer
- Instrumentation Engineer
- Project Engineer
- Software Engineer
- Systems Engineer
- Service Engineer
- Mechatronics technician
- Robotics Engineer
- Data Scientist
- Communication Systems Engineer
- Logistics Engineer
- Instrumentation Engineer
- Aerospace Engineer
- Mechanical Design Engineer
- Automation Engineer
- Biotech Equipment Engineer
- Software and IT Engineer
- Programming Engineer
The average annual salary of a mechatronics engineer can range from INR 4-12 lakhs and in the United States, the average salary is about $70,000 (INR 52.66 Lakhs).
Courses after B.Tech Mechatronics Engineering
After completing a BTech in Mechatronics Engineering, you can continue your studies and pursue a masters degree in mechatronics that will not only help you gain more knowledge and broaden your skills but boost your career and pay. You can choose to pursue MTech/ MSc/ ME in Mechatronics Engineering. There are also PhD Mechatronics Engineering courses that you can pursue if you choose so.
Top Universities for B.Tech in Mechatronics Engineering in India
- Manipal Institute of Technology
- SRM University Chennai
- Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar
- Kumaraguru College of Technology, Coimbatore
- Sathyabama University
- School of Engineering, UPES Dehradun
- Chandigarh University, Chandigarh
- REVA University, Bangalore
- Bannari Amman Institute of Technology, Erode
- SASTRA University, Tamil Nadu
- JNTUH, Telangana
- Kalinga Institute Of Industrial Technology – [KIIT], Bhubaneswar
Thus, BTech Mechatronics Engineering can open doors to an array of opportunities across sectors. If you want to attain overseas education in this field but are not sure in which university to study then take the assistance of Leverage Edu’s AI tool. It will curate a list of the universities which match your interests and professional goals thus helping you kickstart your career in the right direction.