Considered as one of the toughest exams in the world, the Joint Entrance Exam (JEE) organized by the National Testing Agency (NTA) shortlists young minds for the various engineering courses at the coveted Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs). The exam comprises of two stages, IIT-JEE Mains and IIT-JEE Advanced. For those of you who wish to enroll in bachelor level courses offered by the institutions in the long list of IITs, it is necessary to qualify both the levels of the exam. Through every year a large number of candidates appear for this revered exam, but only a handful receive the chance to attain quality education at the institution of national importance. So, If you are planning to appear for the JEE Mains 2020 then, here is a blog that will elucidate some tips and tricks about how to prepare for JEE mains!
This Blog Includes:
How to Prepare for JEE Mains: Get Started
Listed below are the tips you get you started on the preparation for JEE Mains.
- Print the Syllabus of JEE Mains 2021 and read it thoroughly
- Select the books you want to start studying for JEE 2021 preparation
- Make your time table according to the time you feel you can put in your best
- All sources of unnecessary distractions should be removed.
- From the very beginning, make notes of the study material.
- Make sure you don’t have any backlogs, finish your homework on time.
- Keep revising to be thorough with your subjects.
Explore: JEE Advanced Marks vs Rank
The most essential steps towards obtaining a perfect score is having a rock-solid foundation of concepts. It is to note that JEE mains is one of the toughest exams in India and abroad, hence, it is almost impossible to predict the face of question paper and the type of questions which would be a part of it. So, one must have a strong base as it will not only help in solving the questions with accuracy but will also enhance your speed. Moreover, in the initial days of preparation, you should first identify your strengths and weaknesses by going through the syllabus, formulate a time table distributing time equally for strong and weak topics, and then work towards building firm concepts.
Short Notes and Flash Cards
Be it Engineering entrances exams or any other competitive exams, a sure shot success mantra to ace the test is to use flashcards and quirky notes while making notes for mundane topics. Studying through handy and catchy materials will not only boost your memorizing power but will also increase your confidence thus eliminating negative thoughts on how to prepare for JEE mains. You can pen down the important formulae, especially of MPC subjects on the sticky notes and paste them in areas easily accessible to you so that you can take a quick glance at it while doing daily tasks!
Mock Tests and Sample Papers
The next important step in how to prepare for JEE Mains is to practice as many question papers as you can. Solve the mock papers within a fixed time frame as specified in the exam pattern. Continuing this practice will help you get adopted to the habit of solving particular problems and sections within the given time limit. Further, it will also help you understand the type of questions that can be asked, their difficulty level, and various techniques to solve. Critically evaluate your solutions and work on the topics with major issues.
Revision is the Ultimate Key to Sucess!
Revision is the key to score exceptionally well in the exam. The most important tip on how to prepare for JEE mains is to do a thorough revision of what all you have studied throughout the preparation journey. It is necessary to devote a few hours for revision daily so as to retain important concepts for a longer time. JEE mains preparation is not something that can be done overnight. Students invest a great amount of time in order to achieve their career aspirations by clearing this coveted exam. Thus, one should prepare while keeping their weak and strong points in mind. Daily and timely revision can be your extra effort towards achieving success.
How to Prepare for JEE Mains: Things to Avoid
In understanding how to prepare for JEE Mains better, it is essential to know the things you should avoid while doing so. They are listed below for your reference.
- Cut down on excessive mugging: It is best to understand and have in-depth knowledge of your subjects rather than mugging them without knowing the meaning and concepts.
- Backlogs and Procrastination: Procrastination can make anyone lazy, and it is not needed while you prepare for JEE Mains. At the same time, it is essential to complete your assignments on time so that you don’t have any backlog.
- Excessive Social Media and TV: Time is an essential thing in your hand while preparing for JEE Mains. It is best to avoid watching too much TV or wasting time on social media. While preparing for JEE Mains, you need to distribute your time evenly.
- Too much dependency on self-study: Studying only by self is not enough. Looking at the vastness and degree of course and syllabus in preparation for JEE Mains, depending on self-study and through books can fall short. Taking help and guidance of coaching is helpful and assists you in revising correctly and thoroughly.
Also Read: Engineering Entrance Exams
[Bonus]: Best Books For JEE Mains
The availability of a variety of study guides makes it quite confusing when it comes to choosing the best books for IIT JEE preparation. Rather than investing time in reading from scores of books, it is advised to study and revise from a select few. A wide range of books for Maths, Chemistry, and Physics are available which have specially solved sections for JEE preparation. If you are thinking about where and how to prepare for JEE mains, following are some of the books you can rely on:
|Concepts of Physics by HC Verma
Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday, Resnick & Walker
Understanding Physics by D C Pandey
|Modern Approach to Chemical Calculations by RC Mukherjee
Organic Chemistry by OP Tandon
Concept of Physical Chemistry by P Bahadur
|Objective Mathematics by RD Sharma
Plane Trigonometry by SL Loney
The Elements of Coordinate Geometry SL Loney
There can be many tips and tricks on how to prepare for JEE mains and with a well-concocted strategy and dedication, you can clear this exam with flying colours! If you are unsure about the right career path for you then reach out to our experts at Leverage Edu who will assess your profile and will recommend the most suitable career path for you!