Have you ever given a thought on how we import precious natural resources like oil and gas into our country? You ever come across sky-scraping buildings and then you wondered how come fluids run smoothly top to bottom of the structure? Well, this is a complete process coming true with tireless work of Piping Engineers. Be it transportation of fluids or carrying of wastes, Piping Engineering plays a massive role in building and designing a system which could facilitate the process. In this blog, we will understand how Piping Engineering works, a career in it, the scope, and top universities for this course.
This Blog Includes:
- What Does a Piping Engineer do?
- Responsibilities of a Piping Engineer
- Skills of a Piping Engineer
- Piping Engineering As A Study Program
- Top Universities for Piping Engineering
- Average Salary of a Piping Engineer
- Top Global Recruiters
- Must-Have Books for A Piping Engineer
What Does a Piping Engineer do?
The first and foremost challenging task for Piping Engineers is to draw an actual blueprint of all the system which is intended to take place. They are equally involved in the selection of materials that are used to build the underground pipes along with related components essential in the process. Their major role is to supervise the entire process. In order to supervise the process, a few years of experience is mandatory. According to research, Piping Engineers falls in the ambit of Civil Engineering.
Responsibilities of a Piping Engineer
There are massive responsibilities which fall under the ambit of Piping Engineering. Given below are some of them:
- Surveying the installation sites: Piping Engineers have a prime responsibility going to the field where the installation is taking place. They equally play a massive role in spotting a land with irregularity afterwards they come up with a proper blueprint.
- Drawing of actual blueprints for the piping system is another prime responsibility for these Engineers. In order to do so, they have to be well-versed with computer-based software called Computer Assistant Designed.
- Piping Engineering also deals with the cost management of a project. Candidates have to estimate the total expense of a project and ensure their designs are customized with all the parameters which are in the budget.
- As these individuals work in mega power plants and consultancy industries, they analyse the piping stress, pressure, thickness and it’s layout.
Skills of a Piping Engineer
The main skills required are as follows:
- Observational Skills
- Drafting Skills
- Project Management Skills
- Analytical Skills
- Written and Verbal Communication Skills
Piping Engineering As A Study Program
To pursue piping engineering as a career, you may want to study it. To do that, the general eligibility criteria is as follows:
General Eligibility Criteria
Candidates wanting to study Piping Engineering have to ensure that they fulfil the criteria set by universities before planning their applications. Most of the universities offer a postgraduate level degree in the field. Thus, candidates have to make sure they have a bachelors degree in Engineering or equivalent. Apart from that, applicants would be required to take proficiency exams such as IELTS / TOEFL / PTE and GRE. Specific universities might have additional requirements from the incoming students.
Applicants must have a thorough knowledge of the following subjects in order to become make a career in this domain:
- Numerical Methods in Engineering
- GIS Processing Related to Petroleum Industry
- Transport Phenomena
- Software Engineering
- Maintenance in Pipeline
- Petroleum Transport System
- Pipeline Network Analysis
Top Universities for Piping Engineering
Pursuing this course from top universities enables students with excellent career prospects. Given below are some of the leading universities that offer this course:
- University of Aberdeen: This University is one of the oldest institute situated in the UK. It allows students to learn various abilities be it in academics, industry or professionalism. It offers an MSc in Petroleum Engineering in which students learn various aspects of piping technology.
- Newcastle University: Based in the United Kingdom, the University provides a fully-fledged course in Pipeline Engineering which will teach you distinct skills in order to make you an expert of the field.
- University of Strathclyde: This university offers many courses that can help you make a career in the field. Offshore Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and related subjects are taught to students. In the end, students are well versed with pipelines, riser and mooring systems, drillings and wellheads.
- University of Greenwich: This university offers a course in Pipeline Engineering making students equipped with all kinds of required skills. The course is well-designed keeping in mind the hardships students will be facing on the field area.
Average Salary of a Piping Engineer
The average salary can be expanded on as below.
INR 6 lakh per annum is the average salary in India.
Canada: $84,345 (INR 51.5 lakh)
United Kingdom: £48,180 (INR 49 lakh)
The United States of America: $111,204 (INR 100 lakh)
Top Global Recruiters
There are various companies who hire piping engineers. But some of the most popular ones are as following:
- Samsung Engineering
- G S Engineering
- Larsen and Toubro
- Aker Solutions
- Burns & Mcdonnell
Must-Have Books for A Piping Engineer
Some of the most essential books for a piping engineer are listed below.
- PIPE STRESS ENGINEERING by Peng
- INTRODUCTION TO PIPE STRESS ANALYSIS by Sam Kannapan
- DESIGN OF PIPING SYSTEMS by M W Kellogg Company
- PIPING HANDBOOK by M L Nayyar
- PIPE DRAFTING AND DESIGN by Rhea and Perisher
Piping Engineers, as the name suggests, engineers the creation of pipes that transport materials such as gas, oil, waste, etc.
Yes, piping engineering is a good career in the sense that it entails the core engineering experience, offers lucrative packages, various opportunities, and high satisfaction.
Some of the most beneficial careers after doing piping engineering are that of a piping designer, or a lead piping designer, or a piping manager.
After reading this blog, does Piping Engineering seem like a career that fits you well? If yes, then get in touch with Leverage Edu, our experts will help you build a great career in the field by helping you draft a perfect application. We would also connect you with a suitable mentor who will ease the complexities of admission for you! Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute counselling session.