What we eat gets reflected on our bodies and this is the reason why people are now taking the utmost care of their eating habits and lifestyles. It is important to understand that having a disease-free body does not imply healthy living but also the ability to recover from diseases. If you aspire to build a career in a field where you can manage and guide people on how to live a healthy life then you can pursue a program from a range of Dietetics and Nutrition courses. From understanding nutrient requirements and human psychology to gaining knowledge about community nutrition and food preservation, these programs acquaint students with skills necessary for industry-specific roles. Often, people confuse a nutritionist with a dietician but there is one stark difference between the two. While the former advice on matters related to nutrition and food consumption, the latter studies the effects of a diet on the human body. In this blog, we will list some courses in this field and explain key details regarding the same.
This Blog Includes:
- What are Nutrition and Dietetics
- How to Become a Dietician?
- Dietician Course Syllabus
- Required Skillset for Nutrition and Dietetics
- Types of Courses
- Dietician Courses After 12th
- Eligibility Criteria of Nutrition and Dietetics Courses
- Course Fees Nutrition and Dietetics
- Dietetics and Nutrition Courses: Top Universities
- Colleges Offering Nutritionist and Dietician Courses in India
- Scope of Nutrition and Dietetics in India and Abroad
- Upcoming trends for Dietetics And Nutrition Courses
- Career Prospects
- Average Salary After Dietetics And Nutrition Courses
What are Nutrition and Dietetics
Nutrition and dietetics is a discipline of science that deals with fitness, health, and eating well. People who are interested in this field of medicine might study it to pursue a rewarding profession as a nutritionist or dietician. It is offered as a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree. After obtaining one of the two degrees, one can aid others in developing a healthy and fit physique and adhering to a healthy diet. A dietitian is one of the most common job possibilities after completing a nutrition and dietetics education.
How to Become a Dietician?
The dietician’s profession is governed by dietetic societies all over the world. Policymakers and dietary experts who are members of these dietary bodies create and enforce quality maintenance requirements since dieticians are such an essential part of the food and health system. To work as a qualified dietitian, you must have the Registered Dietician (RD) qualification. A post-graduate level dietician education is normally needed, as is some nutritional experience in hospitals. In India, the RD certification is given by the Indian Dietetic Association.
Dietician Course Syllabus
A dietetics course is an interdisciplinary program of study. It’s usually taught with several health and medicine-related subjects. The basic curriculum is generally covered in the first year, with the next two to three years devoted to more advanced topics in a Dietician program. To gain a quick overview, read the following:
Apart from Chemistry and Biology, Physiology, Foundational Mathematics, Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry, and several important Social Sciences themes such as Health and Society, Population, and so on are all taught as part of a Dietician course’s core curriculum. Understanding the principles of the human body and the science underlying it requires knowledge gathered from the preceding topics.
As individuals have begun to appreciate the value of living a healthy life, there has been a major surge in the development of health-related sciences. Nutritional Communication, Public Health, Sustainable Food Systems and Management, Health and Poverty, Body Weight Regulation, Food and Diseases, International Nutrition, and Nutritional Psychology are just a few of the areas that have sprung out as a result of groundbreaking research. Any of the above-mentioned paths can lead to a fulfilling and well-received profession for a Dietician school graduate.
Required Skillset for Nutrition and Dietetics
- Interest in food/ food preparation
- Communication skills
- Research skills
Types of Courses
There are a plethora of courses available at the bachelor’s, master’s, and doctorate levels which you can pursue and turn your career aspirations into success. Given below is a comprehensive summary of some of the leading Dietetics and Nutrition courses available:
- Nutrition and Diet Diploma: With a duration of 24-31 weeks, this one of the most famous Dietetics and Nutrition courses equip students with entry-level knowledge about different aspects of a healthy lifestyle including food, wellness, weight loss, medical conditions, etc.
- Dietetic Service Supervisor Certificate: Through this certificate program, the students learn about concepts related to the management of food services in community clinics, schools, etc. Apart from clinical nutrition, students also gain knowledge and acquire skills to handle the kitchen and healthcare industry.
- BSc Nutrition and Dietetics: In this popular course, which generally runs for 3 years, the students can gain knowledge on topics like molecular biology, biochemistry, physiology, etc. Further, they are acquainted with industry-relevant skills through holistic practical and theoretical teachings.
- BSc in Nutritional Biology: The candidates enrolled in one of the popular Dietetics and Nutrition courses are expected to acquire intricate knowledge of agri-food production through detailed lab research and performing the duties of nutritional surveillance. Candidates will be imparted through knowledge. The standard duration of the course is 3 years.
- Master of Dietetics: Usually, the course runs for 1.5-2 years. Under this program, the students get in-depth knowledge about community nutrition and health food service along with theories related to public health.
- MSc Nutrition: The curriculum of this program, which runs for 1-2 years, involves components of chemistry, medicine, and food. It is one of the most sought-after Dietetics and Nutrition courses that covers various aspects of public health and clinical nutrition through theoretical knowledge and practical training.
Doctorate Level Courses
- PhD in Nutrition and Public Health: Being a research-based program, this one of the popular Dietetics and Nutrition courses generally runs for 4 years. Students enrolled in the PhD program will study various aspects related to Community Nutrition, Policy and leadership, Nutritional Epidemiology and practices, etc. They will acquire skills in studying the impact of nutrition on diet, ways to measure the diet of the mass, and the relationship between chronic diseases and diet.
- Ph.D. in Food and Nutrition: This particular doctorate course generally runs for a duration of 4 years but can stretch to 6 years. Heavily inclined towards research, the course curriculum revolves around diet, nourishment, and practices which helps to understand the effects of food and nutrition on the human body.
Apart from the above-mentioned degree programs, here is a table that presents some other nutritionist courses and dietetics courses that you can pursue abroad:
|Education Level||Dietetics and Nutrition courses|
|Graduate Diploma||1. Dietetics
2. Nutrition and Dietetics
3. Advance Dietetics Practice
4. Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Public Health
|Undergraduate||1. BSc Food With Nutrition
2. BSc Nutrition and Human Health
3. Bachelors of Food and Nutrition
4. BSc in Food Technology
5. BSc Applied Human Nutrition
6. BSc in Nutritional Biology
7. BSc(Hons) in Human Nutrition and Dietetics
|Postgraduate||1. Masters in Human Nutrition and Food-Related Behaviours
2. Master of Food Technology
3. MA in Food Studies
4. MSc Dietetics Masters in Public Health
5. Masters in Novel Foods
|PhD||1. Nutrition, Food, and Health
2. One Health
3. Food and Nutritional Sciences
4. Food and Nutrition (Research)
Dietician Courses After 12th
- Diploma in Food Science and Nutrition
- Diploma in Nutrition and Health Education
- Diploma in Dietetics
- Diploma in Nutrition and Dietetics
- Diploma in Dietetics and Clinical Nutrition
- Diploma in Nutrition and Food Technology
- BSc Nutrition and Dietetics
Also Read: Food Technology Courses
Eligibility Criteria of Nutrition and Dietetics Courses
- Candidates who desire to enroll in a B Sc. in any of the nutrition and dietetic programs must have a minimum of 10+2 from any state of the central board, with a combination of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
- If you wish to take an undergraduate program in dietetics and nutrition, you must have a minimum of 45 percent in 10+2 with a PCB combo.
- Candidates may also be needed to take an entrance test administered by several universities and colleges to be admitted to nutrition and dietetic programs.
- Candidates who want to take a postgraduate program in nutrition and dietetics must first complete a bachelor’s degree program.
- To pursue an MSc or postgraduate diploma in nutrition and dietetic specialty, they must achieve a minimum of 45 percent in the BSc degree.
- Several colleges and universities have entrance tests to admit students; applicants must take the entrance examination and pass it to enroll in the program.
Course Fees Nutrition and Dietetics
|Minimum Fees||Maximum Fees|
|UG||17.73 K||6.74 Lakhs|
|PG||25.80 K||6.27 Lakhs|
|DIPLOMA||8.00 K||1.20 Lakhs|
Dietetics and Nutrition Courses: Top Universities
Deciding on a university to pursue higher education is a crucial step as it holds the power to shape the career and provide enrolled students with life-changing experiences. Here is a list of some top-notch universities where you can study Dietetics and Nutrition courses:
- The University of Queensland
- University of Nottingham
- University of Texas- Austin
- Deakin University
- Virginia Polytechnic and Institute & State University
- University of Leeds
- Sheffield Hallam University
- University of Surrey
- Monash University
- Centennial College of Applied Arts and Technology
- University of Canberra
- University of Wollongong
- The University of Newcastle
Discover unique ways to make a Career in Health and Physical Education
Colleges Offering Nutritionist and Dietician Courses in India
In India, various colleges provide dietician programs. For your convenience, we’ve compiled a list of the top ten colleges:
|Name of the Colleges||Locations|
|Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar|
|Shoolini University||Himachal Pradesh|
|Mount Carmel College||Karnataka|
|RVS College of Arts and Science||Tamil Nadu|
|Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Open University||Telangana|
|Institute of Yoga and Naturopathy||Maharashtra|
|Institute of Home Economics||Delhi|
Scope of Nutrition and Dietetics in India and Abroad
People are growing increasingly worried about their health as their lifestyles change. They desire to live a healthy and active lifestyle. Nutrition plays an essential part in people’s life nowadays to attain the same goal. The industry is very important in the market, and it is growing at an alarming rate now that the pandemic has hit our lives. As a result, applicants will benefit from pursuing a career in nutrition and dietetics. In hospitals and clinics, a person with a degree in nutrition and dietetics can work as a Nutritionist, Management Dietician, Consultant Dietician, and Dietician. Working as a professional in the sector, they make a good living.
Upcoming trends for Dietetics And Nutrition Courses
The following are some of the current nutrition and dietetic industry trends that practically everyone will be following in 2021:
Immunity Booster: The pandemic caused by COVID-19 has made everyone believe that it is most important to boost the immunity to fight the virus and recover from its after-effects. To enhance immunity, the food sector is concentrating on producing food items supplemented with zinc, selenium, vitamin C, and vitamin D.
Mental Health: Since the lockdown was announced, the focus has shifted to mental health, as the number of people suffering from stress, worry, and depression has risen dramatically. Antioxidants, zinc, magnesium, vitamin B, and other bioactive components are found in foods that boost mental health.
Localism: People are more interested in buying locally grown goods and food items as a result of the pandemic shutdown. It also gave us a sense of gratitude for the farmers, grocery shops, and restaurants that helped us put food on our tables.
Once you get equipped with the strategies and skills in this field through the above-listed Dietetics and Nutrition courses, you can work in an array of job profiles spread across public and private organizations. Here are some popular job profiles in this field:
- Clinical Dietitian
- Food Scientist
- Food Psychologist
- Community Dietitian
- Medical Sales Representative
- Management Dieticians
- Child and Maternal Dietician
- Animal Nutritionist
- Public Health Professional
Average Salary After Dietetics And Nutrition Courses
|Job Profiles||Salary (per annum)|
|Dietitian||Rs. 265,167 (payscale.com data)|
|Consultant Dietician||Rs. 280,000 (glassdoor data)|
|Nutritionist||Rs. 300023 ( payscale.com data)|
|Food Inspector||Rs. 3,62,884 (salaryexpert.com)|
|Food Scientist||Rs. 750,000 ( payscale.com)|
A course in Nutrition and Dietetics can be 3-4 years long depending upon the university you plan to join. Most Indian universities offer a 3-year long course whereas universities abroad offer a 4-year long course.
To become a Nutritionist in India you need to apply for a BSc or BS in a related field followed by taking up an entrance exam to get a valid certification.
Yes, this course is a good career option for all those who will be interested in a healthy lifestyle and fitness. It is a lucrative option in today’s time.
No Nutritionist courses do not require NEET.
Thus, the career opportunities after perusing Dietetics and Nutrition courses are immense. If you want to study these programs abroad but are not sure about how to get started with it then the experts at Leverage Edu will guide you throughout the process. From completing admission-related formalities to preparing for visa interviews, the experts will assist you in securing admission to your dream university.