Imagine walking inside a hospital and finding everything in complete chaos. The patients waiting to be treated, emergency cases being mismanaged, the ward boys working under immense load, and a shortage of doctors on the premises. No one would like to witness such a chaotic situation. To prevent any such mishappenings, this is where healthcare management comes into the picture. Being one of the largest industries in the world, the healthcare sector requires professionals who can effectively manage all the basic to complex activities in hospitals, clinics, or other such facilities. Through this blog, we will shed light on the various courses in the health management field available to pursue.
This Blog Includes:
- What is Healthcare Management?
- What Does A Healthcare Manager Do?
- Healthcare Manager Skills Needed
- How Long Does A Healthcare Management Degree Program Take?
- Healthcare Management: Undergraduate Programs
- Postgraduate Programs
- Health Care Management Course Subjects
- Eligibility Criteria of Health Care Management Courses
- Health Care Management Courses Fees
- Healthcare Management Courses: Best Universities
- Scope of Health Care Management in India and Abroad
- Healthcare Management Jobs
What is Healthcare Management?
In the United States, healthcare management is a rising sector. Jobs in healthcare management are expected to expand by 22 per cent between 2010 and 2020, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. As the population ages and life expectancy rises due to medical improvements, it’s understandable that the need for healthcare personnel and facilities will increase. Professionals to manage healthcare facilities will be in high demand. If you’re considering a career in healthcare management, here are some things to consider.
What Does A Healthcare Manager Do?
Healthcare careers may be incredibly fulfilling, and there are several possibilities to choose from. Those who wish to make a difference and work in the healthcare business but in a less clinical setting might consider becoming a healthcare manager. Let’s look at some of a healthcare manager’s general responsibilities:
- Budgeting and general financial management
- Define goals and establish plans and methods to achieve them.
- Attend and report on numerous meetings Oversee the day-to-day operations of the hospital or department
- Maintain stakeholder ties.
- Manage any problems that develop inside the healthcare institution and deal with them appropriately.
Healthcare Manager Skills Needed
- Interpersonal skills
How Long Does A Healthcare Management Degree Program Take?
You probably want to know how long a degree program will take to finish, in addition to guaranteeing you’ll be faced with a course schedule you’ll enjoy. While most healthcare management professions do require a Bachelor’s degree, you can be confident that the days of earning a Bachelor’s degree in four years are over. You might get a Healthcare Management Bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months, depending on your past academic success level. When looking at Healthcare Management schools, you’ll come across a range of various forms. Whether you like to learn in a classroom, online, or a combination of both, there is a program that will work for you.
Healthcare Management: Undergraduate Programs
As the name insinuates, healthcare management involves the overall management of a healthcare facility, be it a hospital or a clinic. The professionals lead, direct and supervise the organization to ensure the effective delivery of healthcare services and strive for efficiency with a limited amount of resources. To become a professional adept with the intricacies of this field, you should pursue high-quality courses. Here are some of the most popular and preferred undergraduate programs you can consider:
- BSc Health and Social Care Management (Hons)
This 3-year, Bachelor of Science degree allows you to build a strong career in the sector. You can gain a sound knowledge of all the techniques and principles required as per industry standards. From disaster healthcare and reducing inequalities to covering Law, ethics, and policy, the program imparts extensive knowledge in an array of areas.
- BSc in Healthcare Administration
This is one of the most common Healthcare Management courses that prepare students for entry-level positions in business operations in almost all private and public healthcare organizations. The students will be trained on the topics essential to building a strong career like public health policies, human resource management, accounting, finance, legal issues, etc.
- BSc in Health Information Administration
The graduates of this Healthcare Management course are equipped with skills that can be used to manage and implement patient care plans in an organized and effective way. The knowledge they acquire throughout the course i.e. 3 years, can be used to manage the healthcare team, administration, and staff, formulate policies, handle finance, conduct research, and make decisions about the organization.
Apart from the above-mentioned programs, here are some other undergraduate-level courses you might want to consider:
- Diploma in Office Administration- Health Services
- Diploma in Healthcare Environmental Services Management
- BCom in Healthcare Management (Hons)
- BSc in Emergency Medical Care
- BSc in Healthcare Management
Even though undergraduate courses provide students with the requisite knowledge to advance in the field, it is advised to pursue a postgraduate program. It not only helps in skill up-gradation but also enhances your career prospects. Listed below are some of the most popular postgraduation Healthcare Management courses that you can consider:
- MBA Health Care Management
Providing a deep understanding of various concepts, techniques, and skills for handling patients, medical health professionals, and insurance companies, this 2-year program with its diverse curriculum readies students for industry-specific roles. An MBA in Healthcare Management is designed to make students aware of all the intricacies in a particular business that is dedicated to providing healthcare services.
- Master of Health Services Management
Master of Health Services Management is a specially structured Healthcare Management course that builds and upskills management competencies, communication ability, leadership qualities, financial management techniques, project management, and so on. The students learn to manage, and strategically direct the healthcare organization, and develop and execute policies and standards for medical facilities for effective delivery.
- Master of Community Healthcare Services Management
This is one of those Healthcare Management Courses wherein students are prepared for industry roles through a diverse curriculum. The program creates work-ready managers, who can develop, execute and evaluate various community health policies, health economics, and laws, and do strategic and financial management. Running for 1-2 years, the students are taught to achieve and make successful community healthcare programs.
Given below are some other post-graduate level Healthcare Management courses you can pursue:
- MSc Health and Public Service Management
- MSc in Management-Healthcare
- MSc in Health Administration
- MPhil Healthcare Sciences
- Graduate Diploma of Counselling (Clinical Supervision)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Health Science in Leadership and Management
- Master in Public Health
- MBA in Healthcare
Also Read: Health Inspector Course
Health Care Management Course Subjects
- Healthcare Policies and Regulations
- Fundamentals of Healthcare Administration
- Organization of Hospitals
- Disease Control Management
- Medical-Legal Issues
- Quality Assurance
- Administration of Hospital
- Healthcare Economics
- Information Management
- Healthcare Legislation
- Healthcare Planning
- Hospital Enterprises Management
- Medical terminologies
- Conflict management
- Health management
- Principles of Management
Eligibility Criteria of Health Care Management Courses
In India, healthcare management courses are only accessible at the master’s level. Those interested in pursuing this subject must enrol at institutions overseas. You might enrol in any bachelor’s degree program. If you have prior management experience, it will be advantageous. At the bachelor’s level, courses like hospital management or business administration would be helpful, although they are not required.
These are some of the most important considerations for students taking a healthcare management course. They are as mentioned below:
- The student must have finished his or her tenth and twelfth grades from a recognized board.
- The student should have received a minimum of 50% in the 10+2 level. Each college has its own set of mark requirements.
- A basic degree in any discipline is required of the candidate.
- At the undergraduate level, the candidate must achieve a minimum of 50%.
- The entrance tests are the decisive variables in this situation. Those who do well will have the opportunity to apply to top management schools and institutions.
Health Care Management Courses Fees
|Minimum Fees||Maximum Fees|
|UG||30.00 K||9.00 Lakhs|
|PG||18.00 K||18.07 Lakhs|
|DOCTORAL||1.95 Lakhs||3.60 Lakhs|
|DIPLOMA||7.90 K||2.10 Lakhs|
Healthcare Management Courses: Best Universities
With the growing demand for professionals in the healthcare industry, some of the leading and premier universities across the globe have started offering Healthcare Management courses to students. Given below are some of the best universities you can consider:
- Auckland University of Technology
- University of South Wales
- Lancaster University
- Cardiff University
- Brunel University London
- McMaster University
- University of Southern California
- University of Glasgow
- University of Arizona
- The University of British Columbia
- Dublin City University
- University of Hull
Scope of Health Care Management in India and Abroad
Healthcare management has been increasingly popular in recent years. Another sector with a large number of candidates in India is healthcare. Healthcare management combines the two professions. We are seeing an increase in the number of hospitals and alternative medical facilities. Many individuals want to keep healthy as a result of increased health awareness, and they are always in search of improved health services. As a result, the area of healthcare management has expanded. A large number of healthcare firms have emerged outside of India, all to deliver better healthcare. Healthcare is one industry that is never overlooked. The healthcare industry will flourish with experienced healthcare management, and individuals will receive better treatment. Those interested in the pharmaceutical industry, hospitals, insurance firms, or government health care should pursue a career in healthcare management. A specialist in this sector would be needed to deal with issues that hospitals or other organizations in this industry would encounter.
Healthcare Management Jobs
With an increase in demand for professionals, healthcare management course graduates can work in an array of work profiles in numerous industries. Listed below are some of the posts the graduates can work in:
- Medical Records Manager
- Health And Social Services Manager
- Clinical Director
- Hospital Administrator
- Director Of Nursing
- Hospital Chief Financial Officer
- Hospital Chief Executive Officer
Top Recruiters in Healthcare management
- Apollo Life
- Cadila Healthcare
- WIPRO GE Healthcare
- Columbia Asia Hospitals
- Fortis Hospitals
- Aurobindo Pharma
- Sun Pharma
- Nectar life
- HDFC Health Insurance
- Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Company
|Job Profiles||Annual Salary in INR|
|Healthcare Department Manager||Rs. 6 Lakhs p.a. (Approx.)|
|Healthcare Administrator||Rs. 5 Lakhs p.a. (Approx.)|
|Healthcare Finance manager||Rs. 5 Lakhs p.a. (Approx.)|
|Physician Practice Manager||Rs. 5 Lakhs p.a. (Approx.)|
|Quality and Improvement manager||Rs. 16 Lakhs p.a. (Approx.)|
Thus, pursuing Healthcare Management courses can open the door to an array of career opportunities. If you want to pursue these courses abroad but are not sure about how to get started with them then the experts at Leverage Edu will guide you. From identifying the right course through our AI tool to completing the admission-related formalities, the counsellors will guide you at every step.