When our eyes are exposed to pollutants and damaging UV radiation, illnesses such as conjunctivitis, corneal ulcers, cataracts, glaucoma, and keratoconus can develop. Optometrists and optometrists are medical practitioners who specialize in vision problems. Optometry is a discipline of medicine that focuses on the treatment of eye problems as well as the creation of vision-improving devices (such as lenses and spectacles). If you’ve always been intrigued about how the human eye works, optometry courses can help you learn more about this specialized field of medicine. We’ll look at what a Bachelor of Optometry degree entails, the eligibility criteria you need to fulfill as well as the scope it offers. But first. Let’s have a glance at the Bachelor of Optometry course details.
|Course Name||Bachelors in Optometry|
|Short Form||B Optom|
|Eligibility||50% in 10+2 in PCM stream|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 4 LPA|
|Top Recruiters||Government and private hospitals, eye centers and hospitals, ENT clinics and opticians’ outlets, etc|
|Job Prospects||Optometrist, Trainee Optometrist, Optometry Researcher, Vision Care Associate, Vision Consultant, Private Practitioner, Optician|
This Blog Includes:
- What is a Bachelor of Optometry?
- Why Pursue Bachelor of Optometry?
- Advantages of B. Optom
- Types of B. Optom
- Bachelor of Optometry Specializations
- Top Bachelor Of Optometry Entrance Exams
- Bachelor of Optometry Admission Process
- Bachelor of Optometry Syllabus
- Bachelor Of Optometry Recommended Books
- Bachelor of Optometry vs. Bachelor of Science in Optometry
- Bachelor of Optometry Eligibility Criteria
- Popular Colleges Abroad for Bachelor of Optometry
- Bachelor of Optometry Colleges in India
- Future Scope of Bachelor of Optometry
- Job Prospects and Salary for Bachelor of Optometry
A beginners’ guide to learning about How to Become an Eye Specialist?
What is a Bachelor of Optometry?
Optometry is defined as the study of assessing vision and treating all forms of visual impairments. B.Optom, or Bachelor of Optometry, is an undergraduate degree program that focuses on eye and vision care. Generally offered as a 3-4 years long undergraduate program, the Bachelor of Optometry course equips students with a varied understanding of examination, diagnosis, and management of disorders and diseases of the visual system. By studying this course, you will get to know about the advanced clinical skills for professionally measuring eyesight, detecting eye diseases, and prescribing corrective lenses.
Why Pursue Bachelor of Optometry?
There are several advantages to doing a Bachelor of Optometry course. The following are some of the course’s advantages:
- Respectable Profession: It will get you to respect from society because you will be assisting with one of the human body’s most vital organs.
- A Fantastic Future Study Scope: Students can pursue additional education by pursuing a Masters in Optometry, a Masters of Science in Optometry, or a PhD, depending on their interests.
- Multiple Career Options: This degree allows you to work in a variety of professions. Candidates may find work in hospitals, eye clinics, and optical centers, among other places.
- Opportunity to Learn a Wide Variety of Skills: Students acquire a wide range of skills in this course, including how to deal with patients, how to analyze lab tests, and how to operate sophisticated machinery, among other things.
- Opportunity to Become an Entrepreneur: Students who complete a Bachelor of Optometry will be able to create their eye care showrooms and start their businesses.
Here’s an interesting read that will explain to you all about What is Screen Fatigue and How You Can Reduce It?
Advantages of B. Optom
A bachelor of optometry degree is a specialised degree programme designed for those interested in pursuing a career in optometry. It offers a variety of professional options, including ocular research and the exploration of novel pathways for detecting, treating, and curing eye illnesses and diseases. Within the B.Optom. Degree programme, there are several specialties such as paediatric eye care, low vision, contact lenses, vision rehabilitation, ocular disorders, and persons with special needs.
Types of B. Optom
Bachelor of Optometry is an allied health sciences undergraduate degree. After finishing his or her education, an aspirant might study B. Optom and seek a profession in that field. Postgraduate courses in the area, such as a Master of Optometry, are available to further one’s qualifications (M. Optom).
What is the difference between Ophthalmologists, Optometrists and Opticians?
- Opticians are professionals that create eye-correcting contact lenses, eyeglasses, and ultraviolet ray-protecting glasses/sunglasses based on Ophthalmologists and Optometrist prescriptions.
- Optometrists are doctors who diagnose and treat patients with eye illnesses, surgeries, and overall eye care. They are certified by the Optometry Council of India (OCI) as doctors who do diagnosis and treatment of patients with eye diseases, surgeries, and total eye care.
Bachelor of Optometry Specializations
The Bachelor of Optometry degree is a specialty in the field of visual health and eye care in and of itself. Following that, the profession concentrates on routine vision care, including eye contact and prescription glasses, among other things. However, because eye health is a broad subject with many interconnections, the following specialties are occasionally available:
- Optometry: A specialized study in optometry includes learning how to perform eye examinations, interpret and prescribe corrective eye lenses, diagnose and cure problems, and so on.
- Operation Theatre Technology: Students in this specialization learn how to manage and work in the operating room, including how to use surgical equipment, dress patients, and make other arrangements for an eye operation.
- Ophthalmic Technology: A specialist education in Ophthalmic Technology focuses on eye care especially. Eye examination, ocular illnesses, visual impairments, corrective surgery, optics, and other topics are covered in the curriculum.
Note: With a specialization course, the aspirant obtains specialized knowledge, which expands their future employment options.
Top Bachelor Of Optometry Entrance Exams
There isn’t a long list of entrance tests for bachelor’s degree programs in optometry that are held across India. Students look up to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), which holds an entrance test for admission to the B. Optom program. Following that, a merit list is created based on the score attained in the admission exam and compliance with the remaining qualifying conditions. Following that, admissions are awarded based on counseling. Some institutes may offer admission to Bachelor of Optometry programs by administering a specialized entrance test. There are a few additional institutions that provide merit-based admissions. The following are the key entry tests for the B. Optometry program:
- AIIMS Entrance Exam
- BVP EYELET (for Bharati Vidya Peeth)
- GCET (Goa Common Entrance Test)
Bachelor of Optometry Admission Process
The admission process for a Bachelor of Optometry differs based on the college and country. Here is a basic application process that is followed by most universities:
- Step 1: Explore different universities and courses based on your preference and apply online.
- Step 2: Log in to the official websites, fill out the details and pay the prescribed fees. Submit the required documents and check the eligibility.
- Step 3: Give the required entrance exams, upload the scores and submit the university application.
- Step 4: Check the university page for updates and wait for the offer letter or cut-off in the case of Indian colleges.
Bachelor of Optometry Syllabus
The Bachelor of Optometry degree is extensive, with a program that balances theoretical and practical knowledge so that students benefit in both directions. The following are some of the subjects that are generally covered in a Bachelor of Optometry program:
|Human Anatomy & Physiology including||Refraction (including prescription, making & fitting of glasses)||Mechanical Optics|
|Physical & Geometrical Optics||Community Ophthalmology & Eye Bank||Basic and Advanced Ophthalmic Instrumentation & Photography|
|General & Ocular Pharmacology including Pharmacy||Investigations in Clinical Ophthalmology and Management of OT||Environment & Ecology|
|Ophthalmic Instruments and Appliances||Refraction and Contact Lenses||Computer Fundamentals & Programming|
|Visual Optics||Instrumentation & Procedure II||Ocular Disease I (Anterior Segment Disease)|
|Ophthalmic & Optical||Clinical Refraction||Ophthalmic Lens & Dispensing Optics|
|Ocular Anatomy & Physiology||Investigative Ophthalmology||Community Ophthalmology|
|Ocular Pathology & Microbiology||Clinical & Advanced Optics & Orthoptics||Pediatric Ophthalmology & Orthoptics|
|General & Ocular Biochemistry||Clinical & Advanced Refraction and Contact lenses||Ophthalmic Theater Techniques|
All You Need To Know About Science Stream Subjects
Bachelor Of Optometry Recommended Books
If you are interested in obtaining a B Optometry degree, there are a few books that you should study. These are books that come highly recommended.
|Clinical Optics||Troy Fenin|
|Physical and Geometric Optics||Micheal Keating|
|Ocular Diseases||Kanski and Parsons|
|The Wills Eye Manual||Nika Bagheri|
|Vision For Life||Meir Schneider|
Bachelor of Optometry vs. Bachelor of Science in Optometry
The most common bachelor’s degree programs in the area of optometry are Bachelor of Optometry and Bachelor of Science in Optometry. While a Bachelor of Science in Optometry is more of a theoretical study of the discipline, a Bachelor of Optometry is more of professional training. The table below shows the significant differences between these two courses:
|Parameters||B Optometry||BSc in Optometry|
|Full-Form||Bachelor in Optometry||Bachelor of Science in Optometry|
|Course Overview||It’s a bachelor’s degree that will offer you a thorough grasp of how the eyes operate and how to treat them when they get infected.||It’s an undergraduate degree that provides students with paramedical training, allowing them to have a thorough grasp of machines and eyes.|
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2 with a minimum of 50% in the science stream||10+2 with a minimum of 50% marks in PCBM|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 3 to 6 lakhs||INR 3 to 8 lakhs|
Bachelor of Optometry Eligibility Criteria
For any academic program, one needs to accomplish certain prerequisites set by the specific institution. Here is a list of general eligibility conditions that you must qualify to apply for a Bachelor of Optometry:
- The candidate must have completed their senior higher secondary education (10+2) in the Science stream with Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and/or Mathematics from a recognized board with a good percentage.
- English language proficiency test scores such as IELTS/PTE/TOEFL are also required.
- SAT or ACT scores are to be submitted as subject proficiency tests to apply for Bachelor of Optometry courses.
- OAT (Optometry Admission Test) scores are also needed to qualify for this undergraduate degree in universities and colleges situated in the USA and Canada.
- If aspirants are planning to pursue a Bachelor of Optometry course in India, they are entitled to give entrance exams like NEET, AIIMS, CMC, BVP EYELET, GCET, and more.
Popular Colleges Abroad for Bachelor of Optometry
There is a wide range of academic institutions across the globe that offer Bachelor of Optometry and its equivalent degrees like BSc Optometry. Take a look at the following list which elucidates the top universities and colleges providing this course to students around the world:
|University College London||UK|
|University of Manchester||UK|
|Anglia Ruskin University||UK|
|University of London||UK|
|University of New South Wales||Australia|
|Hong Kong Polytechnic University||Hong Kong|
|The University of Auckland||New Zealand|
|MCPHS University||United States|
Bachelor of Optometry Colleges in India
Aside from foreign universities, several of India’s leading medical institutes and technical universities offer Bachelor of Optometry programs to aspiring optometrists. We’ve included a few of them below.
- All India Institute of Medical Science
- Sharda University
- Ansal University
- ITM University
- NSHM Knowledge Campus
- Institute Management Studies
- George Group of Colleges
- Christian Medical College
- Manipal Academy of Higher Education (Kasturba Medical College)
- Shri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education
- SRM Institute of Technology
- Chitrakara University
Thinking of studying abroad? But don’t know which universities & courses are best-fit for you! Try our AI-powered Course Finder that will help you save hours of research!
Future Scope of Bachelor of Optometry
When it comes to knowing the scope of a Bachelor of Optometry in India and overseas, one can choose to work or continue their study with master’s and doctoral degrees. The students and aspirants who wish to pursue higher studies in this field can opt for the, following courses:
- Master of Optometry
- Masters in Science in Optometry
- Ph.D. Optometry
- MPhil in Optometry
Those who do not intend to continue their education or who choose to put the choice on hold, for the time being, can begin private practice as an optometrist or work as assistants in government or private hospitals’ eye specialist wards, where their experience will contribute to their qualifications. Other industries manufacture optical products and require professionals for quality testing and machine inspections, among other things.
Know more about High Salary Courses After 12th Science
Job Prospects and Salary for Bachelor of Optometry
Optometry is a challenging and dynamic healthcare profession that involves vision measurement, prescribing, and fitting lenses to detect, and treat various eye diseases and vision-related issues. Just like any other field of allied health sciences, those who have completed a bachelor of optometry can be employed in the following job prospects:
|Job Position||Annual Salary in INR|
|Optometrist||INR 3 to 3.5 lakhs|
|Optometry Researcher||INR 4 to 5 lakhs|
|Ophthalmologist||INR 5 to 6 lakhs|
|Optician||INR 3 to 4 lakhs|
|Vision Consultant||INR 2.5 to 3.5 lakhs|
|Senior Optometrist||INR 4 to 6 lakhs|
B.Optom, or Bachelor of Optometry, is an undergraduate degree program that focuses on eye and vision care. Generally offered as a 3-4 years long undergraduate program, the Bachelor of Optometry course equips students with a varied understanding of examination, diagnosis, and management of disorders and diseases of the visual system.
All India Institute of Medical Science
NSHM Knowledge Campus
Institute Management Studies
George Group of Colleges
Christian Medical College
Manipal Academy of Higher Education (Kasturba Medical College)
Shri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education
SRM Institute of Technology
The candidate must have completed their senior higher secondary education (10+2) in the Science stream with Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and/or Mathematics from a recognized board with a good percentage.
English language proficiency test scores such as IELTS/PTE/TOEFL are also required.
SAT or ACT scores are to be submitted as subject proficiency tests to apply for Bachelor of Optometry courses.
OAT (Optometry Admission Test) scores are also needed to qualify for this undergraduate degree in universities and colleges situated in the USA and Canada.
If aspirants are planning to pursue a Bachelor of Optometry course in India, they are entitled to give entrance exams like NEET, AIIMS, CMC, BVP EYELET, GCET, and more.
Step 1: Explore different universities and courses based on your preference and apply online.
Step 2: Log in to the official website, fill out the details and pay the prescribed fees. Submit the required documents and check the eligibility.
Step 3: Give the required entrance exams, upload the scores and submit the university application.
Step 4: Check the university page for updates and wait for the offer letter or cut-off in the case of Indian colleges.
Hence, we hope that this blog has provided you with a better understanding of the many aspects of a Bachelor of Optometry degree. If you want to pursue this degree but don’t know where to start, call us at 1800572000 to schedule a free career counseling session with one of our Leverage Edu experts. We’ll walk you through the process of finding the right university for this program that will provide you with the necessary knowledge and experience to launch a successful career in optometry.
I want addmission in mgm collage of optometry in Aurangabad
I want addmission in mgm collage of optometry in Aurangabad
Reach us at 1800 57 2000 and we will help you will all the admission related queries.