Medicine is the most prominent and prestigious career in the world. There are many world-leading institutions in the world and countries that offer medical, nursing and public health courses but the one country that stands out is Australia. Australia is one of the best countries in the world to study medicine because of its high-class infrastructure, best faculty members and machinery to facilitate learning as well as low tuition fees. In this blog, let’s explore the top medical colleges in Australia, their requirements and why you should study in Australia!.
This Blog Includes:
- Popular Medical Courses in Australia
- Top Medical Colleges in Australia: Rankings 2021
- Eligibility Criteria for International Students
Popular Medical Courses in Australia
Here are some of the popular Medical courses offered across top Medical colleges in Australia:
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS): The traditional medicine course that is pursued by every student who aspires to be a professional doctor, MBBS is an undergraduate course offered across many to Medical colleges in Australia, generally for a span of 6 years. MBBS in Australia is followed by specialised education in various medical fields.
- Doctor of Medicine: This degree is known to be the highest professional degree for Medical students. The M.D program spans around 4 years, with a different course curriculum in almost every University. This course is a primary component of top Medical colleges in Australia as it is the best pathway towards professional doctoral practice.
- Nursing Courses: Nursing courses are offered by various top Medical colleges in Australia at all academic levels, with various specializations at the postgraduate level. These courses make students adept at Midwifery, Operation and Surgery Nursing, Child Healthcare.
- Public Health Courses: Public health courses are designed to teach students the prevention of wide spreading diseases, taking appropriate actions towards the benefit of society. They play a special role in ensuring the availability of good quality healthcare to all sections of society.
- Postgraduate Research Courses: For students who wish to pursue their scholarly endeavours, postgraduate research courses are the way forward with career. They are well-versed and contribute to the existing medical literature.
Top Medical Colleges in Australia: Rankings 2021
Here are some of the leading universities in the pacific nation which have etched their names in the list of top Medical colleges in Australia:
|University||QS Rankings||THE Rankings|
|The University of Melbourne||41||31|
|The University of Sydney||40||51|
|The University of New South Wales||44||67|
|The University of Queensland||46||62|
|The Australian National University||31||59|
|The University of Adelaide||106||118|
|The University of Western Australia||92||139|
|The University of Newcastle||152||251-300|
|Griffith University||303||201 -250|
|James Cook University||251-300||201-250|
|Western Sydney University||251-300||251-300|
The University of Melbourne
Established in 1853, this leading University attracts students from over 200 countries, offering scholarships and grants to eligible students The University records its most postgraduate enrolments under Faculty of Medicine, which is further divided into the following departments:
- Melbourne Medical School
- Melbourne Dental School
- Melbourne School of Health Sciences
- School of Biomedical Sciences
- Melbourne School of Psychological Sciences
- Melbourne School of Population and Global Health
The University offers only a few undergraduate courses like Bachelor of Medical Science, while it is widely known for masters studies. Courses like Doctor of Medicine, Master of Clinical Research, Master of Surgical Science and Master of Surgery are popular among prospective medical students thus making it one of the most sought after and top Medical colleges in Australia.
The University of Sydney
The University of Sydney is known for its different and novel education. The Sydney Medical School is considered as one of the top Medical colleges in Australia.The University also has other Medical Schools under its wing, which include School of Medical Sciences and Sydney School of Public Health. The curriculum is designed for graduate students, offering majors in medical domains like Anesthesia, Psychiatry, General Practice and Surgery. The M.D program is coupled with proper training to make students industry-ready. Bachelor of Pharmacy and Management, Master of Bioethics, Graduate Certificate of Surgery are some other programs to consider.
Not only is it one of the largest academic institutes across Australia and a part of the group eight universities, but Monash University is counted amongst the top Medical colleges in Australia too. It offers a direct entry medical program to 12th class graduates which the students have to couple with the AMSAT exam to be eligible for prominent courses like Bachelor of Health Sciences and Bachelor of Public Health. Although, students prefer to further continue their studies after graduation with some courses like:
- Master of Medicine
- Master of Public Health
- Master of Clinical Medicine
- Master of Advanced Nursing
The University is also known for its Engineering and Management courses, along with ample greenery, sports and leisure activities and a well-equipped gymnasium.
The University of New South Wales
Another noted mention in the top Medical colleges in Australia is the University of New South Wales. It has a dedicated Medical faculty, spreading across many hospitals and schools. Possessing one of the world’s top 50 Medical Faculties, UNSW offers practice-centric medical courses, some of which are- Bachelor of Science(Medicine)Hons., Bachelor of Medical Studies, Doctor of Health and Master of Health Management. In case students wish to explore vocational studies, Graduate Diploma in Public Health is one of the most popular among them. Although, there are many graduate certificates available after completing the bachelors course.
The University of Queensland
The University of Queensland Is a research University located in Brisbane, Australia. Its Faculty of Medicine is one of the best trained and developed top medical colleges in Australia, offering a special 2-phased Medicine Program to students. The first phase comprises year 1 and year 2 of the 4-year M.D program, teaching all students the basic fundamentals of Medicine. The next two years provide specialised education as per the student’s choice, making them ready for professional specialization. Bachelor of Midwifery, Bachelor of Biomedical Science, etc are some of the courses to consider.
The Australian National University
The Australian National University is one of the leading and top medical colleges in Australia, known for its affordable and standardised education. Although most top colleges in Australia focus on higher-level education, The Australian National University offers pathways programs that provide students with a fundamental education in Medicine, developing their foundation. Students can choose to pursue a professional course like Bachelor of Health Science, or they can also begin their research career with a Bachelor of Philosophy. The most prominent medical course, however, is a Doctor of Medicine and Surgery.
The University of Adelaide
The University of Adelaide, established in 1874 boasts its Medical School as the largest school in the University. The University has diverse Medical courses at all academic levels, MBBS being the pathway of entry in Mainstream medical courses, some popular ones being Master of Public Health and Master of Surgery. Other than that, there are Bachelor of Nursing, Master of Nursing Science to give advanced nursing training to students. Also, students can choose to pursue an M.Phil for research in Surgery, Clinical Science, Medical Science and other specialised domains.
Eligibility Criteria for International Students
Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
- English Language Proficiency ( Minimum score 7 in IELTS )
- Completion of Higher Secondary Education from a recognized board
- Minimum Age – 17 years
- Undergraduate Medicine and Health Sciences Admission Test (UMAT)
- English Language Proficiency (often high levels of proficiency is expected)
- Bachelor’s Degree
- GAMSAT (Graduate Admission Medical School Australian Test) score or MCAT (Medical College Admission Test) score.
This concludes the information about top Medical Colleges in Australia. There are hundreds of Medical courses available to study in Australia across numerous medical schools and colleges. To know more about such courses, connect with us at Leverage Edu. We have expert career guides who can help you select the course and college combination that is best suited for you. Not just that, we also have a host of specialised test prep modules and interactive online classes that will make your selection process a breeze. To begin on your journey to success, book a free e-meeting today!