The Bachelor of Education (BEd) is a 3 to 4-year professional degree program which aims at enhancing competencies and skills required by a teacher through on-campus and field learning. The well-structured and diverse BEd Syllabus builds a strong foundation in areas like Primary Learning, Adult Education, Child Development and Pedagogy, Special Education, and creating gender-inclusive classrooms. Those who wish to build a career in the field of Teaching can pursue an MEd/MAin Education or enrol in some Special Education courses after graduation. With the advent of new-age technologies like internet-based learning and online classroom programs, conventional teaching and learning techniques have evolved. Thus, to adapt to the changes, the BEd syllabus has been redesigned and moulded as per the current scenarios. Through this blog, we will familiarise you with the specialization courses in Education, the BEd syllabus, what it entails, and what can you expect from the course.
This Blog Includes:
- Why Pursue Specialisation Courses in Education?
- Subjects Covered in BEd Syllabus
- Other Topics Covered in BEd Syllabus
- Practical Sessions
- BEd First Year Syllabus
- BEd Second Year Syllabus
- BEd Eligibility
- BEd Entrance Exams
- BEd Entrance Exam Syllabus
- BEd Syllabus Important Books
- Jobs Prospects after BEd
Related Read: Bachelor of Physical Education
Why Pursue Specialisation Courses in Education?
The BEd syllabus is divided broadly into classroom courses and practical learning. While the former focuses on providing a comprehensive understanding of important concepts related to Education, Teaching, Pedagogy, and Curriculum, the latter offers students an opportunity to specialize in a particular field of interest. These specializations when complemented with research projects and practical or school training help an individual groom into a quality professional who has a stronghold on technical concepts and an overarching understanding of education. Given below are some of the specialization courses offered at universities.
- Primary Education
- Student Psychology and Counseling
- Special Education
- Technical and Vocational Education
- Adult Education
- Early Child Education and Development
- Elementary Education
Subjects Covered in BEd Syllabus
Have you ever thought about how many subjects are there in BEd? Or what is taught in BEd? The BEd syllabus is premised on three fundamentals, perspectives in education; pedagogic Studies; and field practicum. Apart from primary and adult learning, the BEd Syllabus incorporates and imparts knowledge in historical and philosophical background, environmental education, child psychology, and value education. To promote development on a holistic level, the BEd syllabus also mandates school engagement or internships throughout the course. Below is a breakdown of a few of the important subjects covered throughout the course.
BEd Syllabus: Childhood and Growing Up
- Learning as a Developing Individual
- Development and Learning;
- Understanding Childhood in Socio-Cultural Perspectives;
- Adolescence: Issues and Concerns;
- Stages of Child Development; Implications for Teachers
BEd Syllabus: Language Across Curriculum
- Language Background of students
- Nature of Classroom Discourse
- Informational Reading and Writing
BEd Syllabus: Understanding ICT and Applications
- Introduction to Information and Communication Technology
- ICT and Pedagogy
- ICT for Assessment and Management
- Primary School Engagement
- Pedagogy of School Subjects like English, Mathematics, Science, Social Science, etc.
BEd Syllabus: Learning and Teaching
- Understanding the Learner
- Understanding Learning
- Learning from a Constructivist Perspective
- Understanding Teaching
- Teaching as a Profession
- Pedagogy of School Subjects like English, Mathematics, Physical Science, etc.
BEd Syllabus: Knowledge and Curriculum:
- Forms of Knowledge and its Organization in Schools
- Curriculum Determinants and Considerations
- Curriculum Development at School Level
- Curriculum Implementation and Renewal
BEd Syllabus: Assessment for Learning
- Overview of Assessment and Evaluation
- Context of Assessment
- The Procedure of Assessment
- Data Analysis, Feedback, and Reporting
- Issues and Directions Regarding Examination Reforms
Other Topics Covered in BEd Syllabus
- Gender, School and Society: Gender Issues; Creating Gender-inclusive Classrooms.
- Arts in Education: Visual Arts and Crafts, Performing Arts, etc.
- Introduction to Understanding the Self: Professional Self and Ethics, Role of Teacher in Development, etc.
- Creating an Inclusive School: Understanding Inclusion in Education, Understanding Diversity, Addressing Learner’s Diversity.
- Reading and Reflecting on Texts
- Health, Yoga and Physical Education
- Practical: Primary School Engagement
- Practical: Community Living Camp
- Field Engagement
BEd First Year Syllabus
Here are the topics covered in the BEd first-year programme in India-
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Childhood And Growing Up||Assessment for Learning|
|Critical Understanding of ICT||Creating An Inclusive School|
|Department of Elective 1||Department of Elective 3|
|Department of Elective 2||Department of Elective 4|
|Drama And Art In Education||Department of Elective 5|
|Gender School And Society||Department of Elective 6|
|Learning And Teaching||Internship|
|Learning And Teaching- Practical||Language Across the curriculum|
BEd Second Year Syllabus
Topics covered in the second year of the BEd programme in India are listed below-
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Department of Elective 5||Contemporary India And Education|
|Department of Elective 6||Current Affairs|
|Learning Resource Project||Department of Elective 7|
|Service Learning||Knowledge And Curriculum|
|Field Internship||Reasoning Ability|
|–||Understanding Disciplines And Subjects|
|–||Understanding the Self|
|–||Workshop on Life Skills|
|–||Workshop on School Management|
- All candidates must have completed their graduation in any stream ( Arts, Science or Commerce) in order to be eligible for B.Ed admissions. The minimum marks requirement for the courses is 50 to 55% in bachelors level.
- Candidates who belong to arts/commerce/science can choose their specialisation based on their bachelor programmes.
- For B.Ed admissions in a majority of colleges, there is no age bar.
BEd Entrance Exams
Here are the important BEd entrance exams that all students should appear for to take admission in BEd courses-
|Indira Gandhi National Open University [IGNOU] BEd Entrance Test|
|Delhi University [DU] BEd Entrance Test|
|Jamia Millia Islamia [JMI] BEd Entrance Test|
|Banaras Hindu University [BHU] BEd Entrance Test|
|Tata Institute of Social Sciences [TISS] BEd-MEd Entrance Test|
|St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata BEd Admission|
|Central Universities Common Entrance Test (CUCET)|
|Calcutta University [CU] BEd Entrance Test|
BEd Entrance Exam Syllabus
BEd admissions are based on both merit and entrance examinations. The BEd entrance test syllabus is the same for all BEd entrance exams. The following are the essential portions that must be covered in order to achieve good results in the BEd entrance exams:
- General Knowledge
- Verbal Aptitude
- Teaching Aptitude
- Logical Reasoning
- Quantitative Aptitude
Let’s look at the BEd syllabus for entrance exams in the following table:
|Main Section||Important Topics|
Paragraph Based Puzzles
Bar, Pie and Line chart Data Interpretations
|Teaching Aptitude||Nature, Objective, Characteristics and Basic Requirements of Teaching
Factors Affecting Teaching
Methods of Teaching
|Logical Reasoning||Series Completion
Substitution and Interchanging
Tests of Alphabet
Principle of Classification
Ratio & Proportion
Profit & Loss
BEd Syllabus Important Books
Here are some popular BEd books that are required during the course of the period and also for the preparation of entrance exams:
|Russel, J.(2004), Teaching of Mathematics, Campus Book International||Buy Here|
|Agarwal, J.C.: Essentials of Educational Technology||Buy Here|
|Oad. L.K.: Shiksha K; Darshanik Evam Samaj Shastriya Pristhabhoomi||Buy Here|
|Misra, K.S.: Shiksha Manovigyan Ke Naye Kshitij||Buy Here|
|Pandey R.S.: Shiksha Darshan||Buy Here|
|Hurlock E.P.: Child Development.||Buy Here|
|Ruhela S.P.: Shiksha ka Samajshastra||Buy Here|
Jobs Prospects after BEd
Moving on from the BEd Syllabus, let’s explore the job opportunities after BEd. A BEd is a gateway to teaching at the school level in India. Candidates who possess BEd degrees are qualified to teach as Post Graduate Teacher (PGT) or Trained Graduate Teacher (TGT). A BEd is also a gateway to further education like pursuing an MEd or Masters/PhD in your area of specialisation. All those who have finished their programmes can find employment in both the private and public sectors as educators and teachers. Here are some job profiles that BEd graduates can explore-
- Trained Graduate Teacher
- Post Graduate Teacher
- Content Writer
- Private Tutor
- Educational Counsellor
- School Administrator
Yes, there are several well-known colleges that have entrance tests for admittance to BEd programmes. It covers the DU BEd entrance test, the RIE CEE, the IPU CET, the BHU UET, the IGNOU BEd entrance exam, and the BEET.
The salary of a BEd instructor varies according to experience. A BEd teacher may earn up to INR 3 lakhs per year on average.
The primary goal of the BEd Syllabus is to engage student-teachers in acquiring required competencies for arranging learning experiences and building an awareness of paradigm shift in conceiving disciplinary knowledge in school or college curricula.
Yes, B.Ed distance education is valid when done from a recognized university.
Candidates having both a bachelor’s and a master’s degree in a relevant subject of study are qualified for the B. Ed programme offered by a number of reputable institutions/universities.
Thus, the BEd syllabus covers all areas pertinent to a child’s overall growth and development. Finding the right specialization course is instrumental in building a successful career in education. To pursue a career in education, one must carefully review and assess the different programs on offer. Take the help of Leverage Edu‘s AI tool to browse through a plethora of courses and universities and find the right combination that suits your interests and career aspirations.