Teaching is known as a noble profession as one is given a significant responsibility to shape a child’s career as well as personality. While every child is considered to be unique, those with special needs require the utmost attention and care. That’s why there is always a continuous requirement of proficient teachers who have gained expertise in helping students with disabilities and disorders that a regular teacher might not be able to take care of. Amongst the prominent of special education courses, one can pursue a degree or diploma at any level to delve deeper into this field. Through this blog, we are bringing a comprehensive guide on BEd in Special Education, its structure, syllabus, top universities as well as career scope.
This Blog Includes:
- What is BEd Special Education?
- Who Should Opt for a BEd in Special Education?
- B.Ed. in Special Education Syllabus
- Top Universities for BEd in Special Education in India & Abroad
- BEd Special Education Colleges in India
- Eligibility Criteria
- What is the Difference between BEd and BEd Special Education?
- How can you Effectively Teach Children With Special Needs?
- BEd Special Education IGNOU and Distance Learning
- B.Ed. in Special Education Jobs
- BEd in Special Education DU
- BEd Special Education DU Entrance Exam Syllabus
- BEd in Special Education Mumbai Colleges
- BEd in Special Education Kerala Colleges
- BEd in Special Education Delhi Colleges
|Course Name||BEd Special Education|
|Duration||2 years (4 semesters)|
|Exam Type||Per Semester|
|Basic Eligibility||At least 50% marks in graduation from a recognised institute|
|Admission Process||Merit-Based and Entrance Exam|
|Starting Salary||INR 3,00,000to 5,00,000|
|Job Options||Teacher, Tutor, Counsellor, Administrator, Researcher, Assistant Dean, Content Writer, etc.|
What is BEd Special Education?
Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) is a renowned degree program pursued by those who want to start a career in teaching. Focusing on a particular specialization, a B.Ed. in Special Education is usually offered as a 2-year course divided into 4 semesters. It aims to equip budding educators with the knowledge of teaching those with special needs. This degree program prepares future teachers to educate the students with-
- Hearing or speech impairments
- Mental disabilities or retardation like ADHD, Autism, Dyslexia
- Visual impairment or differently-abled students
Since differently-abled students need a uniquely modulated teaching experience, studying a BEd in Special education will provide you with the knowledge of the application of
- Special instructional videos
- Learning-Teaching aids
- Proper one-on-one attention
Who Should Opt for a BEd in Special Education?
Since it is a specialised degree program that encompasses learning efficient ways to educate those with disabilities and special needs, a BEd in Special Education is an ideal program for those:
- Individuals who are willing to gain some insights about different areas of disabilities that are faced children of every age in the country.
- Individuals with a passion for helping the needy and disabled population and want to uplift the educational standards for the children who are differently-abled.
B.Ed. in Special Education Syllabus
Now that you know what a BEd in Special Education course is and what it aims to cover, take a look at the following syllabus included under this program:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Locomotive and multiple disabilities||Designing, adaptation and evaluation of Curriculum|
|Contemporary India and education||Inclusive education|
|Neurodevelopment disabilities||School subjects pedagogy 2 (English, Hindi)|
|Human growth and development||Teaching, learning and assessment|
|Sensory disabilities||School subjects pedagogy (Mathematics, Science, Social science)|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Visual and performing arts||Inclusive school creation|
|Reading and Reflection on test||Practical|
|Disabilities and Technology||Statistics and research|
|Teaching Strategies and methods||Skill-based optional course|
|Family issues and psychosocial||Skill-based optional course through|
Note: The above-mentioned list is just for indicative purposes and course offerings might vary from one university to another.
Top Universities for BEd in Special Education in India & Abroad
A multitude of academic institutions offer bachelor’s programs in Special Education to students across the globe. The following table elucidates some of the major institutes and universities in India as well as abroad that offer BEd in Special Education or its related programs:
Top BEd Special Education Colleges Abroad
- University of Derby
- Suffolk University
- University of East London
- Australian Catholic University
- Flinders University
- Cardiff Metropolitan University
- Torrens University
- Dublin City University
BEd Special Education Colleges in India
Below-mentioned are some of the colleges you can apply for in India-
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University (GGSIP), New Delhi
- Lady Shri Ram College for Women, Delhi
- Kasturi Ram College of Higher Education
- Mahatma Gandhi University
- Lovely Professional University
- Banaras Hindu University
- The ICFAI University, Dehradun
- Institute of Business Studies, Ch. Charan Singh University, Meerut
- Rehabilitation Council of India
- Amity University
- Sanskriti University
- Manav Rachna University
- MIER College of Education
Though the specific requirements for this graduate program can vary as per the university you have chosen, here is the minimum eligibility criteria that you must fulfil before applying for a B.Ed. in Special Education:
- You must have completed a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university. Courses like B.A., B.Sc, BCom, etc with a school subject at the graduation level are preferred.
- A minimum of 50% in the graduation that is, in 10+2+3.
Note: Most universities conduct entrance examinations for the B.Ed. in Special Education program so you are advised to check the eligibility criteria properly before applying for this course.
What is the Difference between BEd and BEd Special Education?
The BEd is an umbrella course under which BEd in special education is a specialization that one can pursue. During the journey of the BEd course, you will be taught the skills which will help you get hold of teaching students of various classes. On the other hand, BEd in special education course is exclusively focused towards enabling the candidates with skills that will help them in educating students with special needs. Apart from the common methods of teaching and pedagogy, students during the course of BEd in special education are familiarized with techniques and methods through which they can help dumb, deaf, blind and mentally retarded students.
How can you Effectively Teach Children With Special Needs?
Be it physical ailments or growth-related issues, children with special needs require extra attention and a soft approach to proceed in life. And thus, handling pertinent issues with calm and patience is required. In order to teach such children with precision, here are some points which you must adhere with:
- Use art and music therapy to teach.
- Break down information into smaller fragments to make the learning process easier.
- Use visual as well as audio teaching methods so that it benefits all types of special children.
- Allow children to experiment and formulate their own activities.
- Organise the classroom and keep distracting elements away.
- Formulate a schedule well in advance.
- Last but not least, be a good listener.
BEd Special Education IGNOU and Distance Learning
Seeking distance education for this course will help you gain knowledge related to this field if you cannot attend a full-time course. The average fee for pursuing BEd Special Education through distance learning or correspondence is around INR 10,000- 20,000. Across India, there are many universities that offer this course through correspondence. However, the Indra Gandhi National Open University is a popular option and majority of the students go for BEd in Special Education from IGNOU. Listed below are the colleges you can opt for-
- Dr B.R. Ambedkar Open University, Hyderabad
- Madhya Pradesh Bhoj Open University
- Netaji Subhas Open University, Kolkata
- North-Eastern Hill University, Shillong
- Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University
- Uttarakhand Open University
- Tamil Nadu Open University
- Indra Gandhi National Open University
B.Ed. in Special Education Jobs
The BEd. in Special Education degree holders will find a plethora of career opportunities especially in educational institutes, NGOs, private teaching institutes, news and media houses, government offices, hospitality and assistance, etc. Now, let’s take a look at the job positions that can be filled by individuals with a degree in BEd in Special Education:
Special Education Teachers
Not only will you be focusing on teaching those with special needs, but you will also be required to assess students’ social behaviour and development. Further, you will also be required to assist families of the disabled kids to keep them updated about the child’s condition, especially those who suffer from ailments like ADHD.
For special children, Pre-Primary/Primary school teachers employe Art, as well as music therapy, in order to teach the children. You can pursue primary teaching courses with a specialization in this field to have better skills and knowledge.
Content Writer and Developer
Content writers are the professionals who write content for the internet as prescribed by the organisations or NGOs working in the domain of special education. The content is formulated keeping in mind the needs and requirements of children who face difficulty in speaking, listening, or both.
News and Media Interpreter
News stations hire interpreters to convey news using sign languages for people with hearing disabilities. This is also done for the students with ADHD who have a hard time reading stuff whether through the newspaper or broadcast mediums. This is one of the most opted career paths after BEd in Special Education!
Career counsellors analyze the person’s abilities, education level, personality, skills, and interests into account and then counsel them regarding the future careers they can opt for. And when it comes to children with special needs, you can provide career guidance to them/parents in selecting a particular field as per child’s inclination.
Personal Helpers or Assistant
Some families of differently-abled individuals hire a personal helper or trainer for them so that the helper can assist the individual throughout their academic quests. This is also a popular path which you can consider.
BEd in Special Education DU
BEd Special Education DU Entrance Exam Syllabus
As stated in the above video, it is necessary to qualify the entrance exam for pursuing BEd in Special Education in DU, here is the syllabus for the entrance exam-
BEd in Special Education Mumbai Colleges
Here are the top colleges for BEd Special Education in Mumbai-
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai
- SNDT Women’s University
- Chembur Colony Yuwak Mandals Hashu Advani College
- National Institute For The Mentally Handicapped
- Bombay Teachers’ Training College
- Chembur Sarvankash Shikshan Shastra Mahavidyalaya
- National Institute for the Mentally Handicapped (NIMH), Navi Mumbai
- SNDT Women’s University, Pune
BEd in Special Education Kerala Colleges
Here are the top colleges for BEd Special Education in Kerala-
- Nirmala Sadan Training College for Special Education, Muvattupuzha
- St John of God College of Special Education, Kottayam
- Snehasadan College of Special Education, Angamaly
- KVM College of Special Education, Cherthala
- AWH College of Education, Calicut
BEd in Special Education Delhi Colleges
Here are the top colleges for BEd Special Education in Delhi-
- Manav Rachna University [MRU]
- Jamia Millia Islamia [JMI]
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University
- Lady Irwin College, University of Delhi
- Amity University, Noida
- SGT University, Gurgaon
- State Institute Of Rehabilitation Training and Research
BEd in Special Education is one of the best courses through which you can gain expertise and qualify as a teacher for the specially abled students. The course will equip you with various teaching techniques for the students with special needs.
Once you complete BEd in Special Education, you become entitled to pursue a full-time job as a teacher for students with special needs. Such professionals are often in high demand and are employed mainly by special schools and NGOs. Apart from this, you can go on for higher studies in this field.
BEd is a course that prepares you for pursuing teaching jobs for various classes. On the other hand, BED in special education is a specialized course that will equip you with exclusive pedagogy techniques required to teach student with special needs.
Hence, we hope that this blog has helped you comprehend what a BEd in Special Education entails. If you are planning to pursue a program in the field of education but don’t know which one to opt for, sign up for a free 30-minute career counselling session with our Leverage Edu experts and we will help you find the best combination of a course and university that fit your interests, skills and aspirations and equips you with the right knowledge and training to follow the path of an educator.