With our world realising the importance of a healthy lifestyle in ensuring the wellbeing of mind and body, Physical Education has emerged as a full-fledged field of study which was earlier seen as an unconventional career path. The sports and fitness industry has rapidly transformed and most of us are taking efficient steps to eat healthy and exercise regularly to maintain a healthy lifestyle. The field of Physical Education has become a highly rewarding career path and offers an immense number of specialisations you can choose from. A Bachelor of Physical Education or B.P.Ed is a commonly chosen undergraduate program for those wanting to explore this lucrative field. If you are searching for bachelor’s degree courses in this field, here is a comprehensive blog detailing the essential features of a Bachelor of Physical Education as well as top global universities offering this program across the globe.
|Duration of Study
This Blog Includes:
- Course Structure of Bachelor of Physical Education
- Eligibility Criteria
- B.P.Ed Entrance Exams
- Top International Universities Offering Bachelor of Physical Education
- Top Bachelor of Physical Education Colleges : India
- Careers and Job Prospects
- Courses After B.P.Ed
- Best Books for B.P.Ed
- B.P.Ed v/s B.A. in Physical Education
Course Structure of Bachelor of Physical Education
Before we get into the admission related details of the course, let us first quickly understand the course structure of the course-
- Generally offered as a 3 to 4-year degree in India as well as abroad, a Bachelor of Physical Education is optimally distributed between compulsory Physical Education subjects and modern-age topics or electives comprising the allied fields.
- During the final semester, universities traditionally require students to gain practical experience in an elementary or secondary school setting. Periodic research projects and on-field training are an important element of the course curriculum.
If you are looking to study abroad, colleges in Australia and USA are slightly ahead of others in the field of Physical Education. There are several international universities that offer specialised courses in Kinesiology which is the study of human movements.
During a Bachelor of Physical Education, instructors essentially focus on teaching a mix of the science behind Physical Education and the modern methods related to it. These modern methods include sports management, aerobics, specific sports-based studies, amongst others. The curriculum incorporates a variety of practical training and on-field sessions which help in cementing the theoretical knowledge of this field. Moreover, since it is more of a teaching program, basic teaching tools and techniques are also a crucial part of the curriculum. Topics like Yoga, Mental Wellness and Spiritual Education are also included in this program. A few important subjects that are commonly found in the syllabus of a bachelor’s degree course in Physical Education are:
- Basic Anatomy and Physiology
- Health Education and Yoga
- Methods of Physical Education
- History and foundation of Physical Education
- Sports Psychology
- Games-based Education
- Sports Journalism
- Sports Management
- Sports and Nutrition
- Communication Skills
- Computer Training
Note: The above subjects are just for indicative purposes. Actual offerings may differ.
In order to attain overseas education for this course, the first step would be checking the eligibility criteria for the same. For all the students, we have devised a list for what all you have to keep in mind for bachelor of physical education-
- Minimum education of 10+2 from a recognized institution
- A good score in English language proficiency tests like IELTS, TOEFL, etc
- LOR and SOP in the prescribed format
B.P.Ed Entrance Exams
We have listed some of the popular university level entrance exams conducted for Bachelor of Physical Education:
|Mode of Exam
|January – March
|January – April
|Offline And Online
|Dibrugarh University Entrance Exam
|May – July
Top International Universities Offering Bachelor of Physical Education
There are various universities and colleges around the world that offer specialised and high-rated courses in this field. We have listed down the best options you can browse through for pursuing a Bachelor of Physical Education:
|Syracuse University, USA
|Bachelor of Science in Health and Physical Education
|University of Birmingham, UK
|Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Sport, Physical Education and Coaching Science
|Oklahoma State University, USA
|Bachelor of Science in Physical Education
|University of Sydney, Australia
|Bachelor of Education (Health and Physical Education)
|University of Queensland, Australia
|Bachelor of Health, Sport and Physical Education
|Rice University, USA
|Bachelor of Arts in Kinesiology (Concentrations: Health Science & Sports Medicine)
Top Bachelor of Physical Education Colleges : India
Students who wish to pursue B.P.Ed in India must be well aware of the top colleges offering B.P.Ed courses in India. We have listed the top colleges offering Bachelor of Physical Education in India :
- Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Chaudhary Charan Singh University, Meerut
- Amity University, Noida
- University of Lucknow, Lucknow
- Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
- Chandigarh University, Chandigarh
- Lakshmibai National College of Physical Education
- Indira Gandhi Institute of Physical Education and Sports Sciences
- Amity School of Physical Education and Sports Sciences
- BPCA’s College of Physical Education
- Chandrashekhar Agashe College of Physical Education
- VNS College of Physical Education and Management Studies
- Jyotiba College of Physical Education
- Ishwar Deshmukh College of Physical Education
- University College of Physical Education, Bangalore University
Careers and Job Prospects
A Bachelor in Physical Education opens countless gateways to a fulfilling career path. As a graduate, you can choose to work in training academies, fitness centres, gyms, universities and even in research organisations. Further, with a few years of experience, individuals may opt for job prospects in sports teams, Broadcasting, Journalism, Rehabilitation and Sports Psychology. Altogether, considering the rising awareness towards sports and fitness, the popularity of a career in physical education is only going to increase by leaps and bounds in the coming decades. Here is a list of several career opportunities you can explore in the field of Physical Education:
- Group Exercise Instructor
- Athletic Trainer
- Personal Trainer
- Physical Education Teacher
- Exercise Physiologist
- Strength and Conditioning Coach
- Rehabilitation Specialist
- Sports Nutritionist
- Employee Fitness Director
- Physical Therapist
- Sports Journalist
- Teacher/ Coach/Instructor
- Sports Journalist
- Yoga Trainer
- Sports Club Manager
- Sports Photojournalist
Courses After B.P.Ed
Candidates can also go for higher studies apart from seeking employment. We have listed some of the courses a candidate may opt for :
- M.P.Ed: Itis a 2-year post-graduation degree program offered by a number of colleges and universities on the basis of entrance exam scores. The average fee of this course varies from INR 10,000 to INR 2 Lakhs per annum.
- M.Phil (Physical Education): Master of Philosophy in Physical Education discipline is a 1-2 year course. Candidates must hold a master’s degree in physical education from a recognized board or university.
Best Books for B.P.Ed
We have listed below few books, that students might refer to during the tenure of their course:
- Sports Management – Buy here
- Sports nutrition and weight management
- Yoga Education – Buy here
- Officiating and Coaching – Buy here
B.P.Ed v/s B.A. in Physical Education
|B.A. in Physical Education
|In B.P.Ed students can choose and extensively learn about a particular sport of their choice.
|In B.A n Physical Education, students are taught about the theoretical aspects of physical education.
|Top job profiles are – instructor, teacher, coach, fitness in charge etc. The average salary is 3.7 Lacs PA.
|Top job profiles are – Athletic Trainer, Sports Coach, Nutrition Specialist, Personal Trainer, Recreation Centre Director,etc. The average salary is 4 -10 Lacs PA.
|Average annual course fees range from INR 6,500 to INR 51,000
|Average annual course fees range from INR 2,000 to 5 Lacs
The duration of a B.P.Ed course is 3 years.
B.P.Ed is an undergraduate degree in Physical Education that involves the study of the techniques useful for the maintenance of the human body.
Yes, you can pursue B.P.Ed after completing your XIIth.
The job opportunities are plenty and a candidate can choose to be a teacher, coach, referee, sportsman, personal trainer,etc.
A Bachelor of Physical Education program is frequently emerging as a popular course and several universities are now offering specialised courses in this field to help students explore the vast world of Physical Health and Education. You can take the help of the AI-based tool at Leverage Edu to explore a diverse range of courses offered in Physical Education and find the suitable combination of a program and university that matches your interests and career ambitions.