As per the National Association for the Education of Young Children, a kid goes through rapid development & growth before the age of 8 and this period is also known as early childhood. These years are found to be critical because in this duration a child’s developing brain gets moulded by events, education and skills into a developed brain. Nursery Teachers and Primary Teachers along with parents have a lot of input in this phase. To comprehend this early education, understanding Child Development and Pedagogy is equally important. Read on to our exclusive blog is going to tell you the importance of this field!
This Blog Includes:
- Why is Early Childhood Education Important?
- Questions to Ask Before Diving in the Early Child Education Curriculum
- How can I become an Early Childhood Teacher?
- Top Universities for Early Childhood Education
- Early Childhood Education- Career Prospects
Why is Early Childhood Education Important?
At the beginning, the initial teachers of a child are their parents. Kids learn and se the world around them as taugh by them.Parents teach them how to speak, how to feed themselves, how to walk, how to pronounce names and how to identify shapes and colors. For healthy development children need to be constantly stimulated by surrounding or by interacting with others. This is why Early Childhood Education is the most helpful. In the classrooms, children apply what their parents taught them at homes into a practical setting. Children have their first interactions with people outside of their family and with other kids of the same age. Children starting from the age of 2, get guided by the teachers. As a teacher of young children, you become somewhat the child’s surrogate parent. They are guided by the teacher in playing with others and forming friendships. Teachers teach them the early life-skills like sharing and respecting one another.
Questions to Ask Before Diving in the Early Child Education Curriculum
A course in Early Child Education can be demanding and challenging and thus not built for all. So one has to ask oneself some questions before diving in both feet. These are-
- Do I like children? This is a very crucial question because children under the age of 8 are most notorious and hell-raiser.
- Do I have the patience to carry out the same information multiple times? As these are the formative years of children, they grasp the knowledge a little later than what any kid between the age of 12-14 would. So, a little patience will go a long way.
- Am I creative and adaptive? To make the children understand the material but also have a little fun with it they must have the skills to be creative and also adaptive in situations. The first teacher making the Alphabet song to make the kids memorize it must have been the most creative teacher of that time, or maybe the only one. Other than that, there are block building exercises, fitting exercises, drawing, singing, dancing and so on. Because not a lot of material is required in this age. Also, one has to be adaptive because without taking sides, the teacher also has to act as a mediator. Other than that, the teacher may have to change her teaching style as per the kids’ needs.
How can I become an Early Childhood Teacher?
As these years are so crucial for a child that parents always decide the best for them and even the schooling system. Some of the schools ask for a degree in early childhood education and development and some schools don’t. They either choose a teaching professional or someone from NGOs.
Top Universities for Early Childhood Education
Let’s take a look at some of the universities offering the course worldwide:
|University of Georgia||BSEd in Early Child Education|
|Arizona State University||BA in Early Childhood Educational and Special Education|
|New York University||BS in Early Childhood education-Dual Degree|
|Florida Gulf University||B.A. in Early Childhood Education|
|Georgia Gwinnett College||B.S. in Early Childhood Education|
Early Childhood Education- Career Prospects
Explained below are some of the choicest career pathways for candidates willing to make a opt for this field:
Preschool is the child’s first learning environment. It is different from daycare as it is a formal environment. Here the children learn through toys, curiosity and imagination, sharing-caring and interacting with teachers in any way they can. It is also called pre-kindergarten and children are generally less than 4 years of age.
Kindergarten is then a little advanced than pre-k. It comes under state law and it is the beginning of the formal education to primary school and high school. Children in the ages of 5-7 come under kindergarten, though it is not compulsory for parents to send their kids here, it is highly advised. Here, the kids learn their early childhood education in a sombre manner, then an elementary school. It is considered early child education because the kids are under the age of 8. For example, if in preschool the kids learnt about numbers, in kindergarten, they would learn to add and subtract.[optin-monster-shortcode id=”xf2mlnjiouddzrshykdb”]
Some students are special and they require a little more personal attention than at the kindergarten or the preschools. There are lots of children there and sometimes it can become chaos. That’s when personal teachers are hired by the parents for their kids under the age of 8.
So, through this blog, we are sure you understood how crucial Early Childhood Education is and how demanding the field can be. There is something beautiful in teaching little kids and shaping their minds for the good. Register yourself today at Leverage Edu to know more and also to receive best career counselling from our mentors.