Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) is a leading open university in India. It offers distance learning courses along with regular classes at low-cost fees with no age limit. The university offers a wide range of PhD courses like Anthropology, Biochemistry, Computer Science, French, Psychology, and more. In this blog, we will cover courses, fees, application form, and entrance exams for studying PhD in IGNOU.
|Minimum Duration||3 years|
|Maximum Duration||5 years|
|Minimum Age||No Bar|
|Maximum Age||No Bar|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance Exam + Interview|
|Application Fees||INR 1000|
This Blog Includes:
Courses Offered in PhD Programme in IGNOU
PhD in IGNOU includes various courses. Let’s look at the following list of PhD courses in IGNOU:
- PhD in Anthropology
- PhD in Economics
- PhD in Library and Information Science
- PhD in Political Science
- PhD in Psychology
- PhD in Public Administration
- PhD in Sociology
- PhD in Biochemistry
- PhD in Chemistry
- PhD in Geography
- PhD in Geology
- PhD in Statistics
- PhD in Law
- PhD in Nursing
- PhD in Social Work
- PhD in Translation Studies
- PhD in Vocational Education and Training
- PhD in French
- PhD in Food and Nutritional Science
- PhD in Home Science
- PhD in Commerce
- PhD in Management
- PhD in Education
- PhD in Gender and Development Studies
- PhD in Journalism and Mass Communication
- PhD in Dairy Science and Technology
- PhD in Development Studies
- PhD in Computer Science
Also Read: PhD Scholarships in India
Eligibility Criteria for PhD in IGNOU
Candidates applying for the PhD course in IGNOU must go through the eligibility criteria to make sure they are eligible for giving the exam. The eligibility criteria for PhD Programme in IGNOU are as follows:
- It is mandatory for the candidates to have completed the post-graduation in the relevant discipline.
- It is mandatory to have secured a minimum of 55% in post-graduation for the unreserved category people, and a 5% relaxation is given to the reserved category candidates.
- Exemption: Those candidates who have completed MPhil, along with the course work, or have passed the NET (conducted by UGC/ CSIR/ ICAR) or any other equivalent exam will not have to appear for the IGNOU entrance exam for PhD in IGNOU.
Also Read: Integrated PhD
PhD IGNOU Entrance Test
The entrance tests are an essential part of IGNOU’s admission process. Aspiring candidates have to fill the application form and then sit for the entrance test for PhD in IGNOU. For this course, the entrance test is a written test with some of its key particulars given below:
|Name of exam||Indira Gandhi National Open University PhD Entrance Exam|
|Conducting Body||Indira Gandhi National Open University|
|Frequency||Twice a Year|
|IGNOU PhD Official website||https://ignouexams.nta.nic.in/|
Admission Process for IGNOU
To get admission in IGNOU, a candidate had to sit for an entrance exam conducted by IGNOU. Apart from the entrance exam, candidates also have to appear for an interview. At first, candidates have to fill out the application form; next, the shortlisted candidates have to sit for the entrance exam. Then, on the basis of the result or performance of the entrance test, the candidates are called for the interview round. Those who get selected for admission are sent an offer letter to officially join the University for a PhD course.
Must Read: PhD Entrance Exams
Candidates applying for PhD in IGNOU have to follow the following steps for filling application form:
- Visit the IGNOU Website.
- Register yourself on the website by using the new registration option.
- Choose the course and remember the course ID.
- Click on application to get the application form.
- Fill the form and pay the fees related to it.
- Upload the required documents on the website while registering.
- Click on the submit button to submit the form and your application will be accepted.
Also Read: Part-time PhD courses for Students
Fees and Registration Charges
The fees and registration charges for the application form are:
- For General category and OBC: Rs.1000/-
- For SC/ST/EWS: Rs.800/-
Jobs and Salary
After completing your PhD from IGNOU, you will get the best possible opportunities for jobs. You should know that a PhD degree from IGNOU holds a lot of value in India and abroad. The roles which most of the students get after completing PhD are given below:
- Business Development Executive (BDE) in Banking Sector
- Relationship Manager by TATA AIA Life Insurance Company Limited
- Site Visitor and Manager
- Human Resource Manager
- Associate Executive Sales
- Sales and Operations roles
- Management Trainee
Yes, IGNOU is a recognized University in India; hence it is not only valid in India but also throughout the world.
PhD from IGNOU is regular and full-time.
Candidates applying for the PhD Programme in IGNOU must have a master’s degree in a relevant discipline with a minimum of 55%. For reserved candidates, there is a 5% relaxation.
No, there is no negative markings.
Yes, it is recognized by UGC.
Yes, it is compulsory.
Must Read: Best Countries for Pursuing PhD Programmes
This was all about PhD courses in IGNOU! Planning to pursue a PhD abroad? Get in touch with a Leverage Edu expert today on 1800 572 000 and shortlist the best universities and courses based on your profile!