Planning about your higher studies? Confused about where to study at? If your answer is YES, then you are at the right place. To build a stable and bright future for ourselves, we always try to go for the best. Deciding what is the best for us can be hard. It gets difficult for students to decide and choose a relevant course and university as they are not aware of what’s right for them. Hence, students end up taking the wrong course. India has a wide range of study options for students but what makes New Zealand one of the most preferred study destinations for students? Read the whole blog to know why students aspire to study in New Zealand and not in India.
This Blog Includes:
Why Students choose to Study in New Zealand and not in India?
Here are some of the crucial aspects of New Zealand that makes it one of the favourite study abroad destination for international students.
- One of the most obvious reasons why students in India choose to go abroad for their higher studies is Employment. India has employment issues probably because of the population size, lack of capital and less amount of resources. Countries like New Zealand have an employment rate of 76.8% while India has an employment rate of 34.7%. Because of the limited population, demand for skilled professionals is high and students are immediately offered a job after the completion of the course. Also, salary expectations in New Zealand are much higher than that in India while having the same degree.
- Quality Education is a major factor that contributes to it. The lack of practicality in courses offered in India is the reason why graduates lack professional skills. While in New Zealand courses are offered with professional aspects to provide students with a relevant practical experience. Not only practicality but flexibility in the courses offered abroad is one of the reasons why students choose to study abroad. Students can earn while studying on a student Visa in countries like New Zealand while in India there is no scope of earning while studying, either you can study or you can work. The pressure of studying is much higher in India as compared to other countries such as New Zealand.
- Countries like the US do not accept a 3 year bachelor’s degree from India while a degree from New Zealand is recognised internationally. Indian Universities do not hold any rank among the Top 100 while University of Auckland, New Zealand is ranked #85 by the QS World University Rankings 2022.
- New Zealand is known for its high standards of living, friendly people, and world-class education. Apart from these factors, New Zealand is also one of the safest countries to live in. No wonder why New Zealand is among the most preferred study destinations for international students.
Also Read: Culture Shocks in New Zealand
Analysation of why Study in New Zealand and not in India
Let’s compare some of the main particulars of both countries and analyse why New Zealand has become a better option than India when it comes to higher education.
Top Courses in India
Here are some of the most popular top courses in India that students aspire to pursue as their higher education degrees.
6. Hospitality (Hotel) – Hotel Management
8. Finance –B.Com/CA
10. Law BA LLB/LLB
14. Fine Arts B.F.A
Also Read: Requirements To Study In New Zealand
Top Courses in New Zealand
Choosing the best course for you can be a daunting task but it gets a lot easier when you are aware of the popularity of the course in the respective countries. Here we’ve mentioned the top fields of study and popular courses in New Zealand for Indian students:
Field of Study
- Business Studies
- Engineering Forestry
- IT and Computer Science
- Art and design
- Business management
- Health care
- Sports management
Also Read: MIM in New Zealand
- Graphic Design
- International Relations
- Industrial Product Design
- Agricultural Science
- Creative Writing
- New Media Studies
- Information Technology
Yes, you’ve read it right. Management courses like MBA or BBA are not among the top courses in New Zealand. The country is known for its top-class courses offered in Computer Science. IT and Animation. If you want to pursue a course that does not involve any kind of business or management factor then New Zealand is the right choice for you.
The tables below depict the top universities in New Zealand and India along with their international rankings.
|Top 5 Universities in New Zealand||QS World University Rankings 2022|
|Auckland University of Technology||#451|
|University of Auckland||#85|
|Victoria University of Wellington||#236|
|University of Canterbury||#258|
|Top 5 Universities in India||QS World University Rankings 2022|
|Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IITB)||#177|
|Indian Institute of Science (IISC) Bangalore||#186|
|Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IITD)||#185|
|Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur (IITK)||#277|
|University of Delhi||##501-510|
The major difference between the top universities in New Zealand and India is that top universities in New Zealand offer courses in almost every subject which makes it easier for Indian students to get into top universities in New Zealand. While top universities in India do not offer a wide range of courses or subjects and are limited to engineering and technology. It is a tough competition for students in India to get into the top universities such as the IITs. IITs have an acceptance rate of 7% only. It is better to choose New Zealand for higher studies as it has a wide range of study options for students.
Cost of Studying
The table below mentions the cost of studying in top universities in New Zealand:
|New Zealand||Tuition Fees per annum|
|University of Auckland||NZ $41,000 – NZ $45,000(INR 20-22 Lakh)|
|Victoria University of Wellington||NZ $29,000 – NZ $31,000(INR 14-15 Lakh)|
|Auckland University of Technology||NZ $35,000 – NZ $45,000(INR 17-22 Lakh)|
|University of Canterbury||NZ $28,000 – NZ $35,000(INR 14-17 Lakh)|
Cost of Living
An international student managing expenses is quite difficult. While studying in New Zealand, you are likely to spend around NZ $14,000 to NZ $17,000 (INR 7-8 Lakh) per year on accommodation, transport and travel, entertainment, food and bills. Check out Leverage Edu’s Cost of Living Calculator for a detailed breakdown to manage the expenses as an international student in New Zealand.
To know more, Register here for UniConnect by creating an account and interact one on one with top university representatives, apply with one click and secure on-spot offers and scholarships.
FAQs for why Study in New Zealand and not in India
Yes, you can actually get admission to one of the top universities in New Zealand such as Auckland University of Technology, Lincoln University, University of Auckland and Victoria University of Wellington as they accept an IELTS Score of 5.5
Universities in New Zealand have 2 major intakes in January and July for international students.
Some of the best cities to live and study in as an International Student in New Zealand are Auckland, Wellington, Hamilton and Christchurch.
Have you decided to study in New Zealand? Call Leverage Edu at 1800572000 and book a free consultancy session to map your journey to the university of your choice as applying to universities can be tricky and it is always better to seek professional guidance for it.