Sports has always been an important source of recreation. Think about the days of world cup cricket when people around the country would spend hours in front of the TV cheering for the national team. But have you ever wondered what goes behind the scenes of a sports match? Who are the people working tirelessly behind a sports match to make it a successful event? Sports Management is a sub-field of business that deals with recreational events and their effective execution. A degree in Sports Management equips students with the knowledge of tackling the managerial needs and requirements of any sports event. If you are planning to pursue this emerging field, here is a comprehensive blog detailing the immense scope of a career in Sports Management as well as the courses you can choose from and the job opportunities you can avail.
Why a Career in Sports Management?
While aspiring for a career in Sports Management, the first thing you should know is how to leverage your sports talent to a successful business career. Along with this, you ought to be proficient in planning sports campaigns, events and tournaments as well as managing people and/or different teams. Further, you must be aware of the different aspects of sports events from handling the teams to tackling the execution of telecasts.
Pursuing a degree in this field, you will get to learn about different operational aspects of how a sports event is carried out. Below we have mentioned the key features of a course in Sports Management:[optin-monster-shortcode id=”xf2mlnjiouddzrshykdb”]
- Students are familiarized with the concepts of advertising and marketing concepts used in the world of sports. From managing online campaigns to ensuring a positive image of a sports team, you will get to know about the ins and outs of sports marketing.
- A positive market image would have a significant impact on the sales of tickets for an event. These sales would, in turn, lead to a higher revenue generation which is also seen as one of the criteria to determine the success of an event.
- Broadcasting is a crucial element of any live sports event. While studying sports management, students are provided with know-how of how a live event is broadcasted and how the camera team works around the arena capturing the audience as well as the players.
- You will also get to learn about how medical emergencies are handled during a sports event.
- The management of the sports team, their training and accommodations is also ensured by sports managers and a course in this field will acquaint you with how effectively you can take care of your team along with sorting out their match schedules and training sessions.
Courses Offered in Sports Management
Below we have listed down the wide range of degree and certificate programs offered in Sports Management.
|Undergraduate||Bachelor of Science in Sports Management
Bachelor of Science in Business Management
Ontario College Diploma in Strength and Sports Conditioning
Bachelor of Sports Coaching & Development
Bachelor of Management in Sports Management- Sports Law
|Postgraduate||Master of Business- Sports Leadership & Management
Master of Sports Management (Research)
Master of Professional Studies in Sports Management
Master of Science in Sports Administration
MSc in Sports Policy, Management & International Development
|Doctorate||Doctor of Philosophy in Recreation, Sports and Tourism
Doctor of Philosophy in Sports
& Exercise Science- Biomechanics
|Certificates||Certificate in Sports and Human Performance
New Zealand Certificate in Outdoor and Adventurous Education
A course in sports management includes certain subjects. While the specific list of subjects may vary from university to university, the generic subject list remains the same. Given below are the general subject covered under this course –
- Sports marketing
- Sports management policy
- Sponsorship, marketing and merchandise of sports
- Sports finance & business
- Sports law
- Sports ethics
- Sports organization
- Sports event staging
- Sports media communication
- Sports broadcasting
Skills Required for a Career in Sports Management
Mentioned below is the required skill set for pursuing a career in sports management –
- Physical Fitness
- Communication skills
- Time management skills
- Observation skills
- Collaborative Aptitude
Top Sports Management Universities – Abroad
Listed below are some of the top Sports Management Universities abroad that students may wish to apply for –
- University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- University of Florida
- EU Business School
- University of Liverpool
- Deakin University
- International Academy of Sports Science and Technology
- Loughborough University
- Coventry University
- Sheffield Business School
- De Montfort University
Top Sports Management Universities – India
Listed below are some of the top Sports Management Universities in India that students may wish to apply for –
- National Academy of Sports Management, Maharashtra
- Institute of Social Welfare and Business Management, West Bengal
- International Institute of Sports Management, Maharashtra
- IIM, Rohtak
- KJ Somaiya Institute of Management
- Symbiosis Institute of Sports Management
- University of Technology and Management, Meghalaya
- Alagappa University, Tamil Nadu
- Indira Gandhi Institute of Physical Education and Sports Science, New Delhi
Career Scope and Prospects
Adding the managerial aspects of the field of business into the world of sports, the career domain of Sports Management is filled with an immense number of job opportunities. It has exciting avenues that you explore from the varied areas of Marketing to Medical fields like Nutrition and Physiotherapy, all of which are associated with the vast discipline of Sports Management. Here is a list of major job profiles that you can discover in this field:
- Sports Instructor
- Sports Nutritionist
- Marketing Manager
- Athletics Director
- PR Professionals
- Athletics Administrator
If you feel intrigued by the exciting prospects offered by the field of Sports Management, you can get in touch with our experts at Leverage Edu and we will help you find the right match in terms of a course and university that can equip you with the right knowledge and exposure into this field.