One of the most sought after degree programmes, MBA is a postgraduate course that offers countless career opportunities and immense global exposure in the field of Business and Management. With the increasing demand, academic institutions across the world now offer different types of MBA which focus on both, theoretical as well as practical understanding of the field. However, selecting the right country for an MBA program is as important as choosing the right specialization. Home to some of the world’s esteemed MBA universities, New Zealand has etched its name in offering globally recognised Management courses, due to which, the country is becoming a preferred destination for those aspiring to study Business and Management. So, if you also want to know more about MBA in New Zealand for International students, then here is a blog that will shed light on the same!
This Blog Includes:
- MBA in New Zealand: Top Universities and Programs
- Eligibility Requirements
- MBA in New Zealand: Location and QS Rankings
- Scholarships for MBA in New Zealand
- Cost of Studying MBA in New Zealand
- Perks of Studying MBA in New Zealand
- MBA in New Zealand: COVID and Admission Updates
MBA in New Zealand: Top Universities and Programs
|Top MBA Universities in New Zealand||Course||Duration||Exams Required||Work Experience|
|Victoria University of Wellington||EMBA||12- 20 Months||GMAT/ IELTS/ TOEFL/ PTE||3 years of work experience|
2 – 5 years
|IELTS/ TOEFL||3 years of work experience|
|Eastern Institute of Technology||MBA||1.5 Years||IELTS/ TOEFL/ PTE||Required|
|Whitireia New Zealand||Master of Management||18 Months||IELTS||Required|
|Otago Polytechnic||Master of Applied Management||1.5 Years||IELTS||3- 5 years of work experience|
|University of Auckland||Master of International Business||18 Months||GMAT/ IELTS/ TOEFL/ PTE||3- 5 years of work experience|
|University of Otago||Full-Time MBA||15- 24 Months||GMAT/ IELTS/ TOEFL/ PTE||3 years of work experience|
|University of Canterbury||Master of Business Administration||15 Months||IELTS/ TOEFL/ PTE||5 years of work experience|
|AUT University||MBA||1- 1.5 Years||GMAT/ IELTS/ TOEFL/ PTE||5 years of work experience|
|Unitec Institute of Technology||Master of Business||2 Years||IELTS/ TOEFL/ PTE||Required|
|Auckland Institute of Studies||Master of Business Administration||20 Months||IELTS/ TOEFL/ PTE||3 years of work experience|
|The University of Waikato||MBA||12 – 18 months||IELTS/ TOEFL/ PTE||3 years of work experience|
|Manukau Institute of Technology||MBA||12 – 24 months||IELTS||Required|
The eligibility criteria in New Zealand for a program like MBA is not very rigorous or difficult. Here are the major eligibility requirements you need to fulfil in order to apply for an MBA in New Zealand:
- A bachelor’s degree from any globally recognized institution in any field.
- Generally, universities in New Zealand need applicants to have a minimum work experience of 2 to 5 years on average.
- You need to have a valid English proficiency test like IELTS/TOEFL/PTE, etc. scores as specified by the respective university.
- SOP for MBA, LORs, transcripts, updated CV/resume also form essential components.
- Submitting GMAT scores are essential in some of the schools in order to pursue an MBA in New Zealand. However, the average score range can vary from one university to another.
MBA in New Zealand: Location and QS Rankings
Here are the top business schools and colleges for MBA in New Zealand:
|Top MBA Universities in New Zealand||Location||QS World University Rankings: 2021|
|Victoria University of Wellington||Kelburn, Wellington||223|
|Massey University||Palmerston North||272|
|Eastern Institute of Technology||Napier||–|
|Whitireia New Zealand||Porirua||–|
|Otago Polytechnic||North Dunedin||–|
|University of Auckland||Auckland||81|
|University of Otago||Dunedin||184|
|University of Canterbury||Christchurch||270|
|Unitec Institute of Technology||Auckland||–|
|Auckland Institute of Studies||Auckland||–|
|The University of Waikato||Hamilton||375|
|Manukau Institute of Technology||Auckland||–|
Otago Business School, University of Otago
The Otago Business School is not only one of the most sought-after schools for an MBA in New Zealand but is also revered worldwide. Apart from the full-time, 16-months long MBA course, it also offers part-time and online MBA programmes which can take 3 years to complete. With the aim of providing practical as well as theoretical knowledge, students get a chance to delve deep into the subject through student exchange programs and studying electives. Otago Business School has also been placed in the 151-200 rank on the QS University Rankings 2020.
The University of Auckland Business School
Another addition to our list of B-schools to pursue an MBA in New Zealand is the University of Auckland Business school. Financial Management and Control, Engaging Innovation Ecosystems, Organisational Resilience, Managing Capacity and Inventory, etc are some of the major modules taught in their 17-18 months long MBA course. When it comes to the rankings, its Business and Management studies have been placed in the 51-500 bracket in the QS 2020 report. To take admission, apart from the documents as specified by the B-school, you also need to submit GMAT scores (at least 550).
Auckland University of Technology
The university offers a Full-Time and Part-Time MBA which runs for a period of 1 year and 1.5- 2 years respectively. Furthermore, to enroll in its MBA programmes, you need to have a minimum of 5 years of work experience and 6.5 IELTS band score (Academic).
University of Canterbury
With accreditations received from AACSB, EQUIS, and AMBA, the Business school of the University of Canterbury is another popular institute to pursue MBA in New Zealand. Digital Transformation and Technology Preparedness, Smart Cities, Innovative-Driven Leadership, etc are some of the core courses taught during the journey of the degree program. You can complete an MBA in 16 months if you opt for a full-time course or within 5 years if it is part-time.
The University of Waikato
With an aim to impart advanced knowledge and equip the students with managerial skills, the MBA programme of Waikato Management School is ideal for those who wish to join senior roles, be it entrepreneurs, technical specialists, or middle managers. To enrol in their 18 months long MBA course, you need to have at least 3 years of management experience/5 years of work experience. The school of the University of Waikato has also been accredited by EQUIS, AMBA, and AACSB.
Scholarships for MBA in New Zealand
There are numerous scholarships for MBA in New Zealand offered by the government as well as the universities in New Zealand. Here are the top options to pursue MBA in New Zealand with scholarship:
- New Zealand Excellence Award by Education New Zealand (ENZ)
- Auckland University of Technology/AUT International Excellence Scholarship
- MBA Awards by Massey University
- GOPIO West Auckland Scholarship
- Master’s Scholarship by University of Otago
- The University of Canterbury’s Alison MacGibbon Fund
- Forte Fellows Program for MBA
More Info: Scholarships in New Zealand
Cost of Studying MBA in New Zealand
The affordable cost of studying in New Zealand is one of the prominent factors that make it a choicest study destination. When it comes to MBA in New Zealand, the universities offer a wide range of budget-friendly MBA courses for students to choose from.
The average tuition fees for MBA in New Zealand is around NZ$21,000-NZ$51,000 [roughly 11,31,755- 27,48,548 INR] for the first year and can vary as per the university and program.
Further, living cost varies as per the city you choose and while applying for New Zealand Student Visa, you might be asked to provide proof of sufficient funds around $15000 (indicative) if you plan to stay in the country for a year.
Note: The aforementioned cost of studying in New Zealand is only for indicative purpose and shows rough estimates. Actual costs might vary. You can also use our Cost of Living Calculator to find the cost of living in New Zealand.
Perks of Studying MBA in New Zealand
New Zealand is one of the popular countries in the world when it comes to pursuing quality education. With its amicable environment and globally updated curriculum, New Zealand attracts a large number of international students every year for its MBA courses.
- The MBA programs in New Zealand work on the principles of an interdisciplinary approach. This means that students gain an understanding of the industry as well as theoretical concepts.
- The curriculum of every MBA program is well-updated as well as well-reputed.
- Offering theoretical knowledge embedded in an industry-oriented curriculum is the core aim of every MBA course offered by the universities in New Zealand.
- The course fees in New Zealand is more affordable compared to the other developed countries.
- Equipping students with the required skill set as well as industry exposure, the universities nurture and groom them for the field of Business and Management.
- The universities in New Zealand offer numerous scholarship programs for international students.
- MBA services offered by New Zealand universities help students advance their careers and earning potential.
- The development of a strong personality in students is emphasised in order for them to become sound decision-makers in the future.
- MBA in New Zealand programs enables international students to research the global economics of a variety of industries in depth.
- Students learn in an atmosphere that blends the western and eastern worlds, helping them to better understand one another and expand their market and management perspectives.
- Along with all this, an easy Visa policy for international students, another alluring factor for choosing New Zealand for higher studies.
MBA in New Zealand: COVID and Admission Updates
To apply for an MBA at a New Zealand university, students must have a bachelor’s degree and 3-4 years of related work experience. Most universities accept applications for semesters beginning in July and February on a rolling basis. International students can apply two to three months prior to the start of the semester to ensure that all necessary arrangements, such as visas, travel, and housing, are completed on time.
Having said that, Most colleges are also accepting foreign student applications for the fall semester of 2021. If the situation is the same across the world, classes will be held online. International students enrolled for the 2020 semester who are scheduled to begin classes in July do not need a visa and can complete their studies online during that time.
Hence, choosing an MBA in New Zealand gives you an opportunity to study at the world’s leading universities and explore wide-ranging prospects in the field of Management. Reach out to the experts at Leverage Edu for assistance in writing the statement of purpose that sheds light on all your achievements and the motive to pursue an MBA from the chosen university in a very impressive way