One of the most sought-after degree programs, MBA is a postgraduate course that offers countless career opportunities and immense global exposure in the field of Business and Management. With the increasing demand, academic institutions across the world now offer different types of MBA which focus on both, theoretical as well as practical understanding of the field. However, selecting the right country for an MBA program is as important as choosing the right specialization. Home to some of the world’s esteemed MBA universities, New Zealand has etched its name in offering globally recognized Management courses, due to which, the country is becoming a preferred destination for those aspiring to study Business and Management. So, if you also want to know more about MBA in New Zealand for international students, then here is a blog that will shed light on the same!
|Name of the Country||New Zealand|
|Currency||New Zealand Dollar|
|Top University||University of Auckland|
|Duration of MBA in New Zealand||1-2 years|
|Average tuition fees||NZ$53,350 (INR 27,70,947)|
|Language of teaching||English|
|Average annual salary after MBA||NZ$1,21,834 (INR 63,25,657)|
This Blog Includes:
- MBA in New Zealand: Top Courses and Requirements
- Eligibility Requirements
- MBA in New Zealand: Location and QS Rankings
- Admission Process for MBA in New Zealand
- Documents Required
- Scholarships for MBA in New Zealand
- Cost of Studying MBA in New Zealand
- MBA in New Zealand: Affordable Options
- Job Prospects and Average Salary
- Perks of Studying MBA in New Zealand
- Student and Work Visa Requirements
- MBA in New Zealand: COVID and Admission Updates
MBA in New Zealand: Top Courses and Requirements
The top-ranked universities and business schools in New Zealand offer world-class MBA programs spanning a duration of 1-2 years. Here is a complete list of top MBA courses in New Zealand:
|Top MBA Universities in New Zealand||Course||Duration||Exams Required||Work Experience|
|Victoria University of Wellington||EMBA||12- 20 Months||GMAT/ IELTS/ TOEFL/ PTE||3 years of work experience|
2 – 5 years
|IELTS/ TOEFL||3 years of work experience|
|Eastern Institute of Technology||MBA||1.5 Years||IELTS/ TOEFL/ PTE||Required|
|Whitireia New Zealand||Master of Management||18 Months||IELTS||Required|
|Otago Polytechnic||Master of Applied Management||1.5 Years||IELTS||3- 5 years of work experience|
|University of Auckland||Master of International Business||18 Months||GMAT/ IELTS/ TOEFL/ PTE||3- 5 years of work experience|
|University of Otago||Full-Time MBA||15- 24 Months||GMAT/ IELTS/ TOEFL/ PTE||3 years of work experience|
|University of Canterbury||Master of Business Administration||15 Months||IELTS/ TOEFL/ PTE||5 years of work experience|
|AUT University||MBA||1- 1.5 Years||GMAT/ IELTS/ TOEFL/ PTE||5 years of work experience|
|Unitec Institute of Technology||Master of Business||2 Years||IELTS/ TOEFL/ PTE||Required|
|Auckland Institute of Studies||Master of Business Administration||20 Months||IELTS/ TOEFL/ PTE||3 years of work experience|
|The University of Waikato||MBA||12 – 18 months||IELTS/ TOEFL/ PTE||3 years of work experience|
|Manukau Institute of Technology||MBA||12 – 24 months||IELTS||Required|
The eligibility criteria in New Zealand for a program like MBA is not very rigorous or difficult. Here are the major eligibility requirements you need to fulfil in order to apply for an MBA in New Zealand:
- A bachelor’s degree from any globally recognized institution in any field.
- Generally, universities in New Zealand need applicants to have a minimum work experience of 2 to 5 years on average.
- You need to have a valid English proficiency test like IELTS/TOEFL/PTE, etc. scores as specified by the respective university.
- Submitting GMAT scores are essential in some of the schools in order to pursue an MBA in New Zealand. However, the average score range can vary from one university to another.
MBA in New Zealand: Location and QS Rankings
Here are the top business schools and colleges for MBA in New Zealand:
|Top MBA Universities in New Zealand||Location||QS World University Rankings: 2022|
|Victoria University of Wellington||Kelburn, Wellington||=236|
|Massey University||Palmerston North||284|
|Eastern Institute of Technology||Napier||–|
|Whitireia New Zealand||Porirua||–|
|Otago Polytechnic||North Dunedin||–|
|University of Auckland||Auckland||=85|
|University of Otago||Dunedin||=194|
|University of Canterbury||Christchurch||=258|
|Unitec Institute of Technology||Auckland||–|
|Auckland Institute of Studies||Auckland||–|
|The University of Waikato||Hamilton||=373|
|Manukau Institute of Technology||Auckland||–|
Otago Business School, University of Otago
The Otago Business School is not only one of the most sought-after schools for an MBA in New Zealand but is also revered worldwide. Apart from the full-time, 16-months long MBA course, it also offers part-time and online MBA programmes which can take 3 years to complete. With the aim of providing practical as well as theoretical knowledge, students get a chance to delve deep into the subject through student exchange programs and studying electives. Otago Business School has also been placed in the 151-200 rank on the QS University Rankings 2020.
The University of Auckland Business School
Another addition to our list of B-schools to pursue an MBA in New Zealand is the University of Auckland Business school. Financial Management and Control, Engaging Innovation Ecosystems, Organisational Resilience, Managing Capacity and Inventory, etc are some of the major modules taught in their 17-18 months long MBA course. When it comes to the rankings, its Business and Management studies have been placed in the 51-500 bracket in the QS 2020 report. To take admission, apart from the documents as specified by the B-school, you also need to submit GMAT scores (at least 550).
Auckland University of Technology
The university offers a Full-Time and Part-Time MBA which runs for a period of 1 year and 1.5- 2 years respectively. Furthermore, to enroll in its MBA programmes, you need to have a minimum of 5 years of work experience and 6.5 IELTS band score (Academic).
University of Canterbury
With accreditations received from AACSB, EQUIS, and AMBA, the Business school of the University of Canterbury is another popular institute to pursue MBA in New Zealand. Digital Transformation and Technology Preparedness, Smart Cities, Innovative-Driven Leadership, etc are some of the core courses taught during the journey of the degree program. You can complete an MBA in 16 months if you opt for a full-time course or within 5 years if it is part-time.
The University of Waikato
With an aim to impart advanced knowledge and equip the students with managerial skills, the MBA programme of Waikato Management School is ideal for those who wish to join senior roles, be it entrepreneurs, technical specialists, or middle managers. To enrol in their 18 months long MBA course, you need to have at least 3 years of management experience/5 years of work experience. The school of the University of Waikato has also been accredited by EQUIS, AMBA, and AACSB.
Admission Process for MBA in New Zealand
Students must adhere to the following simple and straightforward requirements while applying for an MBA in New Zealand:
- Step 1: Fill out the online application form provided on the official website of any of the universities in New Zealand.
- Step 2: Fill out the application form and upload the scanned copies of your papers and documents that are asked for.
- Step 3: Download and submit the application form, as well as pay the application fees (if any).
- Step 4: Following the evaluation process, the interviews would take place online.
- Step 5: The university will send an official invitation letter or offer letter to you via mail if you are a suitable candidate.
- Step 6: Apply for a student visa and notify the university of your intended arrival date.
Here is a list of all the documents that you may require at the time of your admission process procedures to apply for an MBA in New Zealand. Have a quick look at these:
- Copy of original transcripts of schools and colleges attended
- Application form copy
- Financial statements
- MBA submission essays, if asked by the university
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters of Reccomendation
- Updated CV/Resume
- Loan documents (if applied)
- A valid copy of passport
- Passport-sized photographs
- COVID-19 reports
- Test scores like IELTS, TOEFL, GMAT, GRE, etc.
Scholarships for MBA in New Zealand
There are numerous scholarships for MBA in New Zealand offered by the government as well as the universities in New Zealand. Here are the top options to pursue MBA in New Zealand with scholarship:
- New Zealand Excellence Award by Education New Zealand (ENZ)
- Auckland University of Technology/AUT International Excellence Scholarship
- MBA Awards by Massey University
- GOPIO West Auckland Scholarship
- Master’s Scholarship by University of Otago
- The University of Canterbury’s Alison MacGibbon Fund
- Forte Fellows Program for MBA
More Info: Scholarships in New Zealand
Cost of Studying MBA in New Zealand
The affordable cost of studying in New Zealand is one of the prominent factors that make it a choicest study destination. When it comes to MBA in New Zealand, the universities offer a wide range of budget-friendly MBA courses for students to choose from.
The average tuition fees for MBA in New Zealand is around NZ$21,000-NZ$51,000 [roughly 11,31,755- 27,48,548 INR] for the first year and can vary as per the university and program.
Further, living cost varies as per the city you choose and while applying for New Zealand Student Visa, you might be asked to provide proof of sufficient funds around $15000 (indicative) if you plan to stay in the country for a year.
Note: The aforementioned cost of studying in New Zealand is only for indicative purpose and shows rough estimates. Actual costs might vary. You can also use our Cost of Living Calculator to find the cost of living in New Zealand.
MBA in New Zealand: Affordable Options
It is said that MBA is known to be a money-making degree. You have to invest a good amount of capital or money in order to expect high returns on your investment (ROI). But countries like New Zealand are offering international students the option to choose from. New Zealand is giving international students a chance to pursue their dream of studying MBA abroad at low and affordable costs. Given below is a list of some universities found in New Zealand that are offering management courses and other courses at comparatively less prices than other universities in New Zealand and Australia.
- Christchurch Polytechnic Institute of Technology
- Auckland Institute of Studies
- Whitecliffe College of Arts & Design
- Waiariki Institute of Technology
- University of Auckland
- Victoria University of Wellington
Job Prospects and Average Salary
With an unemployment rate as low as 4%, New Zealand provides work possibilities to nearly all of its graduates. The government of New Zealand has issued a list of ‘Essential Skills in Demand’ (ESID) on the skills and jobs that are in high demand. This will assist you in developing abilities that are in demand, allowing you to obtain better jobs in the future. Some of the top recruiting companies for MBA graduates in New Zealand are:
- ANZ Banking
- Foodstuffs Auckland Ltd
- Fletcher Building
- Fisher and Paykle
- AFFCO Holdings, etc.
Given below is the list of popular job roles that one might find after completing an MBA in New Zealand along with average salary packages.
|Job Role||Average annual salary in NZD||Average annual salary in INR|
|Chairman Office Manager||140,000||27.8 lakhs|
|Assistant Manager||120,000||62.4 lakhs|
|Project Manager||110,000||57.2 lakhs|
|Human Resources Manager||55,000||28.6 lakhs|
|Division General Manager||135,00||70.2 lakhs|
|Marketing Manager||98,000||50.9 lakhs|
|Business Manager||130,000||67.6 lakhs|
Perks of Studying MBA in New Zealand
New Zealand is one of the popular countries in the world when it comes to pursuing quality education. With its amicable environment and globally updated curriculum, New Zealand attracts a large number of international students every year for its MBA courses.
- The MBA programs in New Zealand work on the principles of an interdisciplinary approach. This means that students gain an understanding of the industry as well as theoretical concepts.
- The curriculum of every MBA program is well-updated as well as well-reputed.
- Offering theoretical knowledge embedded in an industry-oriented curriculum is the core aim of every MBA course offered by the universities in New Zealand.
- The course fees in New Zealand is more affordable compared to the other developed countries.
- Equipping students with the required skill set as well as industry exposure, the universities nurture and groom them for the field of Business and Management.
- The universities in New Zealand offer numerous scholarship programs for international students.
- MBA services offered by New Zealand universities help students advance their careers and earning potential.
- The development of a strong personality in students is emphasised in order for them to become sound decision-makers in the future.
- MBA in New Zealand programs enables international students to research the global economics of a variety of industries in depth.
- Students learn in an atmosphere that blends the western and eastern worlds, helping them to better understand one another and expand their market and management perspectives.
- Along with all this, an easy Visa policy for international students, another alluring factor for choosing New Zealand for higher studies.
Student and Work Visa Requirements
After confirming acceptance to the University for an MBA degree program, applicants should begin the process of applying for a student visa. If you want to stay in New Zealand for more than three months, you will need a student visa. Every year, between 90,000 and 95,000 students move to New Zealand to further their education, according to reports. Having said that, the cost of a student visa is around NZ$ 265 (INR 13,760) and may be paid by check or draught. International students enrolled in a full-time program are permitted to work a maximum of 20 hours per week and full-time during holidays.
The government also grants overseas students a 12-month visa after graduation if they are currently unemployed and looking for work. Those who obtain a job in New Zealand after graduation must apply for a ‘Graduate Work Experience’ visa. This would allow them to stay in New Zealand for the next roughly two years.
MBA in New Zealand: COVID and Admission Updates
To apply for an MBA at a New Zealand university, students must have a bachelor’s degree and 3-4 years of related work experience. Most universities accept applications for semesters beginning in July and February on a rolling basis. International students can apply two to three months prior to the start of the semester to ensure that all necessary arrangements, such as visas, travel, and housing, are completed on time.
Having said that, Most colleges are also accepting foreign student applications for the fall semester of 2021. If the situation is the same across the world, classes will be held online. International students enrolled for the 2020 semester who are scheduled to begin classes in July do not need a visa and can complete their studies online during that time.
Pursuing an MBA in New Zealand is a fantastic choice because the nation is home to globally recognised MBA-granting universities and has a reputation for high education and excellence.
Yes! GMAT is one of the most important criteria to take admission at any University in New Zealand for an MBA course.
MBA in Marketing Management is one of the most popular MBA courses that is high demands in New Zealand.
The good news is that it is quite simple to get work in New Zealand! Some of the occupations listed here are in such great demand that companies will hire anyone who turns up. Many jobs are dependent just on positive vibes and personality, so show up, be yourself, be wonderful, and you’ll get the job.
The most affordable countries to study MBA are:
No, MBA is not free in New Zealand. International students’ tuition prices vary based on the type of study, the university, and the length of the full term. Most institutions charge tuition fees ranging from $26,000 to $37,000, with additional rates for courses such as medicine and veterinary science.
Hence, choosing an MBA in New Zealand gives you an opportunity to study at the world’s leading universities and explore wide-ranging prospects in the field of Management. Reach out to the experts at Leverage Edu for assistance in writing the statement of purpose that sheds light on all your achievements and the motive to pursue an MBA from the chosen university in a very impressive way