London has been ranking #1 on the QS Best Student Cities ranking for 2 consecutive years and has been one of the top 10 student cities for a long time. As an academic hotspot offering excellent courses to graduate students, the city has emerged as the best place to help you grow your career in a positive direction with its diverse environment, great nightlife and greenery and ranking fourth in the rankings for employer activity. With a majority of Indian students eyeing the city as their go-to destination for higher education, here are some of the top universities in London for Masters!
This Blog Includes:
- 5 Study to Pursue Masters in London
- Top Universities in London for Masters
- Popular Courses in London for Masters
- Cost of Studying Masters in London
- Popular Intakes at Universities in London
- Eligibility Requirements for Universities in London for Masters
- How to Apply to Universities in London for Masters
- Documents Checklist
- Student Visa for UK
5 Study to Pursue Masters in London
- London offers top class academics with universities that are ranked consistently among the top in the world. Top Universities like UCL, King’s College London, Queen Mary University of London are located in the heart of the city with their massive campuses.
- The city enjoys close proximity to the top recruiters and is home to some of the world’s leading companies like Barclays, HBSC , Unilever etc. London is the perfect study destination for pursuing a masters degree in a variety of specialisations.
- In London, the university’s academic year is divided into 2 semesters. Admission can be taken in two major intakes, January or September which allows students two entry points for admissions.
- London is a marketplace for job hunters, students can easily find full-time and part-time job opportunities in the city. Students can take up internships to build their resumes and gain valuable work experience.
- London universities also offer a May intake for select courses. Masters programs are usually a 1-3 year full-time course and most universities also provide a part-time 2-5 year in the same.
- In the UK, you can work part-time during your studies as well and apply for the famous post-study work visa that allows you to stay back in the country to gain valuable work experience.
- Another benefit of studying Masters in London is the amazing nightlife and its juxtaposition with work life and party life. Students get ample opportunities to explore the culture, history and get a glimpse of the city’s bustling way of life.
Top Universities in London for Masters
|University||QS World University Ranking 2022|
|Imperial College London||8|
|University College London (UCL)||10|
|King’s College London||31|
|The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)||49|
|Queen Mary University of London||114|
|City, University of London||350|
|Birkbeck, University of London||334|
|Royal Holloway University of London||308|
|Brunel University London||368|
|SOAS University of London||346|
|Goldsmiths, University of London||416|
|University of Westminster||651-700|
|University of East London (UEL)||801-1000|
|University of West London (UWL)||801-1000|
|London Metropolitan University (London MET)||801-1000|
|Middlesex University London||701-750|
|University of Greenwich||701-750|
|London South Bank University||751-800|
|University of Roehampton London||–|
|Regent’s University London||–|
Popular Courses in London for Masters
Here are some of the most popular masters courses to study in London for Indian students:
- MA Economics
- Law (LLM)
- MSc/MA Finance
- MA/MSc Accounting
- MA/MSc Psychology
- Master of Architecture
- Master of Management
- MSc/MEng Computer Science
- MA Political Science
- Master of Engineering
- Masters in Communications
- MA Journalism
- MD specialisations
- MSc in Mathematical Sciences
- MA in English
Cost of Studying Masters in London
London is an expensive city in the UK as compared to other cities. Here’s a breakdown of cost of studying masters in London:
|Tuition Fees for Masters||£15000 – £35000 (INR 1284965 – 2998252) annually|
|Average Rent||£213 (INR 18,530) per week|
|Food||£30 (INR 2600) per week|
|Course Materials||£208 (INR 18100) per semester|
|Clothes, Health and Others||£40 (INR 3480) per week|
Popular Intakes at Universities in London
Universities in London offer Masters programs majorly during the January intake or September intake. There is also an additional Intake in April/May but only for select courses. Here are the deadline for the major intakes in London
Eligibility Requirements for Universities in London for Masters
- A Bachelor’s degree with honours or equivalent with minimum GPA specified by the university.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with a minimum GPA specified by the university
- English Language Proficiency (IELTS/ TOEFL/PTE/Duolingo English Test). Minimum scores specified by the university.
- GMAT/GRE score specified by the university.
- Some UK universities may require a minimum of two years of work experience.
- A background in a particular subject depending upon your choice of specialisation.
How to Apply to Universities in London for Masters
International students applying to UK universities must follow a well-researched guide before starting their application process:
Step-1: Shortlist Courses and Universities
The primary step in the application process is to shortlist courses and universities according to your academic profile and preference. Students can shortlist courses and universities through AI-Course Finder and generate a list of universities where they are most likely to get through and plan their application process in advance.
Step-2: Know Your Deadlines
The next step is to know the exact deadlines of universities and colleges in the UK you are planning to apply to. International students have to take the application process well in advance (one year to 6 months before the actual deadline). This ensures that students can fulfill all the college requirements such as SOP, letters of recommendation, English proficiency tests, funding/scholarship options, and accommodation.
Step-3: Take Entrance Tests
The third step in the application process for UK universities requires students to take tests like IELTS, TOEFL, PTE or GRE/GMAT/LNAT/BMAT/MAT (in some courses). In some universities, students have to submit scores for SAT or ACT exams. A new addition to English proficiency tests is the Duolingo Test which allows students to appear for the exam from the comfort of their homes and is accepted across the world.
Step-4: Compile Your Documents
The next step is to compile all the required documents and test scores for the application process. This means students should start writing their SOPs, getting letters of recommendation from teachers and supervisors and arranging their financial statements along with other documents like test scorecards. With the COVID-19 pandemic, students must download their vaccine certificates and specify the administered vaccine for the application.
Step-5: Get Started with Your Application
Once you have all the documents in place, students can start the application process either directly or through portals like UCAS. Students applying to UK universities that accept direct applications can start by applying through the official university website. They have to select the courses, pay the application fees and start the online application process.
- Completely filled application form
- Academic transcripts
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Copy of IELTS/TOEFL/PTE test scores
- Copy of GMAT/GRE test scores, if applicable
- Self-attested X & XII marksheet and certificates
- 2 references, if applicable
- Passport/Identification Card
- Letter of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- Proof of funds
Student Visa for UK
To study in London, UK, you have to apply for a General Student Visa [Tier 4].You will become eligible for a study visa once you are enrolled in a full-time study course. The requirements include:
- Proof of identity
- Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number
- Offer letter from university
- Documents for obtaining CAS
- Recent passport size photographs
- Proof of funds
- Visa fee payment
- Additional requirements by the university
Must Read: Universities in UK with No Application Fees
- After you’ve completed your masters, you would be allowed to stay in London if you hold a job offer with an annual salary of GBP 20800 (INR 20,79,349)
- You need to switch to a Tier 2 general visa which lasts for 5 years post completion of studies.
- You can qualify for permanent residence provided your income is at least £35000 (INR 34,98,905)
Planning to study in London for your masters? Then kickstart your study abroad journey by calling our Leverage Edu experts on 1800 572 000 today! Book a free session now!