University of Southampton is a public research university in Southampton, United Kingdom. It is a founding member of the Russell Group – an organisation of 24 top UK universities. The University is ranked #77 in the world and #12 in the United Kingdom according to QS World Ranking 2022. Let’s explore more about University of Southampton admissions and the application process in the blog curated for you!
This Blog Includes:
- About University of Southampton
- Intakes at University of Southampton
- University of Southampton Admissions Deadline 2022
- University of Southampton Admissions Requirements
- English Language Requirements
- Eligibility Requirements for Indian Students
- English Language Requirements
- Documents Checklist
- University of Southampton Admissions Process
- Cost of Attendance at University of Southampton
- Accommodation at University of Southampton
- Scholarships offered at the time of University of Southampton Admissions
- Student Visa for UK
About University of Southampton
The University of Southampton was established in 1952. The origin of the university dates back to 1862 when the Hartley institution was founded. The university provides several undergraduate, postgraduate, and foundation year programs across various disciplines to its applicants. The university is ranked 16th in the The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022, 15th in The Complete University Guide 2022, 1st for Physiotherapy with 17 additional subject areas in the top 10 and 17th in The Guardian University Guide 2022, with number one rankings for Civil Engineering and Electrical & Electronic Engineering and a total of seven of our subject areas in the top 10. The University has over 40 academic schools and departments grouped into five faculties. There are 7 campuses within the university, 5 of which are campuses are in Southampton, and the remaining ones are in Malaysia and Winchester.
Also Read: University of Westminster Admissions
Intakes at University of Southampton
University of Southampton Admissions Deadline 2022
The important deadlines for undergraduate courses for the September intake are given below:
|Start of submission of applications through UCAS||7 September 2021|
|Application deadline for Medicine courses||15 October 2021|
|UCAS Application deadline for most courses||26 January 2022|
|UCAS Extra Opens (if students don’t receive any offers they can apply to a new course through UCAS extra)||25 February 2022|
|UCAS Final Deadline (final deadline for application to a September course)||30 June 2022|
For postgraduate courses, there is usually no deadline with an exception of few. However, you should start your application process as early as possible to secure a UK visa on time.
Must Read: University of Law Admissions Guide for 2022
University of Southampton Admissions Requirements
For UG courses
- 10+2 or equivalent
- Background in subjects specified by the university depending upon the course.
- English Language Proficiency Test scores. The minimum scores are specified according to the course.
For PG courses
- A 2:1/2:2 Bachelor’s degree with honours or equivalent with minimum GPA specified by the university.
- A 2:1/2:2 Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with a minimum GPA specified by the university
- English Language Proficiency Test scores (Minimum scores specified according to the course)
- GMAT/GRE score, if applicable.
- A background in a particular subject depending upon your choice of specialisation.
English Language Requirements
Undergraduate and postgraduate studies require you to give proof of English language proficiency through tests. For international students the follow are acceptable english language tests:
|Test||Band A||Band B||Band C||Band D||Band E||Band F||Band G||Band H||Band I|
Must Read: Online Masters Degree in UK
Eligibility Requirements for Indian Students
For UG courses:
- Higher Secondary Certificate/Standard 12, achieving at least 75% from Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), the Council for Indian School Certificate Examination (CISCE) and Metro State Boards (Delhi, Maharashtra, Chennai, Kolkata and Karnataka)
- High grades in UK A levels
- Between 28 and 38 points in the International Baccalaureate (IB)
For Masters courses:
- Bachelor’s degree awarded by a recognised University or an equivalent professional qualification approved by the University with an overall qualification of at least 60%
- UK 1st degree equivalent: 55 – 70% depending on awarding institution
- UK 2:1 degree equivalent: 55 – 65% depending on awarding institution
For PhD courses:
Good grades in bachelors and masters degrees awarded by a recognised university, and a strong research proposal is the minimum eligibility requirement. Admissions to PhD programs rely heavily on your research proposal and whether your research topic is aligned with the professors and supervisors body of work. Pro-tip for the PhD application process is to check the ongoing research topics and thesis of the university.
English Language Requirements
70% in English at Class XII from CBSE or ISC. These students may also be exempted from additional English language requirements. Note that these are general scores for entry requirements. Do check specific requirements before applying.
Documents required will depend on your course. Following are the standard documents required:
- Completely filled application form
- a personal statement explaining why you are suitable for the course
- Copy of degree certificate and transcript
- Copy of IELTS/PTE/TOEFL test scores
- Copy of GMAT/GRE test scores
- Self-attested X & XII marksheet and certificates
- 2 references, if applicable
- Passport/Identification Card
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Recommendation
- Fee supporting document
- Portfolio (Art programs)
- Music performance (Music Programs)
- Research proposal (PhD/MPhil)
All academic transcripts should officially be translated to English.
University of Southampton Admissions Process
Start the application process for full-time undergraduate courses by logging into UCAS with the “Apply Now“ button to access the application and create an account. For master-level programs, the candidates should apply through the university’s official website . Here’s a detailed step-by-step University of Southampton admission process for international students:
Step 1: Visit the Official Website of the University of Southampton
Select your desired course and register with the university. Discover the course through the course finder. Research the university’s placement records, tuition fee break up, living costs, course curriculum and work permit rules before applying. If you are facing issues in gathering this data, get in touch with Leverage Edu instructors at 1800 57 2000 and from the application process to the visa process, get entry into your dream university with ease.
Step 2: Gather Test Scores of Proficiency Exams
GMAT, GRE, IELTS, PTE or TOEFL are a mandatory part of the documents required for the application process. Register for Leverage Live and commence with your preparations today. A few courses may ask for the online portfolio or assignment that takes place on Skype.
Step 3: Gather other Documents
LOR, SOP, bank statements, essays, updated resumes and official transcripts of previous academic degrees are also part of the supporting documents. Start collecting all the necessary documents to get ahead with your application process.
Step 4: Submit your Application
Once you are qualified, collected all the documents and fulfilled the language requirements you are ready, to begin with, the application form. To secure your admission at University of Southampton make sure you enter all your personal and professional credentials thoroughly. Later on, check the deadlines, and submit your saved application form at the right time to the university.
Step 5: Hang Tight for the Evaluation Period
The university will take two to six weeks to evaluate the application form. You will be informed via email about your acknowledgement or rejection. As soon as you receive the offer letter, apply for Visa, apply for subsidizing, apply for nearby convenience and start pacing for your study abroad journey!
Cost of Attendance at University of Southampton
The tuition fee for undergraduate and postgraduate students for the year 2021-2022 is as follows:
|Course Type||Annual Tuition fee|
|Undergraduate courses||£19,300 – £23,720 (INR 19,49,290.69- 23,95,708.55)|
|Postgraduate Courses||£9,865 – £28,000 (INR 9,96,360.24- 28,27,986.49)|
|Application fees||£22 – £26 (2,221-2,625)|
Others expenses for living in Southampton include:
|Accommodation in halls (average)||£540 (INR 54,194.65)|
|Mobile phone and internet||£27 (INR 2,709.73)|
|Transport (train and taxi)||£80 (INR 8,028.84)|
|Food shopping||£74 (INR 7,426.67)|
|Takeaways and snacks||£26 (INR 2,609.37)|
|Coffee and tea||£7 (INR 702.87)|
|Interests and hobbies||£46 (INR 4,616.56)|
|Clothing||£42 (INR 4,217.21)|
|Personal care||£12 (INR 1,204.92)|
|Holidays and flights||£90 (INR 9,036.88)|
|Bank charges and fees||£30 (INR 3,011.93)|
|Other expenses||£21 (INR 2,108.35)|
Accommodation at University of Southampton
For accommodation, the University offers 7 options to its students. The rent varies from £119 (INR 12,018.94)- £339 (INR 34,238) per week, depending upon your choice of accommodation and bedroom capacity of the flat. In order to book your accommodation, you would first have to fill an online form through the university’s website. You can start applying from February/March for the September intake.
Scholarships offered at the time of University of Southampton Admissions
The following scholarships are provided by the University for the year 2022-2023:
|University of Southampton Undergraduate Merit Scholarships||Automatically considered while applying|
|University of SouthamptonPostgraduate Merit Scholarships||Automatically considered while applying|
|Welcome Master’s Programme Awards in Humanities and Social Science 2022||17 May 2022|
Student Visa for UK
To study in UK, you have to apply for a General Student Visa [Tier 4].You will become eligible for a study visa once you are enrolled in a full-time study course. The requirements include:
- Proof of identity
- Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number
- Offer letter from university
- Documents for obtaining CAS
- Recent passport size photographs
- Proof of funds
- Visa fee payment
- Additional requirements by the university
- You need to switch to a Tier 2 general visa which lasts for 5 years post completion of studies.
- You can qualify for permanent residence provided your income is at least £35000 (INR 35,34,983)
Find out the UK visa application process for international students and document checklist to reach your dream university on time!
Explore the University of Southampton admission process with our Leverage Edu experts and find out how easy it is to study at your dream university with the right guidance!