Civil Engineering is the subset of engineering that deals with infrastructure projects and systems built in the public and private sectors. From getting water on hot summer days to travelling on smooth roads, we rely on Civil Engineers in all these aspects of our lives. UK universities offer excellent engineering programmes across fields. Masters in Civil Engineering in the UK is a popular choice for all Indian students. If you are planning to pursue a Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering from the UK then continue reading this blog to know more about it.
This Blog Includes:
Why study Masters in Civil Engineering?
Here are some of the major reasons why many students pursue Civil Engineering.
- Earning a Masters in Civil Engineering can accelerate your career to a new level of success and satisfaction.
- In addition to preparing you for jobs in the engineering sector, the programme also helps you build relationships with your classmates, teachers, and professionals who already work in the field.
- The civil engineering sector has immense opportunities for fresh graduates which will lead you to a direct-entry job.
Why choose UK to study Masters in Civil Engineering?
Other than the world-class education here are some of the reasons why international students prefer a civil engineering degree from the UK.
- Masters in Civil Engineering UK is a degree program that will help candidates in developing their engineering expertise in perfect line with the ever-evolving and changing requirements of this field of profession. It involves the specialized study of construction, design, and maintenance of human-made structures like roads, canals, and dams.
- Involving both research work and professional practice in related disciplines, it gives students the chance to enhance their knowledge in several essential areas of study like coastal and geotechnical engineering along with construction and design management.
- Acquiring a Masters in Civil Engineering in the UK demonstrates a higher level of experience and mastery of the subject.
- Lastly, Masters degrees in the UK are highly regarded by employers. They are also popular among international students, indicating the UK’s globally-recognised strength in this area.
Top UK universities for Civil Engineering
Here is a list of the top universities that offer world-class civil engineering courses.
|Global Rank||University Name||Average Fees|
|5||University of Cambridge||£33,972 (₹35.1 Lacs)|
|6||Imperial College London||£35,700 (₹36.9 Lacs)|
|=16||University of Oxford||£20,885 (₹21.6 Lacs)|
|=44||University of Leeds||£25,750 (₹26.6 Lacs)|
|48||University of Manchester||£27,000 (₹27.9 Lacs)|
|51-100||Cardiff University||£23,450 (₹24.2 Lacs)|
|51-100||University of Nottingham||£26,500 (₹27.4 Lacs)|
|51-100||UCL||£16,500 (₹17.07 Lacs)|
|51-100||University of Bristol||£25,900(₹26.7 Lacs)|
General Eligibility Requirements
To apply for a Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering from any of the UK universities here are some of the requirements that an aspiring engineer must fulfil:
- A good Upper Second(60-70%) or First Class Degree(70% or above) results in engineering or another numerate discipline.
- Good mathematical skills (B(70%) or above at A-level(80%)
- IELTS requirements: 6.0 overall, with no lower than 5.5 in any one component.
Also Read: UK Visa News
The application process to any of the Engineering Colleges in the UK is different for international students. Here are some of the basic rules that you must follow while applying to a UK college.
- To apply for a Masters in Civil Engineering, you need to first check you meet the eligibility criteria of the university you wish to enroll in.
- If you meet the criteria, you have to fill the application form(s) available on the respective websites.You also need to apply for scholarships when filling the application form.
Here is a checklist of important documents that UK universities ask students during times of admission :
- Academic Transcripts as proof of your academic achievements
- Proof of English Proficiency test scores
- Proof of Funds as evidence to pay for the tuition fees and monthly living cost for the first year
- Academic reference letters or LORs
- SOPs or Personal Statement
After the completion of a Master’s course in Civil Engineering, there will be a plethora of job opportunities. Here are some of the important reasons why this is an in-demand degree for the working sector.
- 19% of the UK’s workforce are employed by the engineering industry, and the rapid pace of technological change is allowing civil engineers to revolutionise construction methods, improve sustainability and attempt bigger and more ambitious projects than ever before.
- Civil engineering can be a lucrative field i.e. an attractive salary could be well within your reach. Specific salary expectations will depend on the job you secure.
- As a qualified civil engineer you can find work in a range of sectors, particularly in the construction sector, on buildings and large structures of all kinds, transport and communications infrastructure. You can also work for employers involved in the production, storage and distribution of electricity, gas and water.
Some commonly sought after jobs and their salaries are listed below :
|Construction Engineer||£38,325 (₹39.5 Lacs)|
|Building Control Surveyor||£39,227 (₹40.4 Lacs)|
|Structural Engineer||£38,152(₹39.5 Lacs)|
|Water Resource Engineer||£29,008(₹39.3 Lacs)|
|Transportation Planner||£27,599(₹28.4 Lacs)|
|Quantity Surveyor||£46,064(₹47.5 Lacs)|
|Geotechnical Engineer||£34,526(₹35.6 Lacs)|
Cost of Living
Although the real numbers may vary according to the standard of living, here is a basic estimation of how much your stay in the UK may cost.
|Tuition Fees||£12000 -£35000 (₹12,38,824-₹36,13,239)|
|Tier 4 Visa||£1015 (₹1,04,783.93) per month as proof of sufficient funds|
|Accommodation||£350 to £550 (₹36,132.39 – ₹56,779.47) per month|
|Travel||£40 (₹4,129.42) monthly|
|Miscellaneous||£500 (₹51,617) monthly|
Want to study Civil Engineering in the UK? Connect with our experts at Leverage Edu and kickstart your study abroad journey. Call us at 1800 57 2000 to book your FREE counselling session today.