Scholarships are crucial for Filipino Students who wish to study abroad. The UK is a combination of advanced education, leading research and thriving student culture. Infact, UK universities offer numerous scholarships for Filipino students from all backgrounds.
This Blog Includes:
Cost of Study in the UK
The average cost of study in the UK will be more for an international student from the Philippines than it would be for a student from the UK or EU. This makes it must more necessary to have a good financial plan that includes scholarships. The average costs of various programmes in the UK for international students are as follows –
|Level of Degree||Average Tuition Fee Range|
|Bachelor’s Degree||GBP 10,000 – 15,000 (PHP 664,700 – 1,00,000)|
|UG Medical Degrees||GBP 30,000 – 35,000 (PHP 1,994,000 – 2,326,500)|
|Master’s Degree||GBP 11,000 – 32,000 (PHP 731,100 – 2,127,000)|
Cost of Living in the UK
Your cost of living in the UK will vary according to the city in which you are studying as well as your lifestyle. The following table shows the average cost of living data for the UK.
|City||Average Monthly Expenses|
|London||GBP 1,100 – 1,300 (PHP 73,100 – 86,400)|
|Edinburgh||GBP 700 – 950 (PHP 46,500 – 63,150)|
|Manchester||GBP 800 – 900 (PHP 53,200 – 59,200)|
Check out the Leverage Edu Cost of Living Calculator to find out your living expenses with ease.
Types of UK Scholarships for Filipino Students
Before we dive deep into what UK Scholarships you can apply for, let’s know what types of study abroad scholarships are offered by universities in the UK.
- Merit-based: Scholarships that are offered based on academics are known as merit-based scholarships. If you are a high-performing student, the university you are applying to might automatically nominate you for the scholarship.
- Means-based: If you belong to a low socioeconomic household or can’t afford the cost of education in the UK, you can apply for the means-based scholarships. UK Scholarships for Filipino students can be offered to students who have been victims of trauma, mental or physical illnesses as well.
- Talent-based: If you are an athlete, dancer or singer or have a talent that sets you apart, you can apply for the talent-based scholarships in UK Universities.
- Private: UK Scholarships for Filipino Students that are funded by private organisations are called private scholarships.
- Public: Scholarships that are offered by the British government are known as public scholarships.
- University-specific: Universities in the UK also offer scholarships specifically to Filipino students and even bursaries on specific courses.
Government/Privately Funded Scholarships
The British Government and private funds offer numerous scholarships to international students to make the UK an international hotspot for education. Here are some of the popular scholarships that you can apply for if you wish to study in the UK from the Philippines:
|Name of Scholarship||Eligibility||Grant|
|British Council Scholarships for women in STEM||Postgraduate taught and research courses||Fully-funded|
|Chevening Scholarships||1-year master’s program in the UK||Fully-funded|
University-Specific UK Scholarships for Filipino Students
Universities in the UK set aside large funds to aid international students with lesser financial means through their various scholarships. Here are the UK Scholarships for Filipino students offered by the top universities in the UK:
|Name of University||Scholarships Offered for Filipino Students||Grant|
|University of Oxford||Reach Oxford Scholarship||Over £12,000 (₱797,568) for living expenses and airfare|
|Cambridge University||Cambridge International Scholarship (PG)||Tuition fee, annual stipend & health surcharges|
|Cambridge University||Cambridge Trust Scholarship (UG)||Tuition fee, annual stipend & health surcharges|
|Imperial College London||World Scientific Scholarship (UG)||£5000 (₱332,320) for maintenance costs|
|University College London||Oman Embassy Fee Partnership||10% of the tuition fee & stipend|
|University College London||Graduate Research Scholarships||10% of the tuition fee & stipend|
|University of Edinburgh||Edinburgh Global Undergraduate Mathematics Scholarship||£5000 (₱332,320) per year|
|University of Edinburgh||Edinburgh Doctoral College Scholarship||Tuition fee + £15,000 (₱996,960) per year|
|King’s College London||Bosco Tso & Emily Ng Scholarship||£22,500 or (₱1,495,440) for tuition fee|
|London School of Economics||Uggla Family Scholarship||£27,526 (₱1,829,488) for fees and living costs|
|London School of Economics||CV Starr Scholarship||£5000 (₱332,320)|
|University of Warwick||Albukhary Undergraduate Scholarship||—|
|University of Bristol||Think Big Undergraduate Scholarship||£5000 (₱332,320) or £10,000 (₱664,640) per year for fees|
|University of Bristol||Future Leaders Scholarship||£5000 (₱332,320) or £10,000 (₱664,640) for fees for 1 year|
|University of Bath||Dean’s Award for Academic Excellence Scholarship||£5000 (₱332,320) in engineering, science and humanities|
|Brunel University||Brunel Medical School International Scholarship (UG)||£6000 (₱398,784) fee waiver each year|
|City, University of London||Bayes Business School International Scholarship||25% of tuition fee|
|Anglia Ruskin University||International Excellence Scholarship||£4000 (₱265,856)|
|Middlesex University||International Merit Award||£2000 (₱132,928) for tuition fee|
|University of Stirling||International Undergraduate Scholarship||£2000 (₱132,928) per year for tuition fee|
|University of Stirling||Postgraduate International Excellence Scholarship||£4000 (₱265,856) for the first year|
|St Mary’s Twickenham London||St Mary’s International UG Scholarship||£3000 (₱199,392) for the first year|
|St Mary’s Twickenham London||St Mary’s International PG Taught Scholarship||£1500 – £2000 (₱99696 – ₱132,928) for the first year|
How to Apply for UK Scholarships?
UK Scholarships for Filipino Students are easy to apply to once you have been accepted by one of the universities in the UK. Here’s the step-by-step guide to applying for UK scholarships:-
- Get an offer letter for a full-time course from one of the universities in the UK.
- Check which scholarships are suitable for you — university-specific or funded by the government.
- If your university has UK scholarships for Filipino students, chances are that you will get funded without much competition.
- Go to the scholarship website to know the details- awards, application deadlines, eligibility, etc.
- Write a personal statement of 500 words stating why you are a perfect candidate for this scholarship.
- Submit your scholarship application along with all the important documents before the deadline.
- You must apply for the scholarship before you start your UK Tier-4 visa application.
Note that UK Scholarships for Filipino students on merit are nominated directly by the admissions committee of the particular university.
Scholarships can make your study in UK memorable and make your future glorious. UK Scholarships for Filipino students are great opportunities for the Philippines’ international relations. Therefore, avoid all kinds of mistakes while applying for scholarships or just connect with Leverage Edu experts at 1800572000 and we help you choose the right-fit scholarship.