Canada is an excellent option to consider for a PhD Degree. A PhD degree is a costly yet worthwhile investment. However, it is difficult for students to choose the right and affordable country to pursue a PhD. It is a well-known fact that Canada is among the most preferred study destinations in the world. PhD in Canada is a lot more affordable than in other countries like the US or the UK. To make it more affordable for international students who are excellent in their academics, the Canadian Government offers a lot of PhD scholarships. This blog includes everything you need to know about the PhD Scholarships in Canada.
Have you heard about the popular Leverage Edu scholarship worth INR 7,00,00,000? Yes, you read it right, Leverage Edu is offering an overseas scholarship worth INR 7 Cr exclusively for Indian students. Apply now!
This Blog Includes:
- Why Study PhD in Canada?
- PhD Funding in Canada
- Know the Admission Requirements
- PhD Scholarships in Canada for International Students
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
- The University of British Columbia Four-Year Doctoral Fellowship
- Ontario Trillium Scholarship
- The Ontario Graduate Scholarship
- University of Calgary Graduate Scholarships
- The University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowship
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
- The Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships
Why Study PhD in Canada?
Canada is home to many universities that rank among the top 100 universities in the world. It provides students from around the world with excellent academic and research facilities.
PhD students are paid during their PhD studies. However, in Canada, students can work for up to 10 hours a week and stay for up to 3 years after completing their PhD studies in Canada using the post-graduation work permit.
PhD in top countries like the US or the UK is a bit expensive. While in Canada, tuition fees for pursuing a PhD are quite affordable, ranging from CAD 6,000 to 30,000 (INR 3.58 lacs -17.94 Lacs).
Scholarships and Grants
Canada offers a variety of scholarships to highly qualified international students who want to pursue any doctoral degree in a Canadian University.
PhD Funding in Canada
Before discussing PhD scholarships in Canada, let’s take a look at the means of funding available to PhD students.
- Canada offers student loans, but these are mostly available to Canadian citizens or other students with a PR (Permanent Residence) in Canada only.
- You can expect some funding options to vary for different universities in different states. This variation is because Canada is divided into 10 provinces that are allowed to determine their own educational policies.
- Some universities in Canada impose funding for PhD students so that everyone pursuing a PhD program can be provided with a minimum amount of support either by their graduate school, department or research group.
Know the Admission Requirements
The eligibility requirements for obtaining a PhD Degree may vary for different courses and universities in Canada. Mentioned below are the general admission requirements for students who are considering Canada for their PhD studies:
- The students must have obtained a master’s degree in a related field. The degree must come with good grades and demonstrate the student’s research ability and potential.
- Proof of English Language Proficiency is a must. The student must take English Language Proficiency tests such as IELTS, PTE or TOEFL to prove their English proficiency.
- The student must obtain an excellent score in graduate admissions tests such as the GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) or GRE ( Graduate Record Examination).
Join Leverage Live to score high in English Language Tests such as IELTS TOEFL PTE.
PhD Scholarships in Canada for International Students
Mentioned below is a list of PhD Scholarships in Canada offered by the Canadian Government to international students:
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships are awarded to international and native students who are highly qualified in the following fields:
- Social sciences
- Natural sciences
Award Grant: CAD 50,000 (INR 29.791 Lacs) per year
The University of British Columbia Four-Year Doctoral Fellowship
The University of British Columbia offers this scholarship to excellent international and home students who are pursuing a PhD Degree. The scholarship is fully funded, and students are also provided with a yearly stipend of at least CAD 18,200 (INR 10.88 Lacs).
Ontario Trillium Scholarship
The University of Waterloo offers the Ontario Trillium Scholarship to international students who hold a valid Canadian study permit who have achieved a minimum of 80% in each of their last 2 years of full-time study. The student must be registered in a full-time degree-granting program in any Faculty to be eligible for this PhD scholarship in Canada.
Award Grant: CAD 40,000 (INR 23.93 lacs)
The Ontario Graduate Scholarship
This scholarship is offered to international and home students in all disciplines who have attended any one of the following universities in Ontario:
- Brock University
- Carleton University
- University of Guelph
- Lakehead University
- Laurentian University
- McMaster University
- Nipissing University
- OCAD University
- University of Ontario Institute of Technology
- University of Ottawa
- Queen’s University
- Ryerson University
- University of Toronto
- Trent University
- University of Waterloo
- Western University
- Wilfrid Laurier University
- University of Windsor
- York University
Award Grant: CAD 5,000 (INR 2.97 Lakhs) per term
University of Calgary Graduate Scholarships
The University of Calgary offers a Doctoral Recruitment scholarship that is available for international and home students who meet the eligibility criteria set by the University.
Award Grant: CAD 12,000 to CAD 35,000 (INR 7.17 lacs- 20.94 lacs)
The University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowship
This PhD scholarship in Canada is open to students from all nationalities. The scholarship is valued for a period of 12 months.
Award Grant: CAD 18,000 (INR 10.76 lacs)
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
Doctoral students who possess high qualifications are eligible for these scholarships. The awarded grant is paid for 3 years of doctoral study.
Award Grant: CAD 50,000 per year (INR 29.91 Lakhs)
The Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships
The University of Waterloo offers the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships to international students enrolled in a doctoral program at a Canadian institution. The student must be already enrolled in a 2-3 year doctoral program in the following subjects:
In order to apply for this PhD scholarship in Canada, the doctoral work done by the student must be related to the following:
- Human Rights and Dignity
- Responsible Citizenship
- Canada and the World
- People and their Natural Environment
Award Grant: The scholarship includes he following awarded for up to 3 years of study:
- CAD 40,000 (INR 23.92 Lacs) per year to cover tuition and reasonable living expenses
- CAD 20,000 (INR 11.96 Lacs) per year as a research and travel allowance
Ans. A PhD Program in Canada is 4-6 years long.
Ans. An overall score of 6.5 with no components less than 5.0 is the minimum IELTS requirement to study PhD in Canada.
Ans. A PhD student who has been awarded a funded scholarship cannot work for more than 10 hours a week.
We hope that this blog helped you explore PhD scholarships available in Canada for Indian students. If finding the right scholarship still confuses you, feel free to call our Leverage Edu experts. We are here to help you select the best scholarship and funding options available to finance your dream of pursuing a PhD abroad! Sign up for a free career counselling session with us today. Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute counselling session.