Canada is every type of photographer’s paradise because of its impressive wildlife, modern architecture, and upbeat lifestyle. The country is home to beautiful scenic landscapes, the famous Northern lights, and the world’s largest coastlines. It only makes sense that photography enthusiasts seek to complete their professional training in this wonderful country. Cultivating a career in photography in Canada has tremendous perks such as high salaries, work-life balance, and an opportunity to travel across the country. The country also offers a range of photography courses that can help you turn your passion into a profitable career in no time!
This Blog Includes:
Why Study Photography in Canada?
Canada is the country that allows people to pursue their passion in nearly every field possible. The impeccable work-life balance which is promoted here allows Canadians to be some of the happiest people in the world. Photographers in Canada often get paid better than in the UK, Europe, and Asia. The market of photographers is currently facing a demand deficit. This means that the demand for professional photographers is much higher than their supply. Canada provides great opportunities to explore your niche and pick the industry you want to work in fashion, travel, editorial, etc. The quality of education in Canada is based on the ‘learn by doing model.
Check Out: Film Direction Course
Various Photography Courses
Canada allows various study levels for all kinds of courses. Photography courses are available to be studied at the Bachelor’s level and also at a post-graduate level. Some of the most sought-after photography courses are listed below-
- Diploma in Photography: Diploma in Photography in Canada helps students learn the proper usage of cameras, lighting and editing software as well. Hands-on assignments allow students to have a strong foundation and prepare them for the best jobs in the industry.
- Advanced Graduate Certificate in Photography: This program helps students in expanding their skills and work as professional photographers in the expanding media industry. Post-production and advanced photography skills are a part of the course.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Photography: This is a four-year program that allows students to learn everything from scratch and helps them have a more artistic approach. An experimental vision to explore a broad range of issues and styles is promoted.
- Certificate in Photography and Videography: The certificate in photography and videography is a course that helps develop photography skills while focusing on videography as well. This course focuses primarily on commercial photography.
- Certificate in Photo Arts: The students begin this course by learning the principles of photography and utilising historical techniques in a modern way.
Check Out: Famous Art Colleges
- Must be above the age of 16 and have passed their secondary board examination with a minimum of 60-70% (can be more depending on the college).
- IELTS score of 6 or more in all sections
- 60% or more in English in grade 12.
- Basic knowledge of camera operation
- Some level of photography experience
- Portfolio to showcase your level of skill
UBC International Leader of Tomorrow Award
Best Universities and Colleges
There are a number of different colleges and universities which offer photography courses in Canada. Some of the best are:
|Sheridan College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning||Oakville|
|Emily Carr University of Art and Design||Victoria|
|Centennial College of Applied Arts and Technology||Ottawa|
|Humber Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning||Toronto|
|University of Calgary||Calgary|
Top Canadian Universities and their Photography Clubs
Canada’s most popular universities like the University of Toronto, McGill University, University of British Columbia, University of Calgary, University of Waterloo, University of Ottawa have outstanding photography clubs that you can join while pursuing your degree in a different specialization. This is a great way to hone your skills, build your portfolio as well as gain some professional experience in diverse types of photography. These clubs hold competitions and instill a sense of competition that can help you strengthen your skills and experiment with your abilities.
- UBC Photographic Society
- UW Photo Club
- Hart House Camera Club
- McGill University Photography Students’ Society (MUPSS)
- University of Ottawa Photography Club
Make Your Scores Skyrocket with Leverage Live Experts
The average fee, based on the study level, varies greatly. At the bachelor’s level, the fee could range between CAD 50,000-100,000 which comes to approximately INR 30,00,000-60,00,000 for the entire course. On the postgraduate level, the fee could range between CAD 30,000-50,000 which approximately comes to INR 10,00,000-30,00,000 for the entire course duration.
Scope and Average Salary
Depending upon the industry you choose to work in, the salary will vary greatly. However, with experience and expertise, moving up is very easy. The starting salary for photography graduates in Canada is typically CAD 30,000-50,000. Freelance and contract work pays an hourly wage which goes to CAD 30-50 per hour. This continues to go higher with increasing experience in the industry.
The boom in advertising, media, and the fashion industry has caused photography to emerge as a very lucrative career option in Canada. Something that was previously just regarded as a hobby is now emerging as a very in-demand professional career.
Upcoming Intakes in Canada for 2022-2023
There are a number of different sub-industries that will employ people who have pursued photography courses in Canada. Some of the job profiles popular amongst photography graduates are:
- Digital Imaging or Photo Editing Technician
- Fashion Photographer
- Event Photographer
- Freelance Photographer
How to Apply Canadian Study Permit?
The experts at Leverage Edu are here to help you through the entire process of applying to your favorite photography courses in Canada- from the course selection to your arrival and settlement there. Just give us a call at 1800 572 000 and avail of the free counseling session!