Canada has emerged as a popular study destination for Indian students who want to pursue higher studies abroad. It is known for its quality education and employability, which is no wonder why more than 1 lakh Indian students choose to go to Canada for higher education every year. A PhD Degree in Canada is more affordable in comparison to that in popular study destinations like the UK or the US. More than 90 universities in Canada offer PhD Programs to international students, and it takes around 3-6 years to complete. It becomes a lot easier for Indian students to manage their expenses if they receive any kind of scholarship. But most of the scholarships are partially funded, so students tend to look for fully-funded programs. If you are also looking for a fully-funded PhD Program in Canada, then you are at the right place. Read the blog to know about the fully-funded PhD Programs offered in Canada.
This Blog Includes:
Why Study PhD in Canada?
- Top-Class Universities: Many universities in Canada have been ranked among the top universities in the world. Canadian Universities are well known for excellent academic and research facilities.
- Work Opportunities: PhD students are already paid a stipend every year as they contribute to their respective field of study throughout their PhD course. However, not many students know that PhD Students in Canada can do a part-time job for 10 hours a week and stay for up to 3 years through Post Graduation Work Permit after completing their studies.
- Affordable: The tuition fee of pursuing a PhD in Canada ranges from CAD 6,000 to 30,000 (INR 3-17Lakhs). Compared to other countries such as the UK or the US, it is a lot more affordable.
- Financial Aid: There is a wide range of financial aid, i.e. scholarships and grants for international students who want to pursue a doctoral program in Canada.
Have you heard about the popular Leverage Edu scholarship worth INR 5,00,000! CHECK OUT HERE
Are you eligible?
To pursue a doctoral degree, you must first be able to fulfil the eligibility criteria set by the Universities offering the same. Eligibility requirements may vary for different courses, given below is the general eligibility criteria you must meet to pursue a PhD in Canada:
- A postgraduate degree in a related field with good grades.
- English Language Proficiency proof through English Language Tests such as IELTS and TOEFL.
- Good scores in GMAT or GRE, if required.
Join Leverage Live to score high in English Language Tests such as IELTS and TOEFL.
Fully-Funded PhD Programs
The Canadian Government provides international students with a lot of scholarships for every degree. Mentioned below are the fully-funded PhD Programs offered by the Canadian Government:
Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
These fully-funded PhD Programs are offered to international students and home students every year. These are offered to students who are pursuing the following:
- Health research
- Natural sciences
- Social sciences and humanities
Award Grant: CAD 70,000 (INR 41.45 Lakhs) per year
NSERC Postgraduate scholarships
These scholarships are offered to international students for up to 3 years who are pursuing a PhD in the following:
- Natural Sciences
Award Grant: CAD 21,000 (INR 12.43 Lakhs) per year
Anne Vallee Ecological Fund
This scholarship is offered to international students who are pursuing a PhD program in Animal Research at any of the following:
- University of British Columbia
- A recognised Canadian university in Quebec
Award Grant: CAD 1,500 (INR 88,840)
Trudeau Scholarships and Fellowships
These scholarships are offered to international students pursuing any PhD program in Canada. Every year more than 12 scholarships are awarded to students with an award grant of CAD 60,000 (INR 35.53 Lakhs).
McGill University Scholarships and Student Aid
These fully-funded scholarships are awarded to international students enrolled in doctoral programs at McGill University. The scholarships are valued between CAD 3,000 and CAD 12,000 (INR 1.77-7.10 Lakhs).
Career Opportunities after pursuing a PhD in Canada
There are a variety of career opportunities based on the chosen field of study after pursuing a PhD in Canada. Mentioned below are some of the popular job profiles along with their average salary for PhD students in Canada:
|Job Profile||Average Salary|
|R&D Director||CAD 110,757 (INR 65.59 Lakhs)|
|Research Scientist||CAD 69,511 (INR 41.16 Lakhs)|
|Postdoctoral Research Associate||CAD 48,000 (INR 28.42 Lakhs)|
|Research Engineer||CAD 119,315 (INR 70.66 Lakh)|
|Principal Scientist||CAD 100,263 (INR 59.38 Lakhs )|
Some of the popular PhD courses or subjects in Canada for international students are Natural Sciences, Mathematics, Social Sciences, Humanities, Medicine & Health, Business & Management, Engineering and Computer Science.
Canadian Universities have 3 intakes i.e Winter- January, Fall- September, and Summer- May.
The acceptance rate at the University of Waterloo is 53%.
If you are looking for a fully funded PhD program in Canada but are confused with the admission process, get in touch with our experienced counsellors at Leverage Edu on 1800572000. They’ll guide you throughout the process of selecting the best PhD program and university that will equip you with the right exposure to kick-start your career.