Amongst the sought-after engineering branches, Civil engineering corresponds to the study of design, development as well as maintenance of physical and natural infrastructure. It encompasses everything from the development and construction of countrywide railway networks or dams for big power projects. It can also be a work to construct highways or projects of small scale. For those planning to pursue higher studies in this field and aim to explore a career in research, then a doctoral degree in civil engineering is the best one to opt for. Through this blog, we have collated a comprehensive guide on PhD in Civil Engineering, its course details, top universities, career scope and much more.
|Full-Form||Doctor of Philosophy in Civil Engineering|
|Average Course Fee||INR 19,000 to INR 73,000|
|Entrance Exam||GATE, NET, VITMEE, ITM NEST|
|Average Salary||INR 2,00,000 to INR 9,00,000|
|Best Institute in India||Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IITM)|
Check Out: Civil Engineering vs Architecture
This Blog Includes:
- What is a PhD in Civil Engineering?
- PhD Programs in Civil Engineering
- PhD in Civil Engineering Syllabus
- PhD in Civil Engineering Specializations
- Top Colleges for PhD in Civil Engineering in India
- Top Universities for PhD in Civil Engineering Abroad
- PhD in Civil Engineering Eligibility
- PhD in Civil Engineering Entrance Exams
- PhD in Civil Engineering Scholarships
- PhD in Civil Engineering Jobs and Salary
What is a PhD in Civil Engineering?
Commonly offered as a three to five-year doctoral degree program, a PhD in Civil Engineering is a research-oriented course which explores the advanced level concepts of Civil Engineering and encourages scholars to actively take part in research projects. Further, students are needed to opt for a specialization in Civil Engineering which they will be exploring in detail through research projects. Some of the popular types of Civil Engineering specialisations offered under the doctorate course include Geotechnical Engineering, Structural Engineering, Water Resource Engineering, Environmental Engineering, etc.
PhD Programs in Civil Engineering
There are numerous course variants available for PhD in Civil Engineering as there are several specialisations under this domain which you can choose from. Here are some of the major PhD programs in Civil Engineering offered around the world:
|Doctor of Philosophy in Geotechnical Engineering||Doctor of Philosophy in Ground Engineering and Engineering Geosciences||Doctor of Philosophy in Geotechnical and Engineering Geology|
|Doctor of Philosophy in Structural Engineering||Doctor of Philosophy in Geosensing Systems Engineering and Sciences||Building Designs, Buildings and Constructions – the Theory of Buildings and Structures.|
|Doctor of Philosophy in Civil and Environmental Engineering||Doctor of Philosophy in Civil Engineering – Computing and Systems||Doctor of Philosophy in Urban Planning|
|Doctor of Philosophy in Biomechanical Engineering||Doctor of Philosophy in Built Environment||Doctor of Philosophy in City and Regional Planning|
|Doctor of Philosophy in Civil and Environmental Engineering – Construction Engineering and Management||Doctor of Philosophy in Civil Engineering and Surveying||Landscape Architecture and Environmental Planning, PhD|
|Doctor of Philosophy in Intelligent Infrastructure||Doctor of Philosophy in Territorial Engineering||Numerical study of complex fluid-structure interaction, PhD|
PhD in Civil Engineering Syllabus
While the actual course offerings might vary as per your chosen specialization for a PhD in Civil Engineering, here are some of the commonly covered subjects you will come across while studying this course:
|Mechanics||Steel Structures||Hydrology and Irrigation|
|Structural Analysis||Concrete Structures||Fundamentals of Ecology, Wastewater Techniques, Ecosystem and Environment|
|Soil Mechanics||Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulics||Presenting and Defending Research Thesis|
PhD in Civil Engineering Specializations
Students to wish to pursue their PhD in civil engineering can choose from various specifications offered abroad and in India.
- Construction Management
- Environmental Engineer
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
- Water Resources Engineering
Top Colleges for PhD in Civil Engineering in India
There are many colleges in India that offer specializations for PhD in civil engineering. Here are a few of the top colleges in India.
- Amity University, Lucknow
- Chandigarh University (CU)
- IIT Kanpur – Indian Institute of Technology
- Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati
- Indian Institute of Technology, Hyderabad
- National Institute of Technology Karnataka, Surathkal
- LPU – Lovely Professional University
- IIT Bombay
Top Universities for PhD in Civil Engineering Abroad
Numerous universities across the globe offer PhD degrees in Civil Engineering with a host of specialisations on offer. Below we have enlisted the top universities providing sought-after doctorate degrees in Civil Engineering with best research opportunities on offer:
- University College London (UCL)
- University of Lincoln
- The University of New Mexico
- University of California, Berkeley
- University of Houston
- The Ohio State University
- Texas A and M University
- Budapest University of Technology and Economics
- The University of New South Wales
- University of Strathclyde
PhD in Civil Engineering Eligibility
In order to apply for a PhD in Civil Engineering, there are certain prerequisites you need to keep in mind to be eligible for this course. The actual course requirements are bound to differ as per the program and university so below is a rundown of the common eligibility criteria you must know about:
- While applying for a PhD degree in Civil Engineering at a particular university, the student needs to provide details pertaining to their research project as well as the professor or scholar you wish to work with.
- The candidate must have completed a master’s degree in Civil Engineering or any of its specialisations with the minimum marks specified by their chosen university.
- In India, many universities require students to appear for entrance exams like GATE, UGC NET, AISECT, UEE, etc. to apply for PhD courses in Engineering.
- If you are planning to study this doctoral program, you need to provide GRE scores along with language proficiency scores of IELTS/TOEFL/PTE, etc.
PhD in Civil Engineering Entrance Exams
If you are planning to pursue PhD in civil engineering, some universities require students to clear entrance exams. Some of the popular entrance exams are as follows:
- UGC NET
- ITM NEST
PhD in Civil Engineering Scholarships
Here are a few scholarships for students who wish to pursue their PhD in Civil Engineering.
- NCERT Doctoral Fellowship
- Prime Minister Fellowship for Doctoral Research
- Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral Research Fellowships
- PMRF- Prime Ministers Research Fellowship
PhD in Civil Engineering Jobs and Salary
PhD in civil engineering is a career-oriented course and opens many job opportunities for those who are inclined to research and related fields. The average salary of a civil engineer with a PhD is INR 2 to 9 lakh and can increase if the person is more skilled and experienced than other prospective employees.
The duration of PhD in civil engineering is 4-5 years
In India, IIT Bombay, JMI are among the top-ranked colleges while UCL and the University of Lincoln are the best for PhD in civil engineering abroad.
Yes, you can study PhD after BTech from India as well as abroad.
It depends upon your skills and knowledge. However, it ranges between 4,00,000 – 11,00,000 per annum.
Some of the popular entrance exams are NET, GATE.
Thus, we hope that this blog helped you explore the key course details of a PhD in Civil Engineering. Are you aiming to pursue your PhD in Engineering abroad? Our Leverage Edu experts are here to assist you in selecting the best course and university as per your interests and aspirations! Sign up for a free career counselling session today!