Every organization these days looks for dynamic professionals with specialized skillset. If your graduation does not give you an edge over other candidates, you can opt for advancing career options in your chosen field of interest. A PhD in Education will help you to conduct world-changing research that can easily address key issues in social justice and enable educational change. Lasting for a duration of 3 to 5-years, a PhD is a doctoral degree with an academic focus. Continue reading the blog to analyse the different aspects of a PhD program.
This Blog Includes:
Why PhD in Education?
If you’re considering to pursue a PhD, you might be wondering whether it is worth your time and effort. So, to help you with this, we have listed down some effective pointers that will allow you to make a concise decision.
- Make a Contribution Towards your Chosen Field: Pursuing a PhD in Education can provide students with an opportunity to research and work on important discoveries in several fields. If your thesis and findings are strong enough and relevant, there is a possibility that your research can be used as references for future students.
- Improving and Challenging Knowledge: Pursuing a PhD gives a chance to challenge yourself and think beyond the books. Therefore, it offers students the choice of selecting their own research in their own style.
- Long Term Career Goals: For students who are planning to pursue a career in academia, a PhD in Education is the perfect choice when looking forward to building a long-term goal. Moreover, the teaching profession gives an added advantage to constantly brushing up your basics.
- Demonstration of Intellectual Potential: PhD programs are extremely helpful in terms of establishing your individual capabilities through independent research work in a specific area.
What is a PhD in Education?
PhD in Education majorly focuses on fundamentals of leadership, special education, technology design and teaching development. The coursework emphasis on the research capacity of the students from various backgrounds and provide a strong knowledge and experience in areas such as education policy, planning, administration and supervision. Scholars have the opportunity to learn the foundation of literacy, various trends and issues in learning and socio-cultural process in education. While students are working on their doctoral dissertations, they are provided with a faculty advisor for guidance and support throughout their research.
The degree aims at experienced educational professionals and strikes to embrace the knowledge, understanding and awareness of organisational, philosophical, political, managerial, social, technical and interpersonal dimensions of educational institutions. Moreover, a PhD in Education meets the need for the highest levels of professional growth and training of both the teachers and those associated with educational policy and administration.
Here is a list of some of the most important sub-sections covered in PhD in Education:[optin-monster-shortcode id=”xf2mlnjiouddzrshykdb”]
- Education and Development
- Educational Management
- Educational Policy and Planning
- Research Methodologies and Statistics
To get admission in any of the top universities for PhD in Education, the applicants must meet the following requirement:
- Honours degree (or equivalent) in relevant subject from a recognised university
- Advanced master’s degree like MA, MEd or MPhil in education or related field.
- English-language proficiency tests like IELTS, TOEFL or PTE.
- GRE General Test
- Relevant professional experience in education or related sector.
Best Universities Offering PhD in Education
There are several prestigious institutes across the world, offering excellent PhD courses across several disciplines. Below-listed are some of the prominent colleges extending quality education along with providing essential skills and exposure to the realms of education.
- University of Oxford
- The University of Edinburgh
- University of Washington
- King’s College London
- McGill University
- National University of Singapore
- The University of Queensland
- The University of Manchester
For those aspiring to become university professors or researchers in various field are required to have a PhD in Education for employment. Also, doctoral candidates have to submit a thesis or project that comprises of their original research work in the concluding months of the course. After successful completion of the program, students are awarded the academic title of ‘doctor’.
If you’re passionate about the field of education and want to launch your academic career with a PhD in Education, you can reach out to our counsellors at Leverage Edu and choose the right place to study abroad.