A PhD or Doctor of Philosophy is the highest level of academic research degree you would want to obtain. It takes about 3-4 years to complete a full-time PhD degree. The Netherlands is one such country that offers PhD degrees in various subjects. It is home to some of the top universities for international students. The Netherlands attracts students from around the world because of its high standard of living. Science and business Degrees are the most popular courses here. This blog includes the top universities in the Netherlands, top PhD courses, eligibility criteria, admission process and more.
Also Read: PhD Admissions
|PhD||Doctor of Philosophy|
|Tuition Fee||EUR 6,000- EUR 20,000 per year|
|Stipend||EUR 2,266 – EUR 2,897 per month|
This Blog Includes:
Why study PhD in the Netherlands?
- Affordable tuition fee is one of the top reasons why international students choose the Netherlands for higher studies. Public Universities in the Netherlands are much more affordable for international students than in the USA or the UK. The average tuition fees for a PhD degree ranges from EUR 6,000 – EUR 20,000 (~INR 5 – 17 Lakhs).
- You get work flexibility as the Netherlands is one of the countries with a 4-days a week work culture.
- The Netherlands is the best when it comes to a high standard of living, which makes it a happy and enjoyable place.
Top 10 Universities for PhD in the Netherlands
The table below mentions the top universities along with their rankings achieved by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2022 and QS World University Rankings 2022 in the Netherlands that offer PhD courses to international students:
|University||Times Higher Education 2022||QS World University Rankings 2022|
|Wageningen University and Research||#53||#123|
|University of Amsterdam||#65||#55|
|Erasmus University Rotterdam||#72||#179|
|Delft University of Technology (TU Delft)||#75||#57|
|University of Groningen||#80||#128|
|Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam||#115||#209|
Top Universities in the Netherlands
Top PhD Courses in the Netherlands
The table below depicts popular PhD Courses offered at the top universities in the Netherlands:
|University||Top PhD courses|
|University of Amsterdam||PhD in Science, Economics and Business|
|Leiden University||PhD in Computer Science, Chemistry and Mathematics|
|University of Groningen||PhD in Economics|
|Maastricht University||PhD in Psychology and Economics|
|Radboud University||PhD in Neuropsychology and Rehabilitation Psychology|
- A masters degree in a relevant subject, and
- Equivalent to that of the Netherlands from a recognised university
English Language Requirements
If you haven’t yet prepared for your IELTS exam, which is surely an important factor of studying abroad, join our Leverage Live classes and get trained by experts to score high.
- Official academic Transcripts including copies of secondary school diplomas, certificates and/or grade lists in English, French, German or Dutch
- Passport photocopy
- Updated CV/Resume
- English Language Proficiency Test Scores
- Letter of Recommendations
- A personal statement in English
- CV or resume (including two references)
- Motivation letter
- Sample of academic written work
How to apply?
You can call our Leverage Edu experts at 1800 572 000 to find out how the application process can be fast-tracked and streamlined to study in the Netherlands! Here’s a guide to give your application process a start:
- Call our Leverage Edu student counsellors at 1800 572 000 to shortlist your courses with the help of our trusted AI Course Finder and select the respective PhD Course.
- The next step is to gather and compile all your documents like SOPs, essays, certificates and LORs and exam scores like IELTS, TOEFL etc.
- After submitting your application and all the necessary documents, the experts will then start with the application process for accommodation, Student Visa and scholarships/student loans.
- It’s now time to wait for your offer letter, which can take around 4-6 weeks or more. Till then, start preparing to leave for the Netherlands.
Cost of Studying PhD in the Netherlands
The tuition cost for international students will vary as per the PhD Course selected by the students to study at the top universities in the Netherlands. The table given below highlights the average yearly tuition fees for PhD courses:
|Cost of studying||Average Tuition Per Year|
|PhD Courses||EUR 6000 – EUR 20,000(INR 5.09 – 16.98 Lakhs)|
*The tuition fee will vary for different PhD courses at different universities in the Netherlands. Get in touch with our experts to know the exact cost of studying or tuition fees for your chosen course.
Cost of Living
The table below mentions the average cost of studying in Holland, Netherlands for international students per month. Check out Leverage Edu’s Cost of Living Calculator to find out a detailed breakdown of living in different cities of the Netherlands.
|Living Expenses||Estimated Monthly Cost|
|Rent||EUR 325 – 500 (INR 27.5k)|
|Food, Grocerties||EUR 180 (INR 15.27k)|
|Study Material||EUR 50 (INR 4.24k)|
|Insurance||EUR 50 (INR 4.24k)|
|Clothes, Entertainment||EUR 100 (INR 8.48k)|
|Total Estimated Cost||EUR 705 – 880 (~INR 60k – 74.60k)|
Let’s Explore Student Life in the Netherlands
Social Sciences, Medical Sciences, Economics, Business and Psychology are some of the popular PhD courses to study in the Netherlands.
It will take about 4 years to complete a full-time PhD Course in the Netherlands.
PhD candidates are usually paid EUR 2,266 – EUR 2,897 (INR 19,000 – 24,000) per month.
This was all about PhD in the Netherlands. If you have any questions or need help with your study abroad admissions, you can talk to our experts at 1800572000.