Based in the Quebec province of Canada, McGill University is a research-based university, ranked among the most prestigious universities in Canada. Every year thousands of international students from around 150 countries in the world. It has more than 400 courses that are offered to UG, PG and Research students. Along with that, McGill University offers 5 types of degrees in Computer Science to students. Many students choose Computer Science at McGill University as it is one of the best research and teaching centres for Computer Science in Canada. If you are looking for a Computer Science Course, then you are at the right place. Read the whole blog to know about the courses offered in Computer Science at McGill University.
This Blog Includes:
- Why study Computer Science at McGill University?
- Courses Offered
- Program Requirements
- Admission Requirements
- How to apply for Computer Science at McGill University?
- Documents Required
- Cost of Studying
- Cost of Living
|University Name||McGill University|
|Location||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|QS World University Rankings 2022||#27|
|English Language Tests||IELTS, TOEFL iBT|
Why study Computer Science at McGill University?
Here are some of the popular reasons why International Students choose to study Computer Science at McGill University.
- McGill University is not only one of the top research universities in Canada but also one of the only Canadian Universities to rank among the Top 40 universities in the world (based on prestigious QS World University rankings).
- McGill University has professors that have received most of the top awards in Computer Science. So you’ll get a chance to get taught by top-notch professionals.
- Many alumni of McGill University have become top research and industry leaders.
- A graduate degree in computer science from McGill University is recognized as a proof of excellence in the industrial and academic field.
- McGill Computer Science currently stands #2 in Canada for its excellent research funding
McGill offers some of the best Computer Science programs for both undergraduate and postgraduate candidates. Here is a detailed list of them.
|Bachelor of Science (BSc)||4 Years|
|Bachelor of Arts and Science (B.A and SC)||4 Years|
|MSc Computer Science (Thesis and Non-Thesis)||1.5 – 2 Years|
|PhD Computer Science||3 – 4 Years|
The typical Major program offered by the School of Computer Science is this one. It gives a wide introduction to computer science fundamentals as well as enough opportunities to gain in-depth knowledge of numerous sub-disciplines. Its credit requirements, on the other hand, allow students to choose a second minor. Students may earn a minimum of 60 credits or a maximum of 63 credits depending on whether or not they are excused from COMP 202.
Required Courses (33 credits)
- COMP 202 Foundations of Programming (3 credits) *
- COMP 206 Introduction to Software Systems (3 credits)
- COMP 250 Introduction to Computer Science (3 credits)
- COMP 251 Algorithms and Data Structures (3 credits)
- COMP 273 Introduction to Computer Systems (3 credits)
- COMP 302 Programming Languages and Paradigms (3 credits)
- COMP 303 Software Design (3 credits)
- COMP 310 Operating Systems (3 credits)
- MATH 222 Calculus 3 (3 credits)
- MATH 223 Linear Algebra (3 credits)
- MATH 240 Discrete Structures (3 credits)
To pursue any of the above-mentioned programs in Computer Science from McGill University, you must be able to meet the admission requirements set by McGill University. Mentioned below are the eligibility requirements for taking admission:
Make sure you meet the following eligibility requirements before applying for admission to McGill University:
- The student have got a minimum of 75% – 85% in the following required prerequisites in their Class XI and XII:
- The student must have obtained a bachelor’s degree with a CGPA of 3.0 out of 4 or a GPA of 3.3 out of 4 in the last 2 years of their bachelor’s study in a related subject.
- Bachelor’s Degree must have been obtained from institutions/universities with a NAAC rating of A or internationally equivalent
- The student must have completed an Undergraduate degree with first division in a relevant field from an accredited institution.
- A Postgraduate Degree in a relevant field with first division from an accredited university.
- The students must submit a GRE Score of 309 or above.
English Language Requirements
|BSc Computer Science||6.5||90 with no components less than 21|
|MSc Computer Science||6.5||86 with no component less than 20|
|PhD Computer Science||6.5||86 with no component less than 20|
Join Leverage Live to score High in exams such as IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, GRE. Offered by Leverage Edu, Leverage Live is an A-class online preparatory class for popular competitive exams. In order to get high scores, you need to look for proper guidance, hence, through our interactive online classes, you can have one-on-one personalised sessions.
How to apply for Computer Science at McGill University?
A general step to step guide for applying at McGill University for UG, PG and PhD Programs:
UG and PG Programs
Step 1: Make sure you’re eligible
Check out the eligibility criteria to make sure if you are eligible or not.
Step 2: Get ready to apply
Prepare your academic documents
Step 3: Submit your application
Step 4: Apply for an entrance scholarship
Look for scholarships, bursaries or other funding opportunities.
Step 5: Submit documents
You’ll be informed through an email to let you know when to upload supporting documents if required.
Step 1: Read the Admission Requirements
Before applying, read and make sure that you meet the admission criteria set by the university. Also, gather all the necessary supporting documentation before filling the application form.
Step 2: Contact the Department
Before applying, you should contact the department offering your program i.e Department of Computer Science in this case to establish a relationship. The Graduate Program Coordinator/Administrator will then provide you with important information.
Step 3: Find a supervisor
Search and view faculty member profiles to locate potential supervisors with similar research interests as yours.
Step 4: Submit your application before the deadline
Mentioned below is a list of supporting documents required for the admission process at McGill University:
- High School Certificate/Mark Sheets/ Diplomas if any
- Graduation Certificate/Bachelor’s Degree
- Statement of Purpose
- Letter of Recommendation
- Letter of Acceptance
- Research Proposal if asked
- Language Test Scores: IELTS, TOEFL, GRE
- Proof of Financial Evidence
- Updated CV/Resume
Cost of Studying
Here is a brief breakdown of the average tuition fee for some of the Computer Science courses at McGill University.
|Program||Tuition Fee Per Annum|
|Bachelor of Science (BSc)||CAD 29, 539 (INR 17,54,523)|
|MSc Computer Science||CAD 11,442 – CAD 14,973 (INR 6,79,703 – INR 8,73,421)|
|PhD Computer Science||CAD 10,486 (INR 6,22,913)|
Cost of Living
The cost of living in Montreal, Canada as an International Student is around CAD 808 – CAD 1000 (INR 48,000 – INR 59,000) per month. Check out Leverage Edu’s Cost of Living Calculator for a detailed breakdown to manage the expenses as an international student in Montreal, Canada.
To encourage students from all over the world the University and the Canadian Government has various scholarships available for students. Some of these scholarships are:
|One-year Entrance Scholarship||CAD 3,000 (INR 1,78,214)|
|Dr Soo Kim Lan Entrance Scholarship||CAD 2,000 (INR 1,18,809)|
|McCall Macbain Prestige Entrance Scholarship||CAD 10,000 (INR 5,94,047)|
|Arthur and Crystal Lau Scholarships||CAD 2,000 (INR 1,18,809)|
|McGill Faculty Major Entrance Bursaries||CAD 10,000 (INR 5,94,047)|
These scholarships are only offered to international students who are getting admitted to McGill University as full-time students.
Have you heard about the popular Leverage Edu scholarship worth INR 5,00,000? Yes, you read it right, Leverage Edu is offering an overseas scholarship worth INR 5 Lakhs exclusively for Indian students. Apply now!
The non-refundable application fee at McGill University is CAD 156 (INR 9,000)
It takes around 24 – 48 hours to review a graduate application at McGill University.
The application deadline for PhD Computer Science at McGill University are mentioned below:
Fall Intake: 15 Feb 2022
Winter Intake: 1 Sep 2022
Are you planning to study Computer Science at McGill University? Reach out to our Leverage Edu’s experts. Our Leverage Edu experts will provide you with end-to-end assistance starting from your university application to the time you reach your university and commence your studies. Call us at 1800 57 2000 to book a FREE 30-minutes counselling session today.