After your 12th grade, do you want to work as a software developer in India? If so, we’ll walk you through the straightforward steps to learn how to become a software developer in India. Since software professionals earn the highest salaries, they are the best option. These software engineer positions do not discriminate based on gender.
Candidates who want to work as software developers must take courses in that area of study. So, if you want to become a software developer, you must enrol in the appropriate courses. In this article, you can find out more details about the requirements, the courses, the top colleges, the pay scale, and other topics. Additionally, the aspirants can benefit from these opportunities for careers as software developers.
|Eligibility||10+2 level with a minimum percentage from a recognized board|
|Average starting salary||INR 5.31 lakhs to INR 6 lakhs per annum|
|Job Opportunity||Google, Amazon, Facebook, Stripe, Netflix, Salesforce, Tesla, Apple, Cisco, Oracle, Snap, IBM etc|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2.50 LPA|
This Blog Includes:
- Who are Software Developers?
- Why You Should Become a Software Developer in India?
- Difference Between Software Developers and Software Engineers
- Eligibility Criteria
- Entrance Exams for Software Developers
- Types of Software Developers
- How to Become a Software Developer: Step-by-Step Guide
- Skills Required to Become a Software Developer
- Top Colleges for Software Development
- Different Courses in Software Development
- Salary of Software Developers in India
- Top Recruiters
Who are Software Developers?
The process of conceiving, specifying, designing, programming, documenting, testing, and bug-fixing that goes into developing and maintaining applications, frameworks, or other software components is carried out by software developers. In a broad sense, software development includes everything that is involved from the conception of the desired software through to the final manifestation of the software, sometimes in a planned and structured process. Software development is the process of writing and maintaining the source code.
The highest-paying profession is software development, which is not only a lucrative career path. Having said that, choosing this career path does not only depend on earning a good salary. Software developers are the inventive forces behind the creation of various computer applications that assist users in carrying out various tasks on computers.
Why You Should Become a Software Developer in India?
Below is a list of the main advantages of becoming a software developer for your information.
- Salary: This professional offers a competitive package per year. Most people want to become software developers, but some people just want a good salary. It is a respectable profession that requires dedication. With this profession, you can earn a competitive salary both in India and abroad.
- Job Security: This is a long-term position, and for greater job security, you can start your own business or company. In India, the employment rate is very high.
- Positive Career Impact: This career has a positive effect on a person’s life. Software developers receive high salaries. You can work for any private or public organisation. It will be relaxing for you to work there.
- Higher Education: After completing 10+2 there are a number of courses available. You can take courses at the bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels. Learning new things with others has no bounds.
- Great Experience: Students will have a distinctive and satisfying learning experience as you create the software to your specifications. You gain new knowledge, abilities, and experiences.
Must Read: How to Become an Information Architect in India?
Difference Between Software Developers and Software Engineers
Before digging into the process of how to become a Software Developer in India, let’s understand the basic difference between Software Developers and Software Engineers. The major differences are given in the following table.
|Software Developers||Software Engineers|
|What They Do||Write and test code to put theoretical product designs into practice.
Fix problems that arise during the development process by performing debugging.
|-High-level usage issues and issues with computer applications have architect solutions.
– Create scalable software systems and products.
– Create and test programmes
|Average Salary||₹ 4.8 Lakhs||₹ 5.6 Lakhs|
|Programming Languages||Python, Java, Ruby and Ruby on Rails, HTML, C#, and C++, and others||Programming language skills are comparable between engineers and developers.
|Frameworks and Libraries||Django, Flask, TurboGears, PyTorch, Ruby on Rails, Garden, Spring, Play, and others||Developers and engineers both have similar proficiency with frameworks and libraries|
|Who They Work With||Software engineers, testers, and QA specialists||End clients, software developers, cybersecurity specialists, nontechnical stakeholders|
The eligibility requirements must be checked by applicants before submitting an application for any position.
- Candidates must have earned at least 60% in the subjects of math, physics, and chemistry in their 12th-grade diploma from any reputable board.
- They must successfully complete all prerequisite courses from any college or university, including BE, B.Tech, and diploma programmes, without any outstanding debt.
- You must take an entrance exam like GATE if you want to pursue a postgraduate degree. To be eligible to apply for your dream job, you must receive at least a 70% of your M.Tech.
- There is no upper age limit for applying to jobs as a software developer in India.
Entrance Exams for Software Developers
The state and federal governments’ entrance exams are required of applicants who want to study engineering. Students can select colleges based on their entrance exam ranking. The UG level and PG level entrance exams are listed below.
|UG Level Exams||PG Level Exams|
Types of Software Developers
According to their area of employment and specialisation, the various types of software developers are listed below.
- Full Stack Developer
- Web Developer
- Desktop Developer
- Mobile Developer
- Graphics Developer.
- Game Developer
- Big Data Developer.
- Security Developer
- DevOps Developer
How to Become a Software Developer: Step-by-Step Guide
For your reference, the following list includes some of the necessary steps to become a software developer:
Obtaining the Necessary Degree
The first step in the process of becoming a software developer is obtaining a degree. Students who want to work as software developers must pursue an undergraduate degree in computer science or software engineering. One can pursue the course without prior knowledge of technology, but some of the course modules benefit from a head start. To be able to work as a full-time Software Developer for any company, one can choose to pursue an Associate Degree in Software Engineering in addition to an undergraduate degree.
Pick a Specialization
Step 2 is picking a specialization. Computer applications software or computer systems software is the typical speciality of a software developer. While systems software deals with tasks like file management, operating systems, etc., applications software enables users to carry out a specific task.
Get an internship
Along with having the necessary academic credentials, one must advance their career by developing a variety of skill sets that are essential for working as a software developer. Through internships, one can gain practical experience while also applying knowledge and concepts. Additionally, internships help you develop a solid resume that will ultimately help you get your first job in the software development sector. Additionally, having internships with multiple organisations enables you to decide clearly which organisations you want to work for.
There are a number of certifications, including Oracle Certified Java Programmer, Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer, etc., which prove to be incredibly helpful in both laying a rock-solid foundation and differentiating candidates during entry-level interviews.
Earn a Master’s Degree
A software developer can advance their career to become an information technology manager with time, who is primarily in charge of managing various software development projects. A Master’s degree in a relevant field is required for a position of this level. In order to succeed in the role and possess a remarkable capacity for multitasking, one can also pursue an MBA in technology management.
Skills Required to Become a Software Developer
For your reference, the following table lists the qualifications needed for a candidate to become a software developer:
|Problem-solving skills||Coding or programming skills||Time management skills|
|Teamwork||Communication skills||Decision making|
Must Read: How to Become a Business Manager in India?
Top Colleges for Software Development
Here are some of the top colleges in India which provide a course in software development. Check them out:
- Alagappa University, Karaikui
- SRM Engineering College
- Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University
- St. Xavier’s College
- Sri Ramakrishna Engineering College
- National Institute of Technology, Calicut
- Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi
- National Institute of Technology, Calicut
- National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
- Amity University
- College of Computer Science and Information Technology
- Delhi Technologies
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Ramanujan College, New Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
Different Courses in Software Development
The table below contains information about the software developer course, including its duration and estimated cost.
|Course Type||Fee Structure||Fee per Annum|
|Certificate Course||2 years||Rs. 10,000 to 50,000|
|Diploma||6 months||Rs. 40,000 to 80,000|
|Bachelor’s Degree||4 years||Rs. 1,00,000 to 3,00,000|
|Master’s Degree||2 years||Rs. 2,00,000 to 4,00,000|
|PhD||3 years||Rs. 20,000 to 80,000|
Salary of Software Developers in India
For your reference, the table below includes the average annual salary of a software developer as well as other various scales used to measure the salary structure.
|Name of the Company||Average Salary per year|
|0 to 1 year||4.60 lakhs|
|1 to 4 years||5 lakhs|
|5 to 9 years||12 lakhs|
|+9 years||20 to 40 lakhs|
There are numerous job opportunities for software developers for candidates who studied IT. The following are a few of the top businesses that hire people to work as software developers:
- MNCs like Amazon, Google, Cognizant, TCS, Facebook, Apple, Oracle, Cisco, Microsoft, etc
- IT Companies
- Non-IT Companies
Must Read: How to Become a Solution Architect in India?
Ans. The time it takes to become a software engineer can range from three months to four years, depending on your technical expertise, professional background, and chosen career path.
Ans. First, you should get a degree in computer science or a closely related subject. To start a career as a software engineer, you should have at least a bachelor’s degree. Your background in computer science will be the most helpful for creating software.
For those interested in learning how to become a software engineer after high school, a B. Tech in Software Engineering is a well-liked option. Software development, software design, software testing, and software maintenance are the main areas of study for this four-year undergraduate degree.
This was all about how to become a software developer in India. If you wish to know more about careers in India, subscribe to Leverage Edu. If you’re planning to study abroad, connect with our experts at 1800 57 2000 and book your 30-minute free consultation.