Ranked among the most prestigious universities in Canada, McGill University is a research-based university located in Quebec. McGill University welcomes thousands of international students from around 150 countries in the world. It offers more than 400 UG, PG and Research courses. Along with that, McGill University provides students with a number of scholarships to make it more affordable for deserving students to study in their dream University. Let’s explore McGill University scholarships for Indian students.
|University Name||McGill University|
|Location||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|QS World University Rankings 2022||#27|
|Intakes||Fall, Summer, Winter|
|English Language Tests||IELTS, TOEFL iBT|
This Blog Includes:
- Cost of Study & Living
- How to Apply for McGill University Scholarships?
- Scholarships for Specific Course
- How to Apply for In-Course Scholarships?
- McGill University International Entrance Scholarship
- Masters and Doctoral McGill Scholarships
- Other Applicable Scholarships
Cost of Study & Living
The cost of studying varies based on the course you select, so the tuition fees can range from US$21,006 – UD$56,544 (INR 15.20 lakh – INR 42 lakh) per annum for international students.
Getting an idea of an estimated or average amount of living in a particular country can definitely help international students manage and plan their budgets accordingly. However, it is quite difficult to come to an exact estimation because the cost of living depends on where you choose to live, how you choose to spend, travel and other expenses such as entertainment and food. But according to McGill University, the following mentioned will be the living costs for international students who choose to live on-campus and off-campus. You can check out Leverage Edu’s Cost of Living Calculator to find out a detailed breakdown of expenses in different cities in the world.
|US $39,405 – $87,840||US $33,400 – $83,386|
|INR 29 Lakh – 65 Lakhs)||INR 24 lakhs- INR 62 lakhs)|
There are a number of McGill Scholarships available for international students. McGill University offers several entrance based scholarships that are merit-based. While some McGill Scholarships may consider leadership qualities and skills.
McGill University UG Scholarships
To apply for McGill University Scholarships, you must first be able to meet the eligibility criteria set by the University. However, McGill University entrance based scholarships are purely based on academic merit but you must be enrolled in the university for the first time as a full-time international student.
|Scholarship Name||Awarded Grants|
|Major Entrance Scholarships||CAD 3,000 (INR 1,77,628)
CAD 5,000 (INR 2,96,048)
CAD 10,000 (INR 5,92,096)
CAD 12,000 (INR 7,10,515)
|One-year Entrance Scholarship||CAD 3,000 (INR 1,77,628)|
|Dr. Soo Kim Lan Entrance Scholarship||CAD 2,000 (INR 1,18,419)|
|MCCall Macbain Prestige Entrance Scholarship||CAD 10,000 (INR 5,92,096)|
|McGill Faculty Major Entrance Bursaries||CAD 10,000 (INR 5,92,096)|
|Arthur and Crystal Lau Scholarships||CAD 2,000 (INR 1,18,419)|
*No separate scholarship application is required for the One-Year Entrance Scholarship. All first-time university students entering a full-time undergraduate degree program are automatically considered for a one-year scholarship if they meet the minimum academic requirements set by McGill University. However, you are not guaranteed a scholarship even if you meet the required standards.
How to Apply for McGill University Scholarships?
- After you submit your application for admission to McGill, you will receive an email acknowledging your application. This email will provide you with your:
- McGill ID number
- PIN used to log on to Minerva
- Log on to Minerva and go to Applicant > Apply for Major Undergraduate Entrance Scholarship. Here is a sample preview of the application form (PDF).
- You will be prompted to provide specific information which may include some or all of the following:
- A factual list of your school activities and community/volunteer involvement for the last three academic years (including athletic/artistic and other activities)
- A general essay either on a contemporary or historical figure that influenced/inspired you or on a memorable event/experience which provided you with a new outlook on life
- A one-page letter of reference that you have written – for yourself – in the third person
- Concerning grades and transcripts, please see McGill’s Admission site.
- For international students, you will upload all your transcripts to Minerva.
- Your referees or school administrator must email your reference letters (and statements of rank, only if available) to email@example.com (and quote your McGill ID number). These documents must be:
- typed on official letterhead stationery
- duly signed and converted to PDF
Important Things to Remember
- Applications for major scholarships are reviewed by members of the selection committees that determine the finalists. Finalists may be required to attend an interview.
- Students who apply for a scholarship, but do not receive a major scholarship will automatically be considered for a one-year scholarship. No additional application is required for the same.
Scholarships for Specific Course
Different faculties at McGill University offer Scholarships to in-course or continuing students, but keep in mind that the selection will be based on the following mentioned criteria:
- A combined GPA of the Fall and Winter semesters will be considered.
- Must be enrolled in program’s content
- The student must have completed at least 27 graded credits.
Also Read: Universities in Canada Accepting Low GPA
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering or the Department of Mechanical Engineering
|CAE Scholarship in Engineering Excellence||CAD 2,000 (INR 119101)|
Faculty of Arts
|Hope Barrington Scholarship||CAD 2,000 (INR 119101)|
Faculty of Engineering
|Leslie Family Scholarship in Engineering||CAD 2,700 (INR 160784)|
How to Apply for In-Course Scholarships?
To apply for the In-Course Scholarships, go to Minerva:
- Select the Financial Aid/Awards tab > Financial Aid Menu > Apply for McGill Financial Aid > Apply for In-Course Financial Aid > Update your financial aid profile > Submit your application.
- You will be prompted to make an appointment with a Financial Aid Counselor. During this meeting, not only will you have an opportunity to discuss your budget, but you will also have your in-course application reviewed in detail.
McGill University International Entrance Scholarship
These scholarships are offered to students who are pursuing a full-time MBA program at McGill University. To be eligible for the McGill University International Entrance Scholarship for MBA students, you must be able to meet the following mentioned criteria:
- You must score good in English Language proficiency tests such as IELTS and TOEFL. A minimum IELTS score of 7.0 and a TOEFL score of 100
- You must have a minimum of 2-years of full-time work experience after obtaining a relevant undergraduate degree
- You will be required to provide 2 professional LORs
- Join Leverage Live to score High in exams such as IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, GRE. Offered by Leverage Edu, Leverage Live is an A-class online preparatory class for popular competitive exams. In order to get high scores, you need to look for proper guidance, hence, through our interactive online classes, you can have one-on-one personalized sessions
- The selection for McGill University International Entrance Scholarship will be based on:
- Academic Excellence
- Proof of Financial need
- Community Involvement
- Demonstrated Leadership Skills
The table below mentions the scholarships along with the number of grants in Canadian Dollars.:
|Scholarship Name||Awarded Grant|
|Adam Dinkes MBA Leadership Award||CAD 10,000 (INR 5,92,096)|
|Duerksen MBA Leadership Award||CAD 10,000 (INR 5,92,096)|
|Daniel Galvao MBA Leadership||CAD 10,000 (INR 5,92,096)|
|Mandri-Muggenburg Family MBA Leadership Award||CAD 10,000 (INR 5,92,096)|
|Scotiabank Fellowship||CAD 5,000 (INR 2,96,048)|
|Explore MBA Leadership Award||CAD 10,000 (INR 5,92,096)|
|Kelly Family MBA Leadership Award||CAD 20,000 (INR 11,84,192)|
|Reckziegel Family Leadership Award||CAD 10,000 (INR 5,92,096)|
|Sandhya and Swati Sharma MBA Leadership Award||CAD 10,000 (INR 5,92,096)|
|Teitelbaum Family MBA Leadership Award||CAD 20,000 (INR 11,84,192)|
Masters and Doctoral McGill Scholarships
McGill University offers course-based scholarships to students. To be eligible for the following mentioned McGill Scholarships, you must be able to meet the following requirements:
- You must be a postgraduate student enrolled in a full-time master or doctoral program at McGill University.
- You must demonstrate excellent academic performance.
- You must be able to demonstrate financial requirements/needs.
- You must submit an academic progress and funding report.
- If you’ve submitted evidence of financial capability at the time of the Canadian student visa process, then you will not be considered for the scholarships in the initial year of the program.
|Scholarship Name||Awarded Grants|
|Norbert Schoenauer And David Farley Fellowship In Architecture, Faculty of Architecture||CAD 4,000 (INR 2,36,838)|
|Lionel Pelham Kent Scholarship, Faculty of Management||CAD 2,500(INR 1,48,024)|
|Lorne Trottier Engineering Graduate Fellowships, Faculty of Engineering||CAD 15,000 (INR 8,88,144)|
|Sheila Wellington BMO Financial Group Award, MBA||CAD 6,000 (INR 3,55,257)|
Other Applicable Scholarships
Doctoral and Masters students can opt for external scholarships that are offered by either the Canadian University or other foundations if they are unfortunately unable to receive any of the McGill Scholarships based on their programs. Students can apply for the following mentioned scholarships:
|Scholarship Name||Awarded Grants per year|
|Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships, Doctoral Study||CAD 5,000 (INR 2,96,048)|
|Ontario Graduate Scholarships, Masters and Doctoral Study||CAD 15,000 (INR 8,88,144)|
|Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships, Doctoral Study||CAD 70,000(INR 41,44,672)|
An IELTS band score of 6.5 or above.
You must obtain a minimum of 4.0 GPA in the last 2 years of full-time studies.
The non-refundable application fee at McGill University is CAD 156 (INR 9,236)
Are you planning to study at McGill University? Contact our Leverage Edu experts for end-to-end assistance starting from your university application to the time you reach your university and commence your studies. Call us at 1800 57 2000 to book a FREE 30-minutes counseling session today.