College admission tests like IELTS, TOEFL were not conducted due to the pandemic and closing down of test centres. Since the option of the Duolingo test became popular as more and more universities started accepting it. If you want to study in the USA and want to know Duolingo accepted universities in USA, then this blog is meant for you! Read on to know more!
Must Read: 5 Reasons to Study in USA
Requirements to take Duolingo Test
Before we look into the Duolingo accepted universities in USA, let us find out the requirements to take the test. They are listed below:
- A Valid ID: Drivers license, Passport, or any other Government ID will do.
- Well Lit Room: The room where you take the test must be properly lit and free of any kind of noise or distraction.
- Computer: A computer with a solid internet connection along with a front-facing camera, microphone and supported browser (Chrome, Opera)
What all does the Duolingo test cover?
As we move further in this blog of Duolingo accepted universities in USA, let us take a glance at everything covered by the said test. Duolingo does not very long and lengthy reading and writing prompt rather it has short questions that evaluate and measure the same skills. The elements of the test are:
- The test
- The adaptive test
- The video interview or writing test
The setup or the first stage of the test includes a fast 5 minute set up which helps and allows you to try the test before buying it. Once when you have decided to take the test, you will be given instructions regarding how to download the app on your computer.
Next, you must go through the process of checking if your mic and camera are working properly and then submit your ID.
The Adaptive Test
After you begin with the test, you will be required to finish an adaptive test. This section is scored and assesses the test-taker’s speaking, writing, listening and reading skills. You will be expected to finish a few small tests in this section. Here are the major tasks that are included in this test:
- Write down what is happening in a picture
- Type out those words or phrases you listen
- Speak a short-essay
- Jumbled sentences
- Write an answer
- Read a sentence aloud
- Select real English words from a list
Also Read: Study in USA Without IELTS
The Video Interview and Writing Test
After you complete the adaptive test, you will be required to take a video interview and complete a writing test. This section of the test will be sent to any institution you send your score to.
You will be given two topics out of which you will be asked to speak on one for a time span of two to three minutes. Once you select a topic out of the two options given to you, a timer will start for two to three minutes. You can talk about the topic you have chosen for as long as you want in this time frame.
After completing the video interview, you will be asked to choose one from the two topics given to you, and write about it for three to five minutes. A few examples for the writing test include:
- Write about a time when you loved spending time in nature. What do you think about whether we should spend more time outdoors.
- Write about the person who has largely impacted you. Also mention what impact you had on them and how.
Duolingo Accepted Universities in USA
Here is the complete list of USA universities which accept Duolingo scores from international students
- NYU Stern School of Business
- Yale University
- University of Illinois’s Urbana Campaign’s College of Business
- Cornell University’s Johnson School of Management
- Stanford University
- Washington University
- Vanderbilt University
- Swarthmore College
This was all about Duolingo accepted universities in USA. We hope now you are not confused about taking the Duolingo test and worried about IELTS or TOEFL. For any admission related query or to make your study abroad dreams come true, get in touch with our experts at Leverage Edu. Sign up for your free session today! Follow us on Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.