With Amazon Fires and Australian Bushfires causing havoc, these forest fires are a huge setback in the collaborative efforts of countries across the world to combat global warming and the negative impact it has over the world. With a rising number in the cases of forest fires, the need for stringent laws regarding forest conservation is the need of the hour. Now, domain-specific experts are needed who can devise strategies that not only cater to the growing demands of humans but also do that in a sustainable way. Thus, if you are a nature lover and want to kick-start your career in this field, you can consider pursuing a BSc Forestry degree. The course is structured to train the students in taking various responsibilities like protecting and conserving wildlife and managing the forest resources. In this blog, we will discuss the components like the eligibility criteria and the career prospects associated with the BSc Forestry course.
This Blog Includes:
- BSc Forestry: Course Overview
- Major Subjects Covered
- Eligibility Criteria
- BSc Forestry Admission Process
- Top Universities Offering BSc Forestry Abroad
- Top Universities Offering BSc Forestry in India
- Employment Areas for BSc Forestry Graduates
- Job Profiles & Salary
- BSc Forestry Books
- Skills for BSc Forestry
BSc Forestry: Course Overview
A 4-year undergraduate degree program, the BSc Forestry course incorporates the elements of theoretical concepts of forestry with practical knowledge. The course follows a semester-based system and the syllabus is divided across 8 semesters. From managing new and maintaining old plantations to creating frameworks to prevent the extinction of nonrenewable resources, the course equips students with the necessary skills to build a strong career in this field. The students are also expected to adapt to a new environment, be adventurous, and have an enthusiasm for outdoor activities. Further, here is a list of major areas students can specialize in after completing BSc Forestry:
- Biological Sciences
- Environmental Studies
- Biochemistry and Industrial Microbiology
|Course Name||BSc Forestry|
|Entrance Exam||OUAT, ICAR|
|Eligibility||Passed Class 12 from a recognized board|
|Course Duration||4 Years|
|Job Profiles||Agri-Credit Manager, Farming Manager|
Major Subjects Covered
The actual course offerings for a BSc Forestry mainly differ as per the university and program. To give you an overview of what this course entails, we have enlisted some of the major subjects covered under this course:
|Silviculture||Moral and Value Education||Biodiversity||General Biochemistry|
|Forest Mensuration||Environmental Studies||Introduction to Geology||Fundamentals of Extension Education|
|Treed Seed Technology||Introduction to Tree Science||Livestock Management||Silvicultural Systems|
|General and Forest Microbiology||Nutrient Management||Pest Management||Forest Entomology|
|Nursery Management||Forest Utilization||Wildlife Management||Forest Soil Survey & Land Use|
To pursue BSc Forestry, there are certain eligibility criteria you have to fulfil. Given below are some of the conditions:
- The candidates must have completed their higher secondary education in the Science stream preferably with Biology as a core subject from a recognized educational board.
- The students must have scored a minimum percentile in their higher secondary final exams.
- The applicants must have a valid IELTS or TOEFL score.
- The candidates will be also required to submit an essay, a Statement of Purpose (SOP) and optional Letters of Recommendation.
BSc Forestry Admission Process
There are two ways to secure admission in top universities offering BSc Forestry. The first is through the merit and the second through the entrance exam.
- Merit-Based: Some universities admit applicants based on their scores in class 10+2. Applicants have to apply through the university admission portal and get admission based on their marks in class 12.
- Entrance Exam: For admission into BSc Forestry various entrance exams are conducted like OUAT, ICAR, GSAT, BHU UET. Applicants have to fill up the application form and then appear for the entrance test accepted by the university they are aiming to study in. After clearing the entrance test various rounds of counseling are conducted by the authority and only after the counseling session applicants are able to secure admission in BSc Forestry Seat.
Top Universities Offering BSc Forestry Abroad
There is a wide range of colleges and universities around the world which offer BSc Forestry and its related courses. Offered as a 4-5 year programs, bachelor’s degrees in Forestry aim to train students pertaining to forest and resource management, environment conservation, tree science, silviculture, to name a few. Take a look at some of the major universities offering BSc Forestry and its course variants:
- University of Leon
- The University of Canterbury
- Bangor University
- Macquarie University
- Southern Cross University
- Massey University
- University of Canberra
- University of Alberta
- Lakehead University
- University of New Brunswick
- Thompson Rivers University
- The University of British Columbia
- University of Cumbria
Top Universities Offering BSc Forestry in India
There are numerous colleges in India offering BSc in forestry. Applicants often get confused about selecting the best college to pursue their dream degree. Below is a list of the Top 10 colleges for BSc Forestry in India:
- Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology
- Mewar University
- Jawaharlal Nehru Krishi Vishwavidyalaya
- Vasantrao Nair Marathwada Krishi Vidyapeeth
- Institute of Media Management, Technology, and Agrosciences
- North Eastern Regional Institute of Science and Technology
- Himalayan Institute of Technology
- Guru Ghasidas Vishwavidyalaya
- Vasantrao Nair Marathwada Krishi Vidyapeeth
- Punjab Agricultural University
Employment Areas for BSc Forestry Graduates
The curriculum of the degree program imparts domain-specific knowledge and equips students with skills necessary to build a strong career in this field. Thus, there is a wide range of industries where the BSc Forestry graduates can work. Some of which are mentioned below:
- Forest Departments
- Zoological Parks
- Colleges and Universities
- Horticulture Departments
- Wildlife Sanctuaries
- Agriculture Departments
Job Profiles & Salary
From drafting a blueprint for the conservation programs to implementing them for the overall development of the forests, a BSc Forestry graduate has numerous responsibilities to shoulder on. Given below are some of the most suitable job profiles the students can work after obtaining the degree:
|Job Profiles||Salary per annum (in INR)|
|Teacher and Lecturer||₹456390|
BSc Forestry Books
If you are planning to study BSc Forestry below-mentioned books are great for preparation, revision, and practice of entrance exam. The books are easily available in local markets and online stores as well. Here are some of the reference books for BSc Forestry:
|Forestry Refresher – B B Singh Bimlendra Kumari||Buy Here|
|Forestry: Principles and Applications – Antony Joseph Raj, S.B. Lai||Buy Here|
|Forestry – A Subjective Guide For Ifs Aspirants – K.T. Parthiban||Buy Here|
|Universal Objective Forestry- Mohit Husain||Buy Here|
Skills for BSc Forestry
Just like you need to have imaginative, Out of the box, and creative thinking to build a career in advertising. Just like that, there are some skills that will help you build a career after BSc Forestry. With strong determination and hard work you can ace anything, these skills are just cherry on the top:
- Quality Control Analysis
- Scientific aptitude
- Organizational skills
- Operational Analysis
- Critical Thinking
- Leadership skills
- Managing Resources
- Research skills
- Active Listening
- Decision Making
- Time Management
- Service Orientation
Popular job profiles are nursery and farming managers, Agri- credit manager, etc.
It depends on the university, some universities don’t require mathematics while in some mathematics is mandatory for admission.
The course of BSc Forestry is of 4 years duration.
The average salary can range between Rs.5,00,000 to Rs.8,00,000
The eligibility requirement is different in every institution. However, an applicant should have cleared class 12th from a recognized board is the common and mandatory requirement for admission in BSc Forestry.
Thus, pursuing BSc Forestry opens the door to an array of career opportunities. If you want to study abroad but are not sure about how to get started with the admission process then the experts at Leverage Edu will lend you a helping hand in completing the admission-related formalities and help you kick-start your career in this field.