Having the zeal to explore the field of science that pertains to the study of the Animal Kingdom; it’s evolution, clarification, habitats, and the distribution? Does the prospect of discovering new species of living organisms, learning new facets of diversity and existence of life electrifies you? Then, a course in BSc Zoology might catch your attention. A course in Zoology includes the study of several subfields like Ichthyology (the study of fishes), Entomology (the study of insects) and Herpetology (the study of reptiles and amphibians) and Ornithology (the study of birds). So, if you are tickled by the vast amount of opportunities that you can find once you progress in this direction, then, read on! Through this blog, we would explore different facets of the curriculum of BSc Zoology.
|Name of the Course||Bachelor of Science in Zoology|
|Entrance Exam in India||BHU UET, MCAER CET, NEST, JEST|
|Courses after BSc Zoology||MSc Zoology, PhD Zoology|
|Jobs||Ecologist, Nature Conservation Officer, Environmental Manager, Conservationist, Zoo Curator, Veterinary Doctor|
|Salary||2.5 Lakhs to 7 Lakhs|
This Blog Includes:
About BSc Zoology
BSc Zoology is a 3-year undergraduate program that entails the advanced study and research in the field of Biological Oceanography, Competitive Physiology, Ecology, Developmental and Cell Biology, Vertebrate and Invertebrate Zoology, Parasitology, etc. Ranging from the physiology to biomechanics and systematic revolution, it involves the study of different subjects pertaining to biochemical genetics, biological control and other special areas of research. The syllabus entails the study of Morphology, Embryology, Immunology, Ecology and various other courses that build over the period of your degree. To prepare you for further prospects in multiple fields, the course engages you in regular practical sessions, theory-based papers and regular outdoor tours to help the students get hands-on experience to conquer the outer world.
Also Read: BSc Environmental Science
BSc Zoology Syllabus
BSc Zoology 1st Year Syllabus
- Biochemistry and Cellular basis of life
- Evolution and Genetics
- Cell and Molecular Biology
- Wildlife Forensics
- Microbial Diversity
- Development and Management of British Habitats
BSc Zoology 2nd Year Syllabus
- Biology of Vertebrates
- Vertebrate Organisms
- Animal Behaviour
- Organismal and Population Biology
- Research Methods
- sZoo Science
- Wildlife conservation
BSc Zoology 3rd Year Syllabus
- Marine Ecology
- Conservation of Ecology
- Oncology and Immunology
- Behavioural Physiology
- Community and Population Ecology
- Wildlife conservation
- Anthropogenic Threats to Biosphere
- Welfare and Behaviour of Domesticated Animals
Must Read: Branches of Zoology
To pursue a certain degree, there are a few conditions that you would need to fulfil to get admission in universities abroad. So, while aiming to seek admission in BSc Zoology, consider these generalised eligibility conditions of some of the top universities around the world enlisted below:
- A 10+2 qualification from a recognised college/university or its equivalent with minimum qualifying marks.
- To get admission in BSc Zoology in India, you might be required to qualify exams like BHU UET, MCAER CET, NEST, JEST, etc. depending upon the university you are applying for.
- Certified copies of your academic transcripts along with other necessary documents.
- If you are planning to study abroad, you must provide the following:
Top 10 Universities for BSc Zoology Abroad
When it comes to building a career in Zoology, there are uncountable top-ranked universities abroad offering the course. Check out the list of 10 universities you can choose from and take a leap towards your dream course:
- Cornell University
- University of Edinburgh
- The University of Melbourne
- University of British Columbia
- The University of Queensland
- University of California, Davis
- University of California, Santa Barbara
- The University of Manchester
- University of Wisconsin
- The Ohio State University
Top BSc Zoology Colleges in India
Being a course that has been in demand for those aspiring to build a career in Zoology, there are numerous universities and colleges in India that offer BSc Zoology. Here are the top BSc colleges in India:
- Sri Venkateswara College, Delhi
- The Maharaja Sayajirao University, Vadodara
- Calicut University
- Visva Bharati University, West Bengal
- Patna University
- STAREX University, Gurgaon
- PDM University, Bahadurgarh
Top Entrance Exams in India
For admission to top colleges in India, applicants have to appear for various entrance exams. Here are some of the top entrance exams you can appear for career in Zoology in India:
- Visit the official website of the university.
- Check the course curriculum and the eligibility requirements.
- Click on the application form of the respective university.
- First, you need to create an account using your mobile number or email address.
- You will receive an email or SMS on your registered contact number with login details and verification.
- Use the login details provided and enter your personal details ( name, gender, date of birth).
- Enter your academic qualification and upload the required documents.
- Select the course and pay the application fee.
- The application fee is different for every university and can be paid through a debit/credit card or internet banking.
- Submit your application form, you can also track your application form through your account.
- Students that have been selected will be required to attend a virtual interview by some universities.
Attend Uniconnect Virtual Fair by Leverage Edu and get a chance to directly connect with the admission committee of your dream university. Register Now!
- Official academic transcripts
- Scanned copy of passport
- CV/ Resume
- Letter of Recommendation
- English language proficiency test scores
- Statement of Purpose
- Two Reference Letters
- Postgraduate applicants have to submit a translation of the degree certificate in case the degree certificate is in another language other than English.
With BSc Zoology, one can move further in the field of research and development or work in a forest department. With numerous job prospects opening in this domain, you can also associate yourself with conservation groups who are always on the lookout for knowledgeable experts. Television channels like Discovery and National Geographic extend jobs to Zoology graduated who have an intense passion for Geography, Cartography and exploration. Besides this, the following are the profile that you can consider in this field:
- Nature Conservation Officer
- Environmental Manager
- Zoo Curator
- Veterinary Doctor
- Animal Educator
- Nutrition Specialist
- Medical Representative
Job Profiles & Salary
Students can opt for various courses after BSc Zoology in a variety of specializations. Also, if you are planning to pursue a master’s degree in field, MSc Zoology is most suited for you, followed by MPhil or PhD to advance in research. The average salary of a Zoologist in India is ₹406946 as per payscale. After completing a BSc degree in Zoology, you can expect to around 2 Lakhs to 7 Lakhs depending upon the job as well as the organisation you are working with. Here are some prominent job profiles along with the salary structure via PayScale:
BSc Zoology vs BSc Botany
A bachelor’s of science in botany is a three-year undergraduate programme in plant science, which aims at scientifically studying the life of a plant. This course includes practical as well theoretical study of plants. There are several subfields of botany that explore all the species of plants from unicellular plants to advanced courses like biotechnology.
BSc Zoology is the advanced study and research in the field of Biological Oceanography, Competitive Physiology, Ecology, Developmental and Cell Biology, Vertebrate and Invertebrate Zoology, Parasitology. It engages you in regular practical sessions, theory-based papers and regular outdoor tours to help the students get hands-on experience to conquer the outer world.
BSc Zoology Books
There are various books available in the market and online. Here is the list of top books that will help you score good in exams:
- Zoology For Degree Students B.Sc. I Year by V K Agarwal
- B.Sc Third Year ZOOLOGY ( Immunology and Animal Biotechnology )
- Vinesh A Text Book of Applied Zoology B.Sc. IIIrd Year H.P.U., B.Sc. Sem. V KU, CUS by DR. IQBAL SINGH BHATTI
- A Textbook of Economic Zoology Sponsored A Textbook of Economic Zoology by Aminul Islam
- A Basic Glossary of Invertebrate Zoology Sponsored A Basic Glossary of Invertebrate Zoology by Ron Clouse
If you love animals and are fascinated by wildlife, then a degree in BSc Zoology is most suited for you. It will enable you to choose from a range of Zoology specializations and opening career opportunities in areas like Ecology, Research and Conservation. Need help in choosing the best career? You can talk to our counsellors at Leverage Edu and we can guide you in identifying the right place to give your career a boost!
After completing bsc zoology graduation what are the job opportunities?
Thanks for reading.
After completing bsc zoology graduation what are the job opportunities?
Please connect with our experts on 1800572000 and find out unique opportunities to get you after BSc Zoology!
Except mbbs which course is the other course related to the study of humans
You can read: https://leverageedu.com/blog/medical-courses-without-neet/
Please Guide me , what should I do after 12th
Hi Amrit. This a very serious question to ask yourself and leaves many students confused. However, if you just take the right steps, it becomes easy. For starters, we recommend you check out our AI Course Finder tool. It will help you find the best courses based on your preferences. There is a vast selection of courses and universities available and it all boils down to your background and what you enjoy doing. If you need expert guidance, please give us a call at 1800572000.